Should DST be given a license to cover JJ Abrams Star Trek?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Poll: Should DST be given a license to cover JJ Abrams Star Trek? (28 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you thin DST should have a license for the JJ Abrams Star Trek movies?

1. Voted YES! (16 votes [57.14%])

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

2. NO! (4 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

3. Maybe but not at the expense of classic Trek product (8 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:34 AM

It seems to me that part of the reason Abrams went off to do Star Wars was because of marketing issues surrounding CBS and Paramount over Star Trek.

It seems as though marketing for Into Darkness was better this time round (certainly overseas) but the lack of merchandise this time round really showed, so far KREO is all we've been given and distribution of those sets has been SHOCKING. With Hasbro and DST doing Marvel products successfully in tandem do you now think that DST should be allowed to do product based on the JJ Abrams movies?

I would say yes they should. It's working great for Marvel products from DST who make both original comic book and movie versions of Marvel's super hero's - appealing to the hardcore long time comic book fans as well as the newcomers coming in off the back of the movie's. Giving DST the rights to produce toys from all aspects of Star Trek would in my opinion bring both new and old together under one scale and one style allowing Star Trek fans and casual fans of both or either Trek's to buy and collect the most definitive Star Trek toy line since Playmates 90's line.

DST have also an established line and more importantly an established Star Trek fan base collecting their product (all be it some of us bitch and moan about Picard Select from time to time). Adding the most recent Star Trek's to that line would only drive sales and improve the profile of the line to "outsiders" and casual fans that may not be aware of DST's current Star Trek line.

There is another reason why I think DST should be given the rights... DST are limited at the moment to only the most generally iconic aspects of Trek. That means a lot of TOS and TNG product but less for DS9 - Enterprise. Now I'm just guessing but If DST were given the rights to JJ Abrams Star Trek movies, the profits made from those toys could be used to make more product from the shows which receive very little attention right now.

#2 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:34 AM

Yes. I think they would be great in the select line and even minimates.

#3 2thGuy

2thGuy

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:52 AM

I'm betting DST couldn't afford the $$$ being asked by CBS/Paramount for licensing.  However, they would have to be doing a better job than what we've got.  This year's movie merchandise has been a total disappointment for me.  I've got money to spend and nowhere and nothing to spend it on!  I've looked at brick and mortar stores for the $1 Hot Wheels, as well as the 1/50 scale Hot Wheels die cast ships- no luck.  No fast food tie in. KREO interests me not.  All I've got to look forward to is the Hallmark ornaments coming next month.  Argggg...  

#4 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:38 PM

Yep. I'd love a select line and the main ship. Kre-o is fun but will never replace a high quality figure line.

#5 DSTZach

DSTZach

I can stop I just don't want to.

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:33 PM

There is another reason why I think DST should be given the rights... DST are limited at the moment to only the most generally iconic aspects of Trek. That means a lot of TOS and TNG product but less for DS9 - Enterprise. Now I'm just guessing but If DST were given the rights to JJ Abrams Star Trek movies, the profits made from those toys could be used to make more product from the shows which receive very little attention right now.

Just FYI, us getting the Abrams license would probably mean less DS9, Voyager and Enterprise product. For any company, having the license to highly profitable product would make product that would not sell as well a lower priority. So be careful what you wish for. Right now we've got product from all five shows in stores.

#6 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:34 PM

Didn't we get those Fighter Pod things as well? LOL! Yeah,not much fun new Trek movie merch. And even though we have to be careful what we wish for.....can't we just have it all!? lol!.....I would love it if DST got new movie stuff out there! QMX looks like they've got some good stuff coming up,even a Comic Con exclusive.

Zach,you gonna be at Comic Con? And NYCC in October?

J-R!

#7 Alex

Alex

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:02 AM

I'm marking my vote down for "maybe, but not at the expense of classic Trek product." Although I would really love to see DST's take on the JJ–prise, I don't want it to come at the loss of something like the Defiant, Voyager, or another lesser known, but equally interesting ship. Likewise, I'd rather have 24th Century Trek Tek than anything from the last two movies. Similarly, and I realize that I'll probably take Phaser fire for this one, I'm honestly sick of Kirk and Spock at this point in any capacity. (This isn't aimed at DST, but at Trek merchandise and Trek in general.)

As much as I'd like a DST JJ–prise electronic starship, especially after seeing how Playmates Toys handled theirs, I don't want it to detract from all of the Prime Universe ships that I'd still love to see made.

#8 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:42 AM

I say why not!

If DST can make money from it then more power to them!

Right now I think I like DST's Trek Tech best, and If they did good Phasers and Communicators from JJ's verse, I bet they would sell at retail.

#9 DSTZach

DSTZach

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:21 AM

I'll be at both shows, yes.

#10 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:27 AM

I'd like to see DST do Abrams movie Trek merchandise during the year a movie is released and then to fill the space between movies, come out with the classic Trek assortments they do at the moment.

Zach, Even though the emphasis would be to sell items based on new Trek which may mean that for a while at least, DS9 and VOY and ENT would be sidelined, wouldn't it in the long run improve sales across your line with fans of both new and old being able to have (finally) toys done in the same scale and style. One thing that has bemused me over licensing for the new Star Trek is the lack of tying both new and old together more.

Plus would it improve your Star Trek line's relevancy amongst the more casual Trekkers and new fans coming in off of the new movies having the rights to the most current Trek?  

#11 DSTZach

DSTZach

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:28 PM

If we only did Abrams Trek during a movie year, then we'll never have that opportunity again! :)

Sure, it would help our other lines to do new Trek, especially if we mix the eras, I'm just saying that that's another era competing for space, one that will always win. We're putting out some pretty great product right now, but a lot of people still ask when we'll do the new Trek. We'll see how that TNG Kreo does.

And now that Abrams is moving on, we'll see what happens going forward, but I don't see anything changing any time soon.

#12 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:14 PM

What Zach says makes sense, if they had the new Trek license, it would take priority over more obscure minimates and other stuff from shows that are less profitable. Here i am being a negative nellie again, or "the pointy eared bastard" , but i dont see the Abrams stuff bringing in new collectors. For one, these items are sold mostly at specialty stores or TRU, and anyone who looks at figures in those stores knows about  DST's line. Also, how many people have come to be Star Trek collectors because of the Abrams movies? Maybe a few, but if my area is any indication, i think the number of Star Trek fans in Wilmington that buy Star Trek toys can be counted on one hand, with fingers to spare. This is a beach town with a big university and lots of tourists and yet the local comic book stores cant sell Star Trek stuff. We have over 209,000 people in our small county with neighboring counties coming here to shop, and a large tourist trade and yet no body buys star trek stuff. Sometimes i wonder if the people on this forum are the only people that buy Star Trek toys anymore.

#13 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:48 AM

I believe DST ships to be much better (accuracy alone) than Playmates, so yes, DST should get the license for nu-Trek. If they get it, and make all of it before a Defiant, Reliant, Voyager etc etc etc, they'll never see a penny of my money again. They've made every ship I ever wanted (with Excelsior to come!), so basically, give me a Defiant, then do what you like. smiley_thumbs_Up.gif

#14 tuvok47

tuvok47

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:19 PM

Just saw this post on another board.

"I just got an e-mail reply from Hasbro after sending them one about 7 weeks ago regarding the lack of actual action figures for Star Trek Into Darkness, in it they claim to not have the license for the action figures, only the items from the Kreon and KReo lines. Funny thing is they say DST has the right to the action figures"

Guess somebody at Hasbro has their wires crossed?

#15 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:34 PM

That's great Zach! Thanks for letting me know. I'll be at both too so I might see ya there since I'm going by your booth. Any exclusives for NYCC as well? Loving the BoP!

J-R!

#16 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:19 AM

Just saw this post on another board.

"I just got an e-mail reply from Hasbro after sending them one about 7 weeks ago regarding the lack of actual action figures for Star Trek Into Darkness, in it they claim to not have the license for the action figures, only the items from the Kreon and KReo lines. Funny thing is they say DST has the right to the action figures"

Guess somebody at Hasbro has their wires crossed?

My guess would be crossed wires, but it's also possible that DST acquired the rights to the JJ–verse and is simply under an NDA/NCA preventing them from talking about it just yet. Keeping in mind that an NDA would effectively require DST to deny having such a license, it's possible that they do, but more likely that they don't.

#17 DSTZach

DSTZach

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:04 PM

That's great Zach! Thanks for letting me know. I'll be at both too so I might see ya there since I'm going by your booth. Any exclusives for NYCC as well? Loving the BoP!

J-R!

Nothing for NYCC that I know of, John-Robin. But please come by and say hello!

#18 DSTZach

DSTZach

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:05 PM

My guess would be crossed wires, but it's also possible that DST acquired the rights to the JJ–verse and is simply under an NDA/NCA preventing them from talking about it just yet. Keeping in mind that an NDA would effectively require DST to deny having such a license, it's possible that they do, but more likely that they don't.

I think somebody at Hasbro is confused. I tried to replicate this answer by writing in myself, rather than take someone's word for it, but they didn't mention us in their response. 

#19 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:12 AM

Thanks for the heads–up Zach, I kind of figured it was just a case of someone being a tad confused, but wasn't sure. On the plus side though, it sounds like its someone at the lower end of the chain instead of the higher one, so it's not like everyone asking this question is being lead to believe DST has a license that they don't. I can only imagine the headache you guys would have trying to explain that error.

#20 DSTZach

DSTZach

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:37 PM

Well, it's not like we don't already get asked that question seven times a day. :D

Everyone REALLY wants us to do Into Darkness stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users