Photo

McFarlane Toys Gets Entire Star Trek Licence!

• Please log in to reply
488 replies to this topic

#21 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 06:55 PM

I looked into it also. I noticed they've done some vehicles to go with figures and probably the closest to a standalone ship is the boat from Jaws. Thy also did some props for TWD. So I could see them taking those areas on as well. I agree DST should at least get the Reliant out, but wether that's even possible or they'll get it out in a timely manner before McFarlane decides to go after that area is definitely questionable.

#22 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 06:59 PM

Now, Eaglemoss are going to be doing Discovery ships in a different partworks.

The powers that be may just think that with Eaglemoss doing ships (of different scales) and McFarlane doing the figures and perhaps props, that there's no need for DST to be doing ships.

QMx are likely to remain doing high end replicas and gifts.

FanSets are going to be doing a line of Discovery pins.

I'm not really sure where DST would fit into this if I were a retailer or John Van Citters (head of CBS Consumer Products).

A lot of fans I imagine felt that Playmates not continuing with Star Trek meant that a lot of ships and figures went without being done.

Art Asylum stepped up and have given us a lot of product and a lot of ships in their time but they won't get to do everything so isn't this just the same thing?

#23 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:05 PM

I've gotta say, if Mega Construx don't carry on then I'm probably done collecting Star Trek stuff. I might get the odd thing from McFarlane but all these toy companies with either failed or canned Star Trek lines has royally pissed me off so why the feck bother.

#24 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:10 PM

I could see them doing the props sure, but electronic ships are a completely different beast to what they've made vehicle wise.

If DST could be allowed to release their Reliant, Borg Figure, and TNG phaser, then move on from the license, I'd be much happier with it.

I love EM, but their jumbo ships aren't the same as what DST releases.

#25 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:13 PM

Yeah I think the wait and see approach is the way to go. The only way I'm jumping into a new line right away is if it either fits in perfectly with the Playmates line or AA/DST line and adds characters we haven't gotten yet. I'm in no rush to go buy another Kirk or Spock figure.

#26 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:23 PM

I have 2 Picards, I don't have any interest in another one.

Kirk though I haven't bought yet. I don't really want to drop $70 on Mezco, and DST's Select Kirk figure doesn't interest me since he can't have a normal pose. Same applies for Spock.

If Macfarlane release a Kirk with a nice pose like some of their current Color Tops figures, I'd definitely be interested. Again, same applies for Spock.

IF the ship license leaves DST, and Macfarlane takes a crack at it, it'd have to be pretty amazing for me to replace any of my current DST ships.

Even EM's jumbos haven't interested me at this point. If/when they release Voyager, Defiant, Prometheus, or any of the Kelvin ships at that size it'd be a different story.

#27 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:36 PM

The one thing that I think would be interesting is if they do the building sets like they did for TWD. Other than that I'm not really interested in 7" statues.

I'd rather see Mega Construx continue doing the building sets than McF.

I would love that, too.  Could that have been what Mega was trying to tell you (was it you, 1701D?) when they said "wait and see when Discovery comes out?"  It could also have been a polite, legal way of expressing "...*some*one will probalby make you some more sets"...

They are hitting the construction sets big, I have Rick & Morty and South Park sets on preorder and they are going to be doing Stephen Universe, too.  I have some of the Walking Dead sets.  Star Trek McFarlane construction sets would be AWESOME.

Figures, on the other hand...not sure how to feel.  The smaller articulated line might be OK if they do a run of those...statues, I don't need/want.  Might hold off buying any TOS/TNG until we see if they will actually give us the characters DST never would...

But on the whole, I'm glad to see DST losing at least some, if not all, of the stranglehold on things.

#28 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:14 PM

Well I've been a keen Trekkie and pestered John Van Citters and Mega Construx on Twitter and we might be seeing some mention of them during the Licensing Expo 2017 in Vegas. This was where we first learnt of Mega Bloks releasing the awesome Enterprise model in 2015 as it was on display there.

One can only hope that Mega are involved in Star Trek's future as from what I can tell, their 50th Anniversary sets were really well received.

McFarlane sets look alright but they lack the design style of construction sets that Mega and Lego have and to me that kind of defeats the purpose so if that's what we get, I'll pass.

I'd probably put a figure of Michael Burnham down on my Christmas list and then keep her on my TV stand.

It's if they do something cool with Star Trek that will get me interested in it. Art Asylum hooked me back in 2001 with their Enterprise line as I'd never seen toys that detailed.

Mega hooked me with their massive Enterprise and honestly because of that Enterprise and the rest of their Star Trek sets, that's hooked me onto Lego again for the first time since I was a kid.

Saturn V will be sat right next to my Enterprise and if rumours are true, a $600 Millennium Falcon will be sat next to them both come Christmas time... I've not got the time or the money to be spending on McFarlane.

So I'm hoping that the cryptic responses I've got from both John Van Citters and Mega Construx are signs that something from them is coming... my fingers are crossed

#29 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:29 PM

Well...I'll be happy with Mega OR McFarlane sets...OR both! But...if you thought AA was detailed... McFarlane sets are incredible...and better than figures you get dioramas. Imagine a full TNG bridge...with stunning realism. And on and on. Cool little small sets too... could finally get "THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" dio...lulz. My imagination is running wild but there you have it. Whichever of the two is listening let's get it done!

#30 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:55 PM

I've had a look at a few McFarlane toys on YouTube, reviews from
Shartimus Prime etc... The Halo and Mass Effect figures look decent, the Walking Dead figures less so as they lack the articulation.

Saw a couple of reviews for their building sets and it's a definite pass if that's what we get. Not my cup of tea. Covering all of the studs defeats the purpose of doing building sets and the mini figures look silly.

Honestly if Mega Construx isn't to be and I decide that I like the 7 inch Kirk and Picard, and they are better versions than the DST Select figures; more aticulation, better sculpt, detail and quality then I'd rather just have the figure than a huge display base.

As a spectator right now, I'm not surprised it's gone to McFarlane Toys. The truth is that diamond select have been ridiculous in getting anything out to consumers in a timely manner. there's way too much time between releases and people have ultimately lost interest and moved on or just given up.

#31 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 22 May 2017 - 12:47 AM

Wow! I certainly didn't see this one coming! I saw the Dark Crystal figure announcement by McFarlane Toys but due to my anticipation of the new Twin Peaks series, I did not immediately see the Star Trek news. Of McFarlane, I will say this, we modern collectors owe this company our thanks as they brought in a more highly detailed and artistically sound aesthetic to our hobby in the early 90s. Many companies followed this example, but McFarlane was the first. I need more time to let this news sink in as the hour is late and I need to be to work in the morning. I will be back to share more thoughts and I think we are in for great things!

#32 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:00 AM

I really hope DST is allowed to continue with the electronic ships.

#33 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:38 AM

Well just to be clear I was talking about their construction sets alone with respect to the dioramas in micro scale... when it comes to big figures I'm definitely not into display bases/dios that much if they are bulky standalone pieces suited to one particular figure. Have not bought a single DST Trek Select for that reason...

#34 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:05 AM

As DST have basically had Star Trek on life support for years, I don't mind McFarlane taking over the figures. Yes, I'd rather have NECA. But I got a couple Color Tops figures from Titanfall and Gears of War and they are nicely done. But they are basically statues. That being said, the Jareth figure is supposed to have quite a bit more articulation, so it's possible. I think, looking at the clearance sales on all their statue figures, they must have learned the lesson that the market really doesn't want plastic statues. They want more articulation. I'll miss the cool dioramas DST provided, but they really only seemed interested in providing those for TOS-related figures.

That being said, I would have liked DST to retain the roleplay and ship license. It mentions McFarlane taking over roleplay. I do wonder about the ships. Even though they come out at a snail's pace, I was hoping we'd keep seeing new releases from them. That being said, nothing has even been hinted about roleplay-wise after the TNG phaser. So maybe they were winding down any way.

#35 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:23 AM

This is the best news I've heard in a long time concerning Trek product. I love the Walking Dead figures from Macfarlane. Their Halo stuff can be nice too. I've been waiting for someone other than DST to get the license for so long. Lol. At least Macfarlane seems to know how to keep characters in scale with each other. I'm very excited. I can't wait!!!!! This made my day!

#36 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:38 AM

That being said, I would have liked DST to retain the roleplay and ship license. It mentions McFarlane taking over roleplay. I do wonder about the ships. Even though they come out at a snail's pace, I was hoping we'd keep seeing new releases from them. That being said, nothing has even been hinted about roleplay-wise after the TNG phaser. So maybe they were winding down any way.

The best possible scenario I can see is that McFarlane makes new figures and role play and DST is allowed to keep making ships and with the figures and tek off their plate they can get a better schedule going with the ships.  I dont really have a problem with McFarlane toys getting the trek license but I dont really collect figures or Tek so its kind of a moot point for me.  Now if they decide to do ships Ok but as others have pointed out I already have a classic Enterprise and E-D and was looking forward to other ships from DST.  

I at least hope that the Reliant is still in the bag.

#37 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:48 AM

Maybe DST will go after the license for Orville now.

#38 Nigel

Nigel

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:08 AM

AA/DST gave us many years of great figures back in the 2000's and I'll still miss those. I hope they can keep making the ships. But if this means we might get some more DS9 and Voyager figures I think it's great that McFarlane got the license. More than 1 figure a year would be cool, too. :P

#39 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:25 AM

It would be nice to have Zach comment on this.

#40 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:55 AM

Pretty sure Zach gave up on this forum a long time ago.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users