• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 spider1981

spider1981

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:19 PM

Thanks to a link from Gothneo, I uploaded some photos of Janeway to www.thatsmyface.com out of curiosity. I think the concept shows promise, and think the result looks pretty cool.
The only downside is their female hairstyles are very limited.

Link Here.

Has anyone ordered anything from them before?
I plan to eventually, but can't financially justify it at the moment.

#2 Juan Martinez

Juan Martinez

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:46 PM

QUOTE (spider1981 @ Sep 12 2010, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks to a link from Gothneo, I uploaded some photos of Janeway to www.thatsmyface.com out of curiosity. I think the concept shows promise, and think the result looks pretty cool.
The only downside is their female hairstyles are very limited.

Link Here.

Has anyone ordered anything from them before?
I plan to eventually, but can't financially justify it at the moment.

That is great. I so want to do this now. I will be captain of my ship!!! Thanks

#3 Pauln6

Pauln6

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 05:50 AM

Frickin awesome. I could have so much fun with this if I had more money! Shame though - no Trek-style bodies in the example 6" figures. I'd need me a female TMP body and I'd be straight in there saving up for an Ilia.

Actually I'd probably go for some custom X-men heads too - a Kitty from X3 would be cool.

#4 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:49 PM

wow. that does look good. I think there's at least 1 hair style that I think looks ok! And the "Auburn" color looks fine as well!

There's a solution that doesn't include any painting!

...but I think they are pricey...

Thanks for doing that spider1981!

#5 Juan Martinez

Juan Martinez

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:47 PM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Sep 13 2010, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wow. that does look good. I think there's at least 1 hair style that I think looks ok! And the "Auburn" color looks fine as well!

There's a solution that doesn't include any painting!

...but I think they are pricey...

Thanks for doing that spider1981!

What about LT Eddington from DS9? That would be a good one to do. I wonder if you can get 6 inch figure heads with a neck? Also, click on the cyborg head option. It may make a good borg figure.

#6 Pauln6

Pauln6

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 06:38 AM

We could finally produce a Janice figure if we can just persuade them to add 'giant beehive' to their list of hairstyles.

#7 Andy

Andy

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 05:08 PM

This is pretty amazing! Re Janeway's hair -- you can do her bald, that way someone can just sculpt the hair on... might be a better way to go if anyone is interested.

#8 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:26 AM

So since these cost a bit, what some enterprising person could do is get a bald version, sculpt some hair on and make a casting/mold and make and sell some for around the $10 range... then I think we'd have something.

#9 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:54 AM

Am I reading this right? This place can make heads? Is a Mark Lernard Romlan possible?

#10 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:24 PM

Yeah... they can make one! Just upload the photos.

#11 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:02 PM

im not sure its an actual 3d head but i scanned face thats printed onto a generic head. thats what it looks like but im not sure if casting would work.

#12 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:19 PM

So, I was looking for something else but stopped on this thread. right now the headsculpt only is $60. Would it be cheaper in bulk, I wonder? I would love a Mark Leonard Romulan in this scale, could we get it for closer to 20?
back to looking for the actual thread I wanted...

#13 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Custom Ships and Playsets

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:48 PM

QUOTE (Tiberius @ Feb 3 2012, 05:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, I was looking for something else but stopped on this thread. right now the headsculpt only is $60. Would it be cheaper in bulk, I wonder? I would love a Mark Leonard Romulan in this scale, could we get it for closer to 20?
back to looking for the actual thread I wanted...

I've been re-sizing heads and uniforms pieces for awhile now, scaling elements up from the 3.75" Mego line and down from the 8" DST line. Mostly I've been filling gaps in the Playmates line, but I also made a bunch of unproduced characters in the Mego 3.75" scale.

I never got into the AA/DST scale, but I could start making heads available. It would be pretty easy. They would be scaled up from the Playmates or Mego sculpts, (or scaled down from the 8-12" dolls if someone wanted to loan me the heads to cast...) and I could keep costs for unpainted heads very, very reasonable as long as there was sufficient interest. Maybe 30.00 for five unpainted heads in the DST/AA scale?

I sell my Playmates star trek customs on ebay under seller name "maltbyrob" if you want to see examples of some re-sized heads...

#14 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:01 PM

LOL that's you? I don't have a dollhouse, just wanted some chairs!
Are they cast from hallmark chairs?

#15 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE (Tiberius @ Feb 4 2012, 05:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LOL that's you? I don't have a dollhouse, just wanted some chairs!
Are they cast from hallmark chairs?

Yep, just a quick and dirty casting of the Hallmark chair with a Dollar Store champagne glass as the base... (not pretty, but simpler, stronger, and more difficult to screw up than casting the actual burke chair base would be...)

#16 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:09 PM

QUOTE (Fat Valentino @ Feb 4 2012, 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep, just a quick and dirty casting of the Hallmark chair with a Dollar Store champagne glass as the base... (not pretty, but simpler, stronger, and more difficult to screw up than casting the actual burke chair base would be...)

And by the way, re-sizing that Hallmark chair up to the DST Scale would be easy... cool.gif

#17 data_2006

data_2006

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:09 PM

sounds like a good plan to me always looking at ways to add figures smile.gif

#18 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:37 PM

What do you think the top 5 or 6 choices would be? Judging from this thread, It would appear that Mark Leonard Sarek/Romulan Commander, Janeway, the Doctor, Chapel or Rand, and Salt Vampire might be good choices. I could also make some aliens...

#19 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:36 PM

I would be very interested....can we start a new thread in order to gain some real interest?

#20 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:04 PM

I'm all for making it happen, especially since I have no personal interest in customizing in the AA/DST scale. I'm a Playmates 4.5" fan to the end! What I'd really like is to get about ten people or more interested, at a very reasonable price (something like 30 bucks for five or six resized AA/DST scale heads) so that I could buy a large amount of the required material, make the requested heads for everyone who's interested, then have material left over for a few of my personal resizing projects.

Can we do polls in the individual threads? Doing a poll of the top 6 characters might be a good way to decide who gets made. Also, this is very similar to something Iron Cow is working on (though he's concentrating on DS9) and I wouldn't want to step on any toes. Especially not Iron Cow's. His stuff was an inspiration and example for years!

And let's wait a little on a new dedicated thread, because I'm working on a new portfolio website, and it might be best to link to some examples of resized heads so people understand the process and what they would be getting for their investment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users