• Please log in to reply
410 replies to this topic

#21 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:51 PM

I don't know how we can say The Orville is trying to be something its not when we haven't seen it! 

Again... I think people are overlaying their wishes and desires... 

Also if Mcfarlane has anything going for him.. its getting his shows canceled by fox.. then resurrected (multiple times!)

But then the same could be said of peoples opinion of star trek: discovery. The thing is, we've yet to see either and while our opinions could be way off, I think we've seen enough of both to understand the direction these two shows are going.

The Oville won't have the same luxury the star trek shows that have had three seasons to get "good".

Discovery will have that luxury because it's star trek - it's a billion dollar brand name that makes CBS a lot of money, discovery has already mAde its money back so clearly this show will go on. If it fails to grab an audience or the reaction to it is bad to mediocre, CBS will work with what resonated and jettison the stuff that hasn't worked.

#22 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:33 PM

I dont think Discovery will have that luxury either.

It needs to start strong.

#23 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:08 PM

I dont think Discovery will have that luxury either.

It needs to start strong.

It definitely needs to start... boldly. That's probably why it's been delayed twice, so that they can get it right.

since CBS has this series already paid for, I think they expect this series to have its problems and for there to be potential changes in a season 2.

The one thing Star Trek has that Orville doesn't is a 50 year legacy - whether Discovery works or fails, Star Trek goes on, Orville doesn't.

#24 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 07:25 PM

But then the same could be said of peoples opinion of star trek: discovery.

Yep. Can't argue with that. And yes we do know a bit about both shows... And as fans we probably are more invested ... Or want to be more invested in discovery... Still we only got a few weeks to see if our assumptions are true.

#25 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:57 PM

Well Orville LOOKS good,so far. I hope they give it a chance. Oh,and it's MacFarlane,not McFarlane....that's Tood and his McFarlane toys,lol. Yep,still a stickler for getting names right,it's my OCD,LOL!

#26 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 02:53 AM

Well I hope that some day Seth MACFarlane gets an EP credit on Star Trek.

If they're going down the Anthology route with Discovery then he'd be an ideal choice for an EP on a TNG centric mini series.

Do you guys think The Orville is a negative thing for Star Trek on the whole or do you think it's a positive thing? What I mean is do you think that The orville shows Star Trek up like Galaxy Quest did, as being out of touch with what fans/audiences want/expect to see from a Star Trek production.

#27 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 03:39 AM

I think any new sci-fi show on prime time tv is a positive thing. I never cared for all the supernatural shows.

#28 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:02 AM

The only way I see Orville being bad for Trek is if it actively satires what fans complain about most.

For example, I have no problem imagining the Orville encountering hostile aliens that use lens flares to blind their foes. A wink to Trekkies is one thing but if the next episode is about a planet where natives are suddenly coerced to pay for something they're used to getting for free then it's gonna be an issue.

#29 Morgan

Morgan

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:15 PM

I'm skeptical of this thing, but not because I'm some sort of humorless trekker but because I'm concerned that parodies like this have very steam to run on after the first episode or two. It's as if someone saw Galaxy Quest and said: Yeah, we can totally turn this into a several seasons worth of television. Does that sound doable? Galaxy Quest seemed to have largely exhausted the number of jokes about tropes that can be made about an old starship-set TV series, and it wasn't even set in the universe of that series, but outside it.

This is the problem that Titan Maximum (I always forget the name of that series) experienced very early on and why it started to drag. It's the kind of thing that people will enjoy a couple of episodes of, but being a parody it can't rely on suspension of disbelief to get viewers to buy into each episode's plot. What does that leave exactly as the fuel of the show?

#30 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 06:26 AM

The problem I have with parodies of Star Trek is that they are often seen as better versions of Star Trek. Galaxy Quest while a parody is often seen as a better take on Trek than much of what has come out since then and the same could be said of The Orville.

My issue isn't really levelled at the guys creating the parody but at the lack of confidence CBS/Paramount have shown in Star Trek - I don't think anyone really knows what Star Trek is anymore.

Everyone has competing views and opinions about what Trek is and what it should be. It has a crisis of confidence and a crisis of identity too. It's fan base as well. The studio have tried to bastardise it into something more resembling Star Wars on the big screen, more accessible, less content and more wiz bang wallop!

Fundamentally, Star Trek is... what?

If parodies like The Orville have a better grasp on what Star Trek is, then actual real Star Trek suffers and is seen to be a dead or irrelevant brand.

Parodies work when the thing they parody is confident about its own identity, it's firing on all cylinders... I don't think Star Trek is firing on all cylinders and I don't think there's much confidence in the Star Trek brand from the studios - I don't think they know what or how to do Star Trek.

The Orville isn't a parody; it's another attempt at doing Star Trek - at doing Star Trek better than the attempt Paramount made and potentially better than the attempt CBS are making with Discovery.

#31 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 06:52 AM

I really don't expect it to be a parody for the most part. I think it will simply be a comedy set in sci-fi stories. The every episode is a new adventure aspect lends itself to keeping things fresh much like Rick & Morty.

#32 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 03:47 PM

Maybe I'll be proved wrong... but I think the ovle will be a parody in the same manner the the Big Bang theory is a parody of friends or in the way that might be a parody of something like threes company

#33 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:04 PM

http://variety.com/2...ers-1202548259/

I love a decent orchestra.

#34 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 04:23 PM

http://variety.com/2...ers-1202548259/

I love a decent orchestra.

For TV, a 50 piece group is considered big but 75 is enormous! Very envious!

#35 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:30 AM

Nice. Looking forward to watching this on Sunday... if Irma lets me!

#36 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:25 AM

Nice. Looking forward to watching this on Sunday... if Irma lets me!

Haha, same for me. Hopefully I won't lose power till after it's over.

#37 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:18 AM

Hope Irma isn't too bad for you guys.

#38 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 02:41 PM

Florida looks like its gonna take the brunt. Stay Safe s8film40

#39 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 07:05 PM

Overall it was better than I expected, but there were definitely jokes that were very forced to me, and took me out of it. 

A couple of them that come to mind:

Spoiler

I'll certainly be watching more of it to give it a chance. I don't know if I'd call it Star Trek at this point. 

#40 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 07:11 PM

I only got about the first 20 minutes then had to deal with a window leaking water. I really liked what I saw. I can see how the jokes could be taken as forced. I heard a friend comment that it was like watching Star Trek with regular people, I could definitely see that and I thought that was an element of it I really liked.

It kind of reminds me of Get Smart in some ways. Has some pretty good stories and the comedy comes from the lead character being a bit of a screw up, while still being someone that comes off as a genuinely good person.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users