#1 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Interests:Avoiding landing parties, surviving till the titles roll

Posted 05 October 2014 - 05:59 AM

Next up, a special review.

Brought out on the 7th October 1997, Paramont released a special video set, titled "Worf - Return To Grace", featuring Sins Of The Father, Reunion, and Redeption parts 1 and 2, Worf's TNG discommendation ark, in glorious VHS definition. A picture, courtesy of Memory Alpha ( http://en.memory-alp...ace_Collection_(VHS) )

Return_to_Grace_video_collection.jpg

Eagle eyed viewers may notice "FREE COLLECTIBLE! EXCLUSIVE WORF ACTION FIGURE FROM Playmates" on the box stuck horizontally. Of course, the big buying reason for us folk is this Worf figure (not available with the Laserdisk version I might add), and, if you hadn't guessed, is the subject of this review! Nowadays, I've never seen this, anywhere. eBay UK, Amazon, second hand stores, Video arcades, nothing, so I went to eBay US, and bit the bullet, paying a reasonable £12 for him, loose.

I suspect I may have the only copy in existence that has been opened, so I thought "why don't I review him?", and let you revel in my never ending sadistic rampage of opening rare expensive merchandise, or in this case, pre opened limited edition expensive merchandise.

As mentioned, I bought him loose, but, thanks to the mighty search engine, here's what he would've looked like before being deboxed:

WorfVideo-Front.jpg

(Credit to FigureRealm.com: http://www.figurerea...re=worfvideoset )

15445740282_2593693f38_z.jpg

A front view. As you may have surmised, he's a repaint of AGT Worf, and a very good one at that! The blue on his legs reminds me of the colouring of some of the 1990's TNG DC Comics, like the Star Lost, hence my nickname for him, Comic Worf. The armour is very nicely done, particularly the arms, the body's a bit plane, but that's "inherited parts syndrome" for you. I don't think it's a problem, it gives him more of a "uniqueness" in my opinion.

15259415180_ccc2dcb45b_z.jpg

A close up of his head. A very good likeness in my opinion, and the detail on the hair, goatee, and the fur is impressive.

15259356869_1ee8ac2ca5_z.jpg

A back view. The blue's very much more prominent, giving of more of the comic vibe in my opinion. The spine on the armour is, as always, very nicely done, as are the bands on the arms and the sash. No paint smears or cheapness anywhere, high quality that I didn't expect on a "giveaway" figure.

15259526018_118bb38aa3_z.jpg

A comparison between VHS and AGT Worf's. The shoe horn isn't painted on either, while the VHS one has a much more monochromatic look for the armour with the lack of gold, that I think helps the figure. I also thought the hair on the VHS was too grey, till I looked at this comparison!

15446135405_d112d81358_z.jpg

And after raiding the spares, I got a Klingon base for him along with movie Worf's Bat'leth. Just like AGT Worf, he can hold, very well I might add, a Bat'leth and a standard disruptor pistol.

Would I recommend him?

Certainly! I only bought him to complete one more gap in my collection, but when I got him, my opinion changed radically. Just like DS9 Tom Riker, or the Generations crew, there is a certain "coolness" of having something that never appeared. I also love the TNG comics from the 1990's, another reason I love this guy. Plus, he can hold accessories!

Price?

The one downside. He seems to be really, really rare in the UK, from my experience at least, meaning anyone wanting one needs to fork out money, or fork out time for waiting for one. 

Playability?

On his own, not much. No accessories, or base included, though I'm sure any Playmates fan has a neon orange Bat'leth lying around. Give him a weapon, and an opponent, and you have hours of Romulan/Borg/Jem'Hadar blood, pain, sacrifice, anguish, and death .

I hope you enjoyed this as much as I have, 

Redshirt

#2 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Music, acting, theatre, film, arts in General

Check out my band: www.facebook.com/eastportslackers

Posted 05 October 2014 - 06:43 AM

Nice review. Never got hold of that figure. Well perhaps one day...

#3 Loggy

Loggy

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:24 AM

I remember being on the cusp of purchasing the VHS set back in the 90s, but decided not to because I already had the episodes. This was despite my appeal to the figure, which I guess at the time I might've said a quick 'meh' to because he was a bit, as you said, monochromatic and, to me, seemed too similar to other Worf releases. One of my many mistakes from the 90s, I will admit, even just for the playability this figure is pretty cool.

#4 WORF22

WORF22

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:26 AM

WOW. I still have mine. that's an old one..

#5 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Interests:Avoiding landing parties, surviving till the titles roll

Posted 09 October 2014 - 11:31 AM

Thanks all!

Daysleeper

Thanks!

Loggy

It's strange, I always bought the videos, even the special edition versions (like the special TNG All Good Things release, the DS9 Emissary video and a Borg set) yet I never saw this anywhere in the UK. It's even more strange that I never bought any Playmates figures during that era, as I bought a lot of merchandise back then (even a saucer separating bubble bath D). And thanks about the playability, I'm more than sure Worf would agree!

WORF22

Damn, I feel old, 1997 doesn't seem that long back to me!

Continuing my Playmates craze, I bought a complete set of the wave one cadets  (Riker, Picard, Geordi, and Worf). If/when they arrive, I'll upload another XL review. In the mean time, does anybody want to see any specific figure reviewed? I'm always open to options.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users