1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 07:11 PM

http://www.artasylum...-310-star-trek/

Some decent questions this time round.

Some thoughts though;

I still wish they'd put a decent amount of articulation into their Star Trek Select line. Raising it to the standard of which we've come to expect of a select action figure. If Ghostbusters can get an articulated range of figures. I'm not sure why they're not doing the same with Trek (regardless of wanting to try something new with trek)

I feel like DST could manage at least two Star Trek Select figures per year

Is like to see the spin off shows get some select love; Captain Sisko? Janeway? Archer? 7of9, Quark, Odo... Some really popular characters have come from those shows.

Nice to know that it's a TNG select next year! 30th anniversary and all.

Really hoping the Defiant is the next ship after the Reliant.

Hoping to see a prototype Reliant at SDCC.

Interesting to hear that Trek may be getting some Vinimates! Maybe selling them with a minimate figure too!

Not surprised the retro line hasn't taken off...

Why hasn't someone at CBS given DST the go ahead to start making stuff from at the very least Star Trek 2009... It seems utterly ridiculous that CBS wouldn't want to continue on a well established line with the more recent Star Trek movies and going into the new TV series as well.

I'll be pissed if DST don't get a licence to do toys based on the new show. CBS seem to want fans on their side and to continue that trend, giving DST the licence would be great.

#2 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 11:39 PM

People say that the new movies isn't CBS,it's Paramount. Apparently,the movies and tv series,including the new series,are two different things. I too wish that DST would do some new movie stuff,but I guess no one wants it enough. lol.

J-R!

#3 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 03:44 AM

They dont have the licence for JJ movie stuff.

#4 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:47 AM

It's not that DST wouldn't want it. I'm sure they'd love the option to build upon their current Star Trek line with the more recent movies.

It just confuses me that they've not been even approached by CBS to have that option. Even if they wanted to go for a more mainstream toy maker, they still have an extensive toy line produced by DST that is popular with the fans.

#5 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 10:25 AM

If they want the license, couldn't they approach CBS for it? I don't get why they would have to wait for CBS to approach them. I can't imagine why CBS wouldn't want a company producing products from one of their biggest franchises. 

#6 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 04:52 PM

But then is it CBS they have to approach or is it CBS, Paramount and Bad Robot?

#7 Alex

Alex

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 02:28 AM

But then is it CBS they have to approach or is it CBS, Paramount and Bad Robot?

1701D, you're asking the right question. ;) I believe that either Zach or Chuck, (I can't remember which one of them it was though) once mentioned on here that they approached Paramount, (I want to say it was Paramount, but I could be wrong) about the rights to the JJ–verse merchandise around the time that Into Darkness was being produced, and at the time, Paramount's rationale for denying them the license was that they wanted it to go to a mainstream toy company that would be in every retailer imaginable, and that they (Paramount) "weren't interested in a collector's line at the time." (In other words, a Hasbro or Playmates Toys type of licensee was what they were after.) With Playmates and Hasbro having both managed to churn out disasters though, I would think and hope that Paramount would come to their senses and approach DST, if only for the fact that DST has a built–in base of Trek consumers who would gladly eat up JJ–verse ships and possibly tech and "Select" line merchandise, and that with a third film on the way, there has to be a collector's market for JJ–verse merchandise now. Besides, if Hasbro couldn't figure out how to do a "mainstream" line of Trek toys not aimed at collectors, it's probably smarter to look at a company like DST that has figured out how to do Trek.

It's good to hear that DST has approached CBS about the new show, even if it's a bit early for any decisions to be made as Chuck has mentioned. I would hope that CBS Inc. would offer the license to DST though, if only for the fact that they've currently offered DST the license for their other stuff, and this new show seems to be aimed at the same kind of audience that buys DST's Trek line to begin with, so it seems like a natural fit. It also seems like it should at the very least be a courtesy that DST is offered first crack at the license given their current deal with CBS Inc. for previous Prime Universe material. I would hope that DST gets the license, and with CBS Inc. being the sole entity that DST would be dealing with, would hope that it might be easier than getting the JJ–verse license.

As for the AskDST, I like what I'm seeing, I hope that we get more Trek Tek beyond the TNG Phaser from the 24th Century, such as a tricorder, and I'm also hoping that when the time comes, that Voyager and the Enterprise–C are in the running for DST's next ship. As much as I love the Defiant, I wouldn't mind if there were a small gap between releases of ships with names ending in "iant," to finish off the Prime Universe Enterprises or to give us something from VOY. (I really want an Intrepid–Class ship from DST, because even if it were priced comparably to the Enterprise–D, it'd still be far less expensive than what the Playmates version is gouged for.) Still I realize DST needs to focus on the Reliant and the BoP before looking at more ships though, so I'm not pushing too much just yet, and with the Reliant, I feel like we're making a bit of progress toward those other ships that I've mentioned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users