Photo

Quarter Scale cloth outfit figures

• Please log in to reply
202 replies to this topic

#1 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 08:42 AM

The title says it all. Check it out here.

I know a lot of you will be happy with this line.

#2 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 08:54 AM

I'm not sure what to think. It sounds like it'll be costly. wink.gif Can't wait to see what they look like.. If nothing else, I'm sure I'll be suckered into DS9!

#3 Sgt. Stinky

Sgt. Stinky

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Indiana Jones, Friends and especially Family

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:50 AM

18 inch articulated clothed figures blink.gif !!! The divorce papers will give reason has blew life savings to feed his obsession. Seriously DST you are killing me. Resistance is futile. Someone please help me.

#4 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 12:33 PM

DST has pulled out all the stops for Star Trek it seems. I am very interested to see what the sculpts look like for these figures, and im very happy that Spock is going to be one of the very first two figures produced in the series. In case you havent noticed, i do collect a lot of Spock themed figures, but DST hasnt got me hooked yet to some of their stuff like those Away team statues with the awful sculpts or the Amok time statues. I havent purchased any of the new Minimates either, but i am getting very tempted to. My point is this, even die hard collectors wont buy just anything, its got to be a great looking sculpt and concept for the figure and it needs to be suitably priced or they become peg or shelf warmers. I am looking forward to seeing what this DST 18" line looks like before i say too much more about them.

#5 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE(VulcanFanatic @ Feb 15 2008, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In case you havent noticed, i do collect a lot of Spock themed figures,

Wait a minute. You like Spock? I had never noticed this before. Now it all makes sense. wink.gif . I thought for sure you were one of the ones that wanted as many Kirks as they could make. No wait that is me. Just Kidding VF.

If these look good I may even get a few. They will have to look better than what I have seen of the Stargate figures though.

#6 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 01:48 PM

Interesting.

That's not a scale I've generally been inclined to collect. I'll have to see more details.

#7 Thomas E. Johnson

Thomas E. Johnson

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 01:52 PM

Oh YES!!!!!!!!! spock2.gif

#8 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 06:48 PM

I just saw a review for DST's 12" 24 figure of Jack.

If that is any sign of clothed figures to come....this could be scary.

#9 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 07:48 PM

QUOTE(Artistix @ Feb 15 2008, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just saw a review for DST's 12" 24 figure of Jack.

I that is any sign of clothed figures to come....this could be scary.

I saw the figure in a store yesterday. The clothing is atrocious.

1/4 scale can be a great format. Sideshow's Premium Format line has produced some brilliant work. My Ben Kenobi is one of the centerpieces of my collection.

However, that's from Sideshow. Their 12" clothing is light-years ahead of what DST just put out. If the same disparity shows up in their 18" figures, this'll be an easy pass for me, regardless of the price point.

The Jack Bauer headsculpt isn't half-bad. I may pick up the figure if I get a good deal on it. I can get good clothes from some other line. Obviously, that won't be an option with a Trek line.

#10 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 06:06 AM

And there's the Kicker.... I think the only 1/4 scale figure that SSC did was 7 of 9... I was sorely tempted to buy it, but it was something like $300! and while nice I thought the quality didn't justify the high price point.

Still, there will be people that might have that figure who want to display the DST figures with the 7 of 9, and I fear that the difference will be to stark to really do that!

Usually going to the larger scale allows for more detail... but what extra detail are we missing that couldn't be captured in the 1/6 scale?

I read MWC's review on the 24 Jack B figure... It came off as a mediocre attempt where it's real saving grace was it's price point (around $24) Other wise, it used the SSC body, and had some pretty serious paint app issues.

#11 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 07:23 AM

QUOTE(Gothneo @ Feb 16 2008, 07:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the only 1/4 scale figure that SSC did was 7 of 9...

Actually, SSC did a 1/4 scale Spock and Kirk. Naturally, i have the Spock, heres a pic Spock 1/4 scale figure I like it, but it has limited articulation, but the clothing and sculpt are pretty nice. Its more of a statue though. It lists for $200 on the SSC website, but i got it for $150 if i recall clearly.

I would not be that thrilled about seeing prices like that for the DST 18" figures, and hopefully they wont be. How much are their 12" lines of Stargate and 24 figures going for? I would think the 18" figures would be 50% more than the 12" figures, but that could be faulty logic.

#12 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 09:56 PM

QUOTE(VulcanFanatic @ Feb 16 2008, 08:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How much are their 12" lines of Stargate and 24 figures going for? I would think the 18" figures would be 50% more than the 12" figures, but that could be faulty logic.

12" Jack Bauer was around $25.

QUOTE(VulcanFanatic @ Feb 16 2008, 08:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would think the 18" figures would be 50% more than the 12" figures, but that could be faulty logic.

Unfortunately, I'm sure it is.

EDIT: I just saw that DST is going to offer 12" Stargate SG-1 figures.

http://tf08.figures....ery.php?cat=600

The likenesses are not good at all, and they're $40.

#13 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 08 April 2008 - 02:36 PM

We've got a photo of 1/4" scale Kirk at TNI.

I am not sure what to think. Definitely not Sideshow quality ...

#14 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:03 PM

That is kind of... well... Kind of bad. I dont like it at all. I think the cloth outfit Trek figures from playmates were better and I wasnt super impressed with those. The good news is I will be saving some money by not buying these. DST needs to either step up thier game or go back to nothing but minimates and 7" figures.

#15 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:03 PM

Kirk has one of the hardest likenesses to capture but from that angle that has to be one of the worst. I think the AA sculpt is just downright awesome. They should really take that one and just scale it up (i know never gonna happen). Im not into the 1/4 sclae so Im not sure if the clothing is adequate for the figure. Man that head is bad and whats with those pants!

#16 skeletor

skeletor

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:10 PM

I was so excited for this new 18" line and i figured they would do some great face sculptures ya know...but after seeing this, I'm not all that impressed.

Maybe NECA should take this line over
I think they would probably do a better job. I think they do amazing faces on their figures.

But that's just my opinion , don't mean to upset anyone smile.gif

#17 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:23 PM

Okay, here are my thoughts after pondering for a bit. My expectations were based on Sideshow quality figures. Maybe that's not what DST is going for here though. Maybe they want something a little less upscale and a little more playful. That would be suggestive in the price scale comparison ... Sideshow = $250, DST $50-75 (I am guessing. I don't remember the actual amount). So, I won't compare the two again.

On the other hand, this does look fairly bad. I don't see Kirk at all in this sculpt. I will have to see more pictures before making a decision on these for sure!

#18 A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:28 PM

QUOTE(slayerone76 @ Apr 8 2008, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okay, here are my thoughts after pondering for a bit. My expectations were based on Sideshow quality figures. Maybe that's not what DST is going for here though. Maybe they want something a little less upscale and a little more playful. That would be suggestive in the price scale comparison ... Sideshow = $250, DST $50-75 (I am guessing. I don't remember the actual amount). So, I won't compare the two again.

On the other hand, this does look fairly bad. I don't see Kirk at all in this sculpt. I will have to see more pictures before making a decision on these for sure!

All I can say is... yuck! If that's representative of the line, then they can keep them, as far as I'm concerned. I'll stick with the 7" line....

#19 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:53 PM

QUOTE(thehsbr @ Apr 8 2008, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kirk has one of the hardest likenesses to capture but from that angle that has to be one of the worst.

Except the DST landing party statues, which was worse i believe. I would like to see some more angles and poses before i render judgement on this line. I thought Spock was going to be the first figure, maybe thats changed. I really want to know what the quality of the figure body, the quality of the clothing and and the limits of flexibility are too. I am interested in this line, but the Kirk likeness is pretty disappointing.

#20 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:13 PM

While I get to say "I told you so", I'm just as disappointed by this as the rest of you. Especially with their other 1/4th scale license, I was really hoping to be wrong about DST on this one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users