• Please log in to reply
1324 replies to this topic

#1181 malloc64

malloc64

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:37 AM

A couple of test shots checking light blocking on the upper saucer. Looking decent so far.

Only bridge windows lit:

All lights on:

#1182 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:49 AM

Great stuff! smile.gif

#1183 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:41 AM

Quick update, got my light-blue pen, just now had a (very rough) practise on the old E. Click to see bigger:

My impressions so far are that the pen is brilliant (seriously, much better than the black staedtler I'm using, even though that pen is a finer tip), and the ink/paint dries very quickly. However, it's not as light as I'd hoped, and I'm not sure whether to proceed with it, or try a something different. I think the secondary hull looks great, but the top of the saucer makes it look a little bit off. The windows being all black looks great, but I'd love to have that little bit of variation, so I'll hold off for now (until I've got a white one, or an even light blue, which I'd prefer).

As a random aside, since I had my camera out, I thought I'd take a quick snap of the damage from the batteries having a good old leak:

How's that for weathering? tongue.gif

#1184 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:14 AM

Wow! Those batteries need potty training.

Yes, unfortunate that the shade is so dark. Maybe some of those specifically designated "paint markers" in pastel shades would do the trick?

I got a very nice phonecall from FPI today. I paid for the shipping of my and my nephew's Enterprise-E's yesterday, and since I won't be at home when they're delivered, I changed the address on my one last-minute to his house.
FPI were confused by this, so they rang to confirm, and also mentioned that they had "another light-up Enterprise" in stock to ship out to me, and that if they are all going to the same address, they can be shipped together for the price of one package!

So I'm getting my E and my B within the week, and I'm saving

#1185 malloc64

malloc64

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:02 PM

When you wipe the excess ink, make sure you wipe perpendicular to the direction of the windows in order to minimize streaking.

I agree that the blue pen is more teal/cyan than I expected from your description also. However, my suggestion is to see if you can go over a blue inked window with black ink. If that works out then I say go all out on the blue inking and decide if you like it. If you don't then you can just fix it with black afterwards.

p.s. That blue color looks pretty much perfect for the arboretum windows on the 1701 refit/A.

#1186 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

Cheers for the advice man, though I've been doing that on my main one (did this very quickly, and had my camera at hand). smile.gif

In the meantime, I've already ordered a fine-tip white marker, but also a set of those 'LePen' pens, which has black, but also, an even lighter blue, so fingers crossed it may yet work out. I'm planning to put the darker stripes on the impulse engines as well now, because they look gorgeous with that little extra detail.

Ship doesn't need all this of course, but I'm having a lot of fun doing it (very relaxing), and the early results really do leave me with a huge smile on my face. Takes me back to my younger/playmates days. smile.gif

#1187 malloc64

malloc64

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:58 PM

QUOTE (Jay K @ Apr 10 2013, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ship doesn't need all this of course, but I'm having a lot of fun doing it (very relaxing), and the early results really do leave me with a huge smile on my face. Takes me back to my younger/playmates days. smile.gif

Seriously, it's quite relaxing isn't it? You'd think it might be annoying inking all these little windows with care and precision, but the focus required is calming and almost meditative.

#1188 ShipNerd

ShipNerd

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:23 PM

QUOTE (Jay K @ Apr 10 2013, 04:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quick update, got my light-blue pen, just now had a (very rough) practise on the old E. Click to see bigger:

My impressions so far are that the pen is brilliant (seriously, much better than the black staedtler I'm using, even though that pen is a finer tip), and the ink/paint dries very quickly. However, it's not as light as I'd hoped, and I'm not sure whether to proceed with it, or try a something different. I think the secondary hull looks great, but the top of the saucer makes it look a little bit off. The windows being all black looks great, but I'd love to have that little bit of variation, so I'll hold off for now (until I've got a white one, or an even light blue, which I'd prefer).

As a random aside, since I had my camera out, I thought I'd take a quick snap of the damage from the batteries having a good old leak:

How's that for weathering? tongue.gif

This is exactly why I NEVER ...EVER...leave a toy with a "Try Me" feature inside the box.

These are CHEAP CHINESE Batteries, and irregardless who makes the product you buy..any toy with a "TRY ME" function is vulnerable to batteries going bad.

It is also a DARN GOOD move to dispose of the batteries you received via shipment or on the Shelf at Walmart with new ones.

This really applies to the AAA and AA Type.

This type of damage doesn't just stain hulls, it can FRAK with you wiring inside the toy as well.

I realize I am probably in the minority of the Collector market that does always extract the batteries, hence opening the packaging.

Each to his own. I lost an X-Wing to this years ago. I have leaned since then.

ShipNerd.

(In this case it is absurd for a battery to go bad this quickly, with imagery I am pretty certain you have a good case to get a refund from your vendor )

#1189 malloc64

malloc64

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:38 PM

QUOTE (ShipNerd @ Apr 10 2013, 11:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(In this case it is absurd for a battery to go bad this quickly, with imagery I am pretty certain you have a good case to get a refund from your vendor )

I agree about removing the no-name batteries but I think he'd have a hard time getting a refund after inking the windows bright blue.

#1190 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

Just to be a bit more clear about it, this is my old E, from 2003 (forgive me if the year's wrong, the first release), which had spent some time in the shed, and in a friend's flat (thus why its two-year mission to seek out the nicotine nebula is VERY evident lol). Seriously, this is a lesson learnt though for me. Notice the screw is completely ruined - it just disintegrated when I tried to open it. :/

All good though. I wasn't ever a big fan of the E, but the new sculpt has made me see the ship in a new, lovely way. smile.gif

#1191 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:45 PM

There's an image of the First Contact version of this ship along with some info about it and Select Picard over at startrek.com

#1192 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

A bit tiny, but that's a really nice interpretation of the FC paint scheme. I still say they could have used the same patterns as the Nemesis version, with different colouring, but this is really nice.

#1193 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:53 PM

I really prefer this version since it has a lot of detailing but it's more subtle than the Nemesis pattern.

#1194 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:52 PM

It's the pattern that was used in the box-test photos last year, so it lacks upper-saucer-dome aztec... but dang, it sure is purdy.

#1195 ShipNerd

ShipNerd

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:25 PM

QUOTE (malloc64 @ Apr 11 2013, 12:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree about removing the no-name batteries but I think he'd have a hard time getting a refund after inking the windows bright blue.

lol Malloc, you are right of course..... doh.

Having read the story of the ship Jay, if you have the new 2013 E. This ship with the battery damage makes an excellent art test vessel.

Did the electronics survive that battery meltdown? This looked pretty nasty but some people are absolutely brilliant on this board with electronics..

I thought of using my 2005/6 E for working filling filling in some windows black, but have now just decided to go ahead with a second 2013 E to detail.

Unfortunately I will not have my work desk for a week..but I have the tool to give it a try now. (.20 Gundam Black)

ShipNerd

#1196 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:32 PM

Hey man, yeah that's the weirdest part, it works fine! The only thing stopping me getting inside to fix it, is that the screw has basically melted (thus why I asked about what glue to use a few weeks ago - thinking about breaking the cover off and sticking it back together afterwards).

But yes, this is my test-ship for all things paint related, now. smile.gif

#1197 Kyp Durron

Kyp Durron

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • Interests:ST props, models, and Lightsabers OH MY!

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:12 AM

http://www.bigbadtoy...mp;utm_content=

Got mine in. smile.gif

-Kyp

#1198 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:59 AM

QUOTE (Kyp Durron @ Apr 12 2013, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Got my 2 in.

#1199 ShipNerd

ShipNerd

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:12 PM

I got the BBTS advetisement as well.

While it is obvious she sports a different azteca look- wise on the saucer, I have my doubts on Marketing this Vessel as a ST: First Contact Ent E when it keeps the Nemesis Mold.

I wish there would be some closer images. A dead give away for the Nemesis Mold is the Aft Torpedo Launcher (a small rectangular block atop the rear of deck 4).

I actually think they began the E sequence with this mold, and stuck with it, since the missing Escape Pods on the Aft Saucer section in 2005/6 were painted in place...not a raised surface in the 2013 version.

Basically. I'd like to see a better picture. Then I would make a decision.

ShipNerd

#1200 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:56 PM

STK431641.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users