Defiant Toys (not model kits)

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

Hey guys, could you list all-known Defiant toys you know of, except the following:

Playmates
Furuta
F-Toys
Micro Machines
Hallmark Christmas thingy

I'm always looking for any little models of the Defiant, and I have all of the above except the playmates, and the Hallmark. Are there any more that I'm missing (and that are available to buy)?

The reason I made this thread was because I came across this:

Those two are both 'cancelled' Hot Wheels models, and the thing that bothers me especially about that, is that the Defiant sculpt seems to be that of the studio (original) version, and not the CG version of later seasons. Man, I would've loved to get a hold of that, and of the other cancelled one from Corgi (along with Voyager and the Warbird): http://www.flickr.co...opol/471460136/

But yeah, if you guys know of any others, I'd love to know. Also, I apologise if this thread's in the wrong forum. I know I joined years ago, but I'm only just now exploring the other forums here. smile.gif

#2 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:10 PM

There's also a small Defiant (amongst many other ships) in the board game "Star Trek Fleet Captains".

It's unpainted, and the sculpt is not very accurate, though. I'll try and get a picture of mine soon.

#3 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

Here's something I used to have as a kid. It's a small USS Defiant kids meal toy from Dairy Queen from 1997.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item51a81c4343

#4 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:34 PM

theres also a micro machines defiant that a tad larger. It opens up into a playset for the micro figures.

#5 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:40 AM

I'd love to see a Kreo defiant.

#6 Wildcard

Wildcard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:07 AM

There were two HeroClix versions (regular and cloaked)

And then I found THIS that I think was part of a grab pack of various metal ships from Star Trek. I don\'t remember the company\'s name that made them and I only saw them in the gaming sections of stores near Dungeons and Dragons type games. unsure.gif

And while it wasn\'t a model or toy, there was also the Franklin Mint\'s Pewter Defiant. I was trying to remember if Rawciffe ever did one, but I don\'t think they did. I know they did produce a really cool runabout, but I think they stopped producing Trek before the Defiant was introduced in season 3.

#7 Will Decker

Will Decker

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

QUOTE (Jay K @ Feb 23 2013, 10:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey guys, could you list all-known Defiant toys you know of, except the following:

Playmates
Furuta
F-Toys
Micro Machines
Hallmark Christmas thingy

I'm always looking for any little models of the Defiant, and I have all of the above except the playmates, and the Hallmark. Are there any more that I'm missing (and that are available to buy)?

The reason I made this thread was because I came across this:

Those two are both 'cancelled' Hot Wheels models, and the thing that bothers me especially about that, is that the Defiant sculpt seems to be that of the studio (original) version, and not the CG version of later seasons. Man, I would've loved to get a hold of that, and of the other cancelled one from Corgi (along with Voyager and the Warbird): http://www.flickr.co...opol/471460136/

But yeah, if you guys know of any others, I'd love to know. Also, I apologise if this thread's in the wrong forum. I know I joined years ago, but I'm only just now exploring the other forums here. smile.gif

These cancelled hot wheels models may yet see the light of day. That line is returning in the spring.

#8 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:51 AM

I certainly hope so! I'd love to see these!

#9 Darth Duranium

Darth Duranium

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

I know the owner of those unproduced Hot Wheels minis, they're 3D-printed soft resin models, apparently, that he got from eBay. Agreed, the Corgi would've been amazing but they lost the license just before release.
Unfortunately, most Defiants are on the expensive side these days, due to rarity. You might wanna hold out for the Eaglemoss ships.
Here's what I think is a complete list of Defiant toys/replicas, hope it helps:

-Franklin Mint
-Hallmark (ornament and mini)
-Micro Machines
-Dairy Queen
-Eaglemoss Star Trek Starship(s) Collection (announced, not released yet)
-Playmates (big electronic, Innerspace)
-Furuta
-F-Toys (reg and cloaked)
-HeroClix (Fleet Captains and Tactics) (unpainted, painted, and cloaked)
-Scene-It game (unpainted gaming token)
-Willabee & Ward (snow globe)

BTW, Hallmark and Johnny Lightning also made Constitution-class USS Defiants.
More info and pics of all of them are here at MA: http://en.memory-alp...Trek_miniatures

#10 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE (Will Decker @ Feb 24 2013, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
These cancelled hot wheels models may yet see the light of day. That line is returning in the spring.

That would put a smile on my face the size of the moon, if true. smile.gif

#11 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:12 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Hot Wheels Defiant would be roughly in scale to the Enterprise-D and E-E?

#12 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

Okay wait...those were Cancelled Hot Wheels? Why haven't I seen those before We are talking about the ones that are being produced now? or from a while ago. Where were they shown and whas the info on those!

#13 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:01 AM

Mike - Yeah man, apparently they're from the early 2000's (http://en.memory-alp..._prototypes.jpg). I really hope they go back to those two (Defiant and Voyager).

Kor'Tar - If you mean the AA/DST versions, I think you're right. As of right now, the Furuta one is close enough (although it's based off of the CG-model, and not the filming model).

This image shows the '120m' Defiant in-scale with the First Contact Enterprise-E, and is also lined up with back of the refit saucer, and the Bird of Prey (I hope DST make a Defiant in-scale with the BoP!):

And here's my abysmal attempts to use the camera from the Nexus 7 (showing the furuta Defiant next to the E):

That looks close-enough to scale for me, and I've got them next to each other on my shelf (along with an Equinox, gorgeous trio).

Random question guys - would the Hallmark Defiant make a nice display model? Found one with broken lights (which doesn't bother me), and am tempted to go for it...

#14 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:01 AM

Ah, that's cool!

Jay, are you differentiating the studio-versus-CGI model by the angle of the back of the warp nacelles?

Gives it a totally different character, I agree.

Which length are you going with? I've been convinced by some very coherent arguments that the 170m length makes the most sense.

EDIT:
*re-examines diagram*

That diagram depicts it at 120m, compared to the rest of the ships (and the grid in the background). I feel that's too small for it to acommodate all of the depicted interior.

#15 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

Regards studio model vs CG, yeah man, it's the angle of the nacelles, but also the 'thickness' of the nose. I've just ordered that hallmark version by the way, as it's gorgeous (and the hole on the bottom doesn't bother me). Compare the furuta above, with this:

I'll say it once more (promise!), but I really hope AA/DST make ^THIS version of the Defiant, and don't just use the Ertl/AMT kit as the basis for her. I'd still buy it, and I'd still love it, but those 'muscle-car' lines are just not there on that version. I see it in the same way that the designer of the BoP said he was inspired by American Football kit (big shoulders, grill on the face etc). Makes it more unique from the sleek and slender Enterprises. smile.gif

Now about the size, I've read the page here (http://www.ex-astris...nt-problems.htm), and although I'd love it to be 120m, it should definitely be 170m (as it just makes the most sense). I love the Defiant purely because she's meant to be a 'tough, little ship', and at 170, she's still small compared to the rest. In other words, good enough for me!

#16 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

Oh no... now you've got me really fantasising about a DST Defiant... Damnit!

#17 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

There is a gaping-big hole in the market for ships containing the letters, E, I, A, N, and T. If DST stick to there '2 at a time' routine (or at least that's how it seems to me, not including variants and re-issues), then I can't think of a better pair really. smile.gif

#18 ryanlb

ryanlb

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

Man, it kills me that the Corgi wave 2 ships were cancelled. I have the Enterprise TOS and D from that 'line' and they're quite nice. I would have loved a Romulan Warbird, Defiant and Enterprise E. Stupid Corgi ruined everything that year.

I'd also be all over a DST Defiant and Hot Wheels Defiant. That line is too good to leave cancelled. Again, ROMULAN WARBIRD PLEASE.

#19 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

QUOTE (ryanlb @ Feb 27 2013, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Again, ROMULAN WARBIRD PLEASE.

That sounds like something one Romulan Warbird says to another Romulan Warbird when the other Romulan Warbird has said something of questionable intellectual merit.

Anywho: I realised I had the play token Defiant from the Scene-It game, and I also have a modified Playmates Innerspace Defiant. It was my first, and for the longest time, only Defiant toy.

It seems to be loosely based on the Studio model, but is extremely distorted because...

It has a teensy playset for long-since-lost micro-figures.

My modifications were: Drawing the Bussard Collectors on, and decorating the inside roof and stuff with gold, black, and tip-ex.

#20 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

Man, that, and the Goddard shuttle were my favourite toys for a while - loved Innerspace. The Enterprise-D's shuttle was ALMOST in scale with the playmates D (if you squinted and closed one eye lol). biggrin.gif

Great pictures man - what's the one on the black stand, as that looks like a great (accurate) sculpt from that angle?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users