130 replies to this topic

#81 Totalus_Kat

Totalus_Kat

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 10:45 AM

I've been around for awhile just hiding behind your sofa wink.gif

There were some good laughs, I did laugh when Clarkson and May were in there tent and May was pulling out all the expensive food, I do have to say though the pair of them arent as young as the Hamster but they did great biggrin.gif I was very impressed with them and there trek to the pole, but also Hammond being the younger of the team did just as good as job, if not better. So kudos to the boys biggrin.gif

cheers,
Tk

#82 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7" Star trek action figures.

Star trek & writing fan fiction.

Posted 28 July 2007 - 02:38 AM

^^^It's a scary thought, but I think I could be the female counterpart to James!

I find myself completely empathising with him, and he does everything I would do. He makes a great foil for Jeremy, and I loved it when he countered Jeremy's manic attempts to erect his tent by calming saying "shouting won't put this tent up".

Did you think that there were times when Hamster had the same kind of wild-eyed, scared look on his face that you imagine hedgehogs have right before they roll into a ball in the path of a car?! tongue.gif

#83 Will Riker

Will Riker

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 02:25 PM

hey guys, i'm back!! lol

anyways, i was able to watch the TG special as i downloaded it yesterday, and i have to say, it was bloody hilarious. Jules touched on the highlights on the last page, so theres no point in recapping them here. i do have to wonder however, if on these type of challenges Hammon regrets being the youngest. After all, he always has to do the really physical stuff (not saying that Clarkson and May didn't exert any energy but i think you get my drift...)

BTW Jules, i bought and took with me 'Clarkson on Cars', which is a hilarious book, as you would expect. There is, however, one section in the book in which Clarkson has some rather choice words about Bath. I'm at this moment searching for it so i can reproduce it here biggrin.gif

#84 Will Riker

Will Riker

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 02:28 PM

aha, here it is...

'People in Bath have had their friendly genes taken out so that if you stop and ask for directions, they act like you've just trumped,and strut off. In a contest to find the rudest town on Earth, Bath would walk all over Paris'

Clarkson at his usual reserved best. Is that an acurate description, Jules?

#85 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7" Star trek action figures.

Star trek & writing fan fiction.

Posted 04 September 2007 - 02:44 AM

^^^LOL! Definitely!!! tongue.gif

There are two kinds of people you will find in Bath: the "Bathonian" that is Bath born and bred and somewhat parochial in nature. That is putting it rather politely, but the truth is that you would not seek out a Bathonian if you wanted help with working out a challenging mathmatical equation of a discussion about Plato. Bathonians tend to regard Bristol as another continent and drving past the toll gates on the Severn Bridge means falling off the edge of the Earth! The second category (and I have to include myself as one of these myself since I originally hail from South West London) are the "Bath Residents" ~ the people who moved here from what Bathonians would call Deep Space. From the Romans on up, the smartest people in Bath all come from somewhere else (apart from my husband and my daughter who were both born in Bath Royal United Hospital and are the offspring of Bath Residents!).

Clarkson is completely true in what he says. Politeness is baffling concept a Bathonian doesn't quite understand, while Bath Residents are either too rich, too famous, or too middle class to bother being polite to anybody who has a foreign accent or is a tourist ~ partly because we have so many cluttering up the pavements when we're trying to get to Waitrose before it shuts, and if you ask for directions in Bath, then that makes you a tourist. If you regard Bath residents as being like the Grumpy Old Men & Women then you get the picture.

That, and they probably watched TG and don't like Clarkson! laugh.gif

Yeah, and I spent a fortnight honeymooning in Paris. The Parisians are a LOT politer than Bath people. Being French, they probably envy us for our capacity for rudeness and maybe we should set up an Ecole d'Impolitesse for Parisians anxious to wrestle back d'honeur from Les Anglaise! It should prove to be a better source of revenue than the Bath Thermae Spa! tongue.gif

#86 ECH

ECH

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 02:50 PM

Ah, yes. The Top Gear Special was just unique. Who else but those guys would think of trying to drive to the North Pole? Brilliant. I have to admit I did find it a tad scary, especially when they went over places when the ice was thinner. I think being in a situation like that is probably my worst nightmare.

QUOTE(JulesLuvsShinzon @ Jul 28 2007, 09:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
^^^It's a scary thought, but I think I could be the female counterpart to James!

I find myself completely empathising with him, and he does everything I would do. He makes a great foil for Jeremy, and I loved it when he countered Jeremy's manic attempts to erect his tent by calming saying "shouting won't put this tent up".

I find myself thinking the same thing, Jules! He behaves the way I'd imagine I would if I were in his place. But I don't fear it, I embrace it! I am James May! Or at least I'm turning into him...I've got about 20 years or so before I reach his age but I can imagine that when I do I'll be very much like him. My Dad and brother think he's a bit of a twit but out of the trio he is the one that is most similar to me!

Does anyone know what's happening with the next series...I heard there wasn't going to be one.

#87 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7&quot; Star trek action figures.

Star trek &amp; writing fan fiction.

Posted 05 September 2007 - 05:12 AM

^^^Well, I'm not sure, but since my daughter saw the Stig this summer, resplendent in his white racing gear and a car with a camera mounted on it, at a petrol station ~ then you can assume that something petrol-heady is coming our way on TV!

Yeah.........I am James May's ideal mate....only I do tend to drive just a wee bit faster! roflmao.gif James May is cool..even when Jeremy was freaking out on the thin ice..he was.....cool!

#88 Will Riker

Will Riker

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 01:00 PM

Fear not, petrolheads! There WILL be a new series of TG. At least, according to Hammond in his column in the Mirror today. He says it should be on our screens at the end of the month.

BTW Jules, i think the city of Bath should be glad you are not their tourist officer lol

LOL, i find myself having to agree with both Jules and you, ECH. Out of the three, i find myself having more in common with May - although i find myself in agreement with most of Clarkson's worldly viewpoints. however, i don't think i could express those viewpoints quite so...forthrightly lol.

#89 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 02:12 AM

^^^You know it's funny, but my mother-in-law is one of the famous Mayor's Honoury Guides! I did think about setting up a rival "Jules' Satirical City Tours" where I show well-heeled tourists around the defunct gas holders, the travellers site on the Lower Bristol Road, the Saturday Afternoon "Revellers" (& their dogs) swearing at passersby under the arches near the Pump Room, and all of Twerton. I thought I would start it around 10pm on a Friday night outside the Rat and Parrot, just as a pink limo full of drunken chavs wearing devils' horns and forked tails tucked in their thongs fall out onto the pavement and vomit lavishly on the doorman's shoes! But then....maybe not!

You truly have to wonder at a city the minute size of Bath that is both a "World Heritage City" and featured in a book called Crap Towns! unsure.gif

Anyhoo, it is great news that TG will be back and we'll still have this thread running! For a moment back there I seriously thought that the BBC were trying to bury one of its most succesful shows! ohmy.gif

#90 Will Riker

Will Riker

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 02:25 PM

bbc canning a good show? never! (i still mourn the loss of 'they think its all over')

#91 ECH

ECH

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:40 AM

^^Ah, yes! They Think It's All Over was a great show.

Anyhow, James May was on Sky News today to talk about his new book on 20th Century inventions. He said there will be a new series, I think around October but I can't quite remember. rolleyes.gif

#92 Will Riker

Will Riker

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 01:53 AM

did anyone catch the 'new-look' Hamster yesterday, with his long hair, on Jonathon Ross? LOL

#93 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 03:43 AM

^^^Indeed yes! Does it not seem that the Hamster has highlights?? Do you think he's in competition with mullet-meister James for the most girly hair in TG? roflmao.gif I have to say that those pictures of past-Hamsters indeed prove that the little-one has flirted with many looks over the years, and is indeed one of those unfortunate followers of fashion ~ whereas one gets the distinct impression that Jeremy has been unfashionably curly and slighty balding from the day he was born! laugh.gif

I say, I think that Mrs Hamster is a lovely looking lady! I roared when Hamster said that he didn't recognise his wife in hospital but fancied her anyway! But I do think it must be very wierd to have been interviewed by Jonathan Ross before and not remember it. He must have still been pretty badly affected then ~ makes you think!

#94 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 10:52 AM

Yay!! Now is the time for all petrolheads to rejoice, for come Sunday..................

TOP GEAR IS BAAAACK!!!!

djparty.gif

#95 Will Riker

Will Riker

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 12:36 AM

QUOTE(JulesLuvsShinzon @ Oct 2 2007, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yay!! Now is the time for all petrolheads to rejoice, for come Sunday..................

TOP GEAR IS BAAAACK!!!!
djparty.gif

i saw the trailer yesterday, and i can't wait!

Clarkson: Do you want to get back on this boat?
May: No

No idea what that was about, but i can't wait to find out lol

#96 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 10:06 AM

^^^Judging by the article in the Radio Times then it's another ocean-going car thing! laugh.gif

#97 Totalus_Kat

Totalus_Kat

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 07:03 AM

*Does a Celebratory Dance...* Yey for the petrol heads, already set a reminder and series link on Sky biggrin.gif wont be missing it.

Cheers,
Tk

#98 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 03:31 AM

^^^We shall be there tonight in front of the TV with a Nigella "Express" meal, forks akimbo, awaiting mayhem! laugh.gif

#99 Totalus_Kat

Totalus_Kat

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 01:03 PM

Im more then positive its the boats they used last time, I spotted the Toyboata and James boat... but wasnt Hamsters green not blue?

cheers,
Tk

#100 DST Trek Collector

DST Trek Collector

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 02:14 PM

Well, let me be the first to comment on todays start to the new series.

I thought it was hilarious and great as ever, especially the bits with James' Aston Martin and the trip around Europe. I thought Helen Mirren was good as well.

I laughed so hard when Clarkson said 'if i had no air conditioning i would look quite stupid' (or something like that) and then it cut to a shot of James in his car without a shirt on pouring a bottle of water over himself!

Also the bits where James was saying how he hated his car and then told Clarkson and Hammond how he loved it!

Also the quips about the fire and Fifth Gear were very funny. Also Cuddles rofl!

Bring on next week's episdoe!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users