• Please log in to reply
1901 replies to this topic

#81 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 11:29 AM

The Enterprise underwater thing always bugs me. Not because it did it, but because people keep saying it isn't possible.

In the Voyager episode Thirty Days, Janeway said Voyager could be retrofitted to be able to go underwater. If for whatever reason Starfleet decided to have the Enterprise observe a planet from underwater, no doubt she was modified to do so before the mission began.

This dead horse has been beaten for years.  I'm on the side "it was stupid".  To anybody calling out VOY as an example, all I tend to think in response is that VOY was a much smaller ship than JJ-prise (unlike TOS-prise where it was about the same) *and* was designed from the get-go for landing on planets.  Then I remember that the JJ-prise can land on planets as well, or at least, launch from them.  But I disagree with that decision from the first film as well, so for me, the entire thing just falls apart and becomes unwillingness to maintain believability in favor of lazy dramatic effect.

#82 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 04:00 PM

wow. lots of comments! interesting news!

I look forward to any thing new and will try and reserve judgment... most trek series started out pretty rough and it took 3  or so years for each to really find its footing.... not that they were all bad episodes early on, just that they needed to to really adjust and tune them in. TNG, DS9 and VOY were all this way. 

I even thought ENT was finding its footing in season 4 when they brought Manny Coto in.

My biggest concern with Kurtzman is he's a conspiracy nut, and inevitably it shows in his writing. When your writing shows like Fringe or Alias... that works, but lets be honest. Transformers was enough of a disaster that he actual won a Razzie for worst screen play!

#83 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 06:17 PM

The thing about the Enterprise going under water, visually it was spectacular, visually I was so excited when I first saw it but beyond it looking cool where's the reason for it to be under water? Thats the problem with the new movies, they do things because they might look cool. Theres always been that style over substance in Star Trek movies. Granted it has gone to a completely new level of style due to the money now being spent on the Star Trek movies but this is why the movies are just filler for the TV series, they just maintain the franchise whilst there is no new series or that. 

CBS simply HAVE to base this Star Trek in the prime universe. 

Alex Kurtzman doesn't worry me much, Roberto Orci was more of the conspiracy nut and he has seemingly fallen off of the planet in regards to Star Trek. He wouldn't have been my first choice though. It would have been better in my opinion to go for someone like Ron Moore or Vince Gilligan or Seth McFarlane or Bryan Fuller, Manny Coto or someone of that ilk. It's all down to what writing team Kurtzman and Kadin assemble for this Trek though and they really do need a mix of both Trek alumni, new screen writers and also my hope is that they go after science fiction novelists to write story treatments. 

It's so so so so so so so so so so so sooooo essential they don't bugger this up, Kurtzman and Kadin aren't the strongest of producers out there in terms of must-watch TV but neither was Vince Gilligan before Breaking Bad and now he's very sort after. 

#84 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 05:32 PM

Prior to ENT, the execs were willing to give TV trek the leash it needed to develop. My fear is that they treat it like ENT and don't allow it to be fine tuned and adjusted. 

I guess, if that's just the new order of things, they need to find a way to adjust faster. 

#85 Morgan

Morgan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 756 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 09:10 PM

I can't believe I'm typing this, but at least with the on-demand format there perhaps won't be as much pressure to appease network execs and advertisers, as well as the Outrage Industrial Complex that could force self-censorship when it comes to story themes. In other words, the show's audience will be the existing fan base and that's it, rather than the octogenarian network-TV-watcher crowd flipping thru the channels and being offended at everything that isn't Reading Rainbow.

(Just who watches CBS in 2015 anyway? People in waiting rooms in oil change shops?)

TNG and DS9 had to hold a lot of stuff back when it came to themes of war, ethics, violence etc -- they were written in a different "ideas" environment than, say, the modern Battlestar Galactica that took on controversial issues head-on.

#86 Alex

Alex

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 03:16 AM

most trek series started out pretty rough and it took 3  or so years for each to really find its footing.... not that they were all bad episodes early on, just that they needed to to really adjust and tune them in. TNG, DS9 and VOY were all this way.

While I agree that this is true to an extent, and that TNG needed two seasons and DS9 needed three seasons to find its footing, I have to respectfully disagree about VOY. I would argue that VOY is the only Trek series that new what it was doing exactly from day one, and that's largely because it had one defined goal in mind: find a way back to Earth. While it's true that VOY made some tweaks, they weren't nearly as significant as the change in writing style with TNG S3 or the change in overall plot that technically started with the finale of DS9 S3, or the introduction of the Defiant in DS9 S4.

ENT was produced in a different time, after widespread Internet access was readily available, and anyone with a phone line (nevermind high–speed access that would have been available to a studio) could see the complaints leveled against ENT. In "the old days," Paramount would have to screen an episode, do a focus group, and get feedback from a test audience, and then hope that their sampling was good to determine what changes needed to be made. By the time ENT was airing, all they had to do was have someone go online and they could see the most common complaints ranging from the theme song to the Captain having the personality of a cardboard box, (which even Scott Backula has criticized,) and easily have addressed them. It's when ENT failed to do this that it willingly lost viewers, while the loss of UPN affiliates only added to the problem by causing the show to unwillingly lose viewers. The three–year–warm–up shouldn't be necessary for good Trek; if CBS can't producing something comparable to the higher–end fan–films that are floating around, (e.g. Renegades,) they should fire their production staff and higher the people who have been creating fan–films in the spirit of Trek to run their official show, and they should do so quickly. TNG–VOY were conceived of in a radically different era than ENT, and ENT was conceived of in a radically different era than the new show. (Internet access was already widespread, but the widespread proliferation of smartphones wouldn't come into existance until a couple years after ENT was cancelled. Likewise, early crowd–sourced funding attempts were made to keep ENT on the air, but that was in a pre–Kickstarter world.)

I even thought ENT was finding its footing in season 4 when they brought Manny Coto in.

Manny Coto definitely turned ENT around, but he was admittedly tasked with digging it out of a pretty deep hole. The problem wasn't anything Manny Coto did, it was that two of the three preceding seasons were atrocious, and while the show was hemmoraging viewers, UPN started to hemmorage affiliates and that really ensured that seasons three and four wouldn't be able to save ENT. I honestly wish we'd gotten Manny Coto instead of Alex Kurtzman for the new series on the grounds that Coto knew that if he could save ENT, his pitch for the next Trek was going to be a post–VOY/NEM 25th Century series that would have given the fans what they were (and still are) craving. I honestly wish CBS would bring him onboard for the new series given how well he handled ENT. The show's failure was not for a lack of Manny Coto's involvement by any means, and it seems like he was unnecessarily punished for Berman and Braga's mistakes.

My biggest concern with Kurtzman is he's a conspiracy nut, and inevitably it shows in his writing. When your writing shows like Fringe or Alias... that works, but lets be honest. Transformers was enough of a disaster that he actual won a Razzie for worst screen play!

Actually, Orci is the giant conspiracy nut, (and the one who was a Trek fan out of those two,) which has honestly made it hard for me to get a read on Kurtzman's style. Transformers had problems with its second film as a result of a WGA strike, (much like the WGA strike that made TNG season two a bit of a mess,) and Kurtzman and Orci both acknowledged that it was a rushed script that largely sucked in several interviews; they knew they had to get it out the door fast, and that it was going to be a disaster as a result. The one thing I give that abomination credit for though is that they managed to film on the actual Egyptian Pyramids as a result of one of their contacts in the Egyptian government being a huge Transformers fan who managed to work quite a bit of leverage to get a camera crew onto the Pyramids. Notice that the Egyptian government was portrayed in a very positive light in that film—access to the Pyramids was almost definitely the reason for that. As far as Kurtzman's razzie win, is it really any worse than William Shatner cleaning up at the Razzies in 1988 for Star Trek V: The Final Frontier? Granted, I'd still rather see Manny Coto in charge, but I have some hope for Kurtzman now that he's no longer working with Orci as much as he used too.

Also, it's worth pointing out that the reason Roberto Orci has been dropped from so many film projects is widely rumored to be a result of alcohol abuse. (The exception to this being Power Rangers, which he was effectively forced by Paramount to back out of in order to work on Star Trek Beyond, only to be shown the airlock shortly after doing so.) Given that even Kurtzman has wanted to move away from working with him, I'm not sure how I'd feel about having him involved in this new Trek series even if he wasn't a conspiracy nut.

The thing about the Enterprise going under water, visually it was spectacular, visually I was so excited when I first saw it but beyond it looking cool where's the reason for it to be under water? Thats the problem with the new movies, they do things because they might look cool. Theres always been that style over substance in Star Trek movies. Granted it has gone to a completely new level of style due to the money now being spent on the Star Trek movies but this is why the movies are just filler for the TV series, they just maintain the franchise whilst there is no new series or that.

This is really what I think gets under people's skin about that scene; it was a flashy VFX sequence for the sake of a flashy VFX sequence. Granted, that's not always a bad things, but in a movie that was almost entirely style over substance anyway, this just made things worse. Yes, movies have to emphasize style since the entire point of paying for a movie ticket is to get an experience that's not possible at home, but the older films at least matched it in substance. All of the earlier films attempted to match style with the same level of substance, although some did so better than others. With the JJ–verse, that attempt isn't even made; it's all–phasers all the time, and that doesn't work for Trek. The movies don't even have to be the way they are though; you can have style and substance, but not when Abrams is treating Trek like it's Star Wars. In fact, a lot of what I despise about the way Abrams handled Trek are things that have me very excited about The Force Awakens, because they're concepts that work in Star Wars but not in Star Trek.

CBS simply HAVE to base this Star Trek in the prime universe.

I completely agree with you, and while I can't believe I'm saying this, one advantage to CBS All–Access for North American audiences is that we can vote with our wallets if they don't do this. As much as I dislike the All–Access concept, at least I finally have some say as a Trek fan as to how this show is handled, which might be a good incentive for CBS to avoid botching this series.

One more bit of hope for the Prime Universe though is that CBS apparently isn't too fond of Abrams. Back when Trek XI was being developed, Abrams wanted to create a new show in his universe, produced by his production company, along with all sorts of other media tie–ins like comic books and webisodes and the like. The "catch" was that these would be produced by Bad Robot (Abrams production company,) and that Abrams wanted "Prime Universe" Trek merchandise pulled if this was going to happen. That last part was non–negotiable, and CBS refused to pull stuff featuring Shatner's Kirk in favor of stuff strictly featuring Pine's Kirk, so Abrams cancelled his plans and decided not to bother putting as much effort into Trek. Depending on what media company you ask, Abrams is either a "genuis" or a "hack," with CBS generally considering him to be the latter while Disney considers him to be the former. I could very well see CBS going with the Prime Universe for that reason alone, but then again, stranger things have happened before, so I just hope CBS is smart enough to avoid setting this in anything other than the Prime Universe. Not giving fans what they were after was a large part of ENT's downfall on top of its myriad of other problems, and this is a self–inflicted wound that I don't want to see repeated a second time.

Roberto Orci was more of the conspiracy nut and he has seemingly fallen off of the planet in regards to Star Trek. He wouldn't have been my first choice though. It would have been better in my opinion to go for someone like Ron Moore or Vince Gilligan or Seth McFarlane or Bryan Fuller, Manny Coto or someone of that ilk.

Orci's sort of fallen off the planet in general, see my comment above for the reason why. Likewise, I fimrly believe that this series should be set in the 25th century, and I fully support the idea of Manny Coto being involved to make that happen. Seth McFarlane is another name I wouldn't mind having attached to this even if it's in the capacity of a writer contributing occasional episodes. I'd be a bit more reluctant to have Ronald D. Moore involved though; while he contributed some interesting stories to TNG, and arguably had a brilliant (albeit unfeasable at the time) concept for VOY, (which he later used for BSG '04,) a lot of his writing style clashes with the universe of Trek which is largely science–driven when possible. Barge of the Dead was his last contribution to Trek, and while it was a good episode of VOY, it dodged the question of how what we saw actually happened. This was great for BSG '04 which could play by different rules, but not that great for Trek.

It's so so so so so so so so so so so sooooo essential they don't bugger this up, Kurtzman and Kadin aren't the strongest of producers out there in terms of must-watch TV but neither was Vince Gilligan before Breaking Bad and now he's very sort after.

Again, I agree with you. My worry isn't that Kurtzman and Kadin are "weak" producers so much as it's that they're not really the kind of producers that seem to "get" Trek. Scorpion is probably the closest they've come to something like Trek, and based on what little I've seen of it, it's more along the lines of a "comedic action–procedural" with some scientific grounding than a "morality play" like Trek. This isn't to say that Kurztman and Kadin couldn't do something impressive, but the lack of anything similar in their respective portfolios does cause some concern for me.

Prior to ENT, the execs were willing to give TV trek the leash it needed to develop. My fear is that they treat it like ENT and don't allow it to be fine tuned and adjusted.

Trek received time to develop in a very different era than the one we're in today. ENT was produced in an era where it shouldn't have taken three years to fine–tune and adjust a series, and there's plenty of intelligent TV available now in a way that there wasn't when TNG–VOY were airing. The word "cerebral" is no longer a negative, and it shouldn't take three years to come up with an intelligent and successful TV series anymore. It should be easier to adjust faster, and while I'm for giving Trek a year or two to find its footing given how long its been off the air, it shouldn't take nearly as long as it was taking ENT to do so. The best thing CBS could do is ensure that this is in the Prime Universe, promote the hell out of it, and then stay as hands off as possible. Ideally they'll shoot it in some form of UHD or 4K DCI resolution that's on par with 35mm film, but something like green–lighting those tech specs should be the most that CBS execs do. The less they meddle with the script, the better.

I can't believe I'm typing this, but at least with the on-demand format there perhaps won't be as much pressure to appease network execs and advertisers, as well as the Outrage Industrial Complex that could force self-censorship when it comes to story themes. In other words, the show's audience will be the existing fan base and that's it, rather than the octogenarian network-TV-watcher crowd flipping thru the channels and being offended at everything that isn't Reading Rainbow.

(Just who watches CBS in 2015 anyway? People in waiting rooms in oil change shops?)

Unfortunately, with the way CBS All–Access is ad–supported, you can almost bet that the pressure to appease advertisers will still be therere. Likewise, the "Outrage Industrial Complex," (which is really an excellent take on a classic phrase in my opinion,) will likely be as strong as ever since they tend to convene online more often than not, and are typically willing to pay for new things to kvetch about. Aside from the fans, this is the other group that will inevitably watch the new Trek, the fans (good) and the people who just want something to complain about (bad) in a fit of phony outrage.

Oddly enough, while CBS has always aimed for a more mature audience, they do bring in a lot of young viewers and have typically been good with fresh faces in their content. They've got an audience that's young, but that typically has some income unlike the average 18–25 year old that the other networks aim their programming at.

TNG and DS9 had to hold a lot of stuff back when it came to themes of war, ethics, violence etc -- they were written in a different "ideas" environment than, say, the modern Battlestar Galactica that took on controversial issues head-on.

I honestly think that this was one of Trek's strong–points. The inability to just rip a story from the headlines forced the writers to be more creative, to use more allegories/metaphors, and to create a more intelligent show as a result. This is also part of what changed with ENT, the allegories/metaphors disappeared and the show just ripped ideas from the headlines, and the end result was schlock that lacked the creativity of the earlier shows. In my opinion, Trek is best when it doesn't go head–on, but relies on those allegories and metaphors to tell its morality plays. BSG '04 was good, but it was a very different show. There are some concepts that could be applied to Trek, (and that arguably were borrowed from Trek in some cases,) but others that I would prefer Trek to handled with its traditional level of gravitas. For example, The Siege of AR–588 was an excellent episode of DS9, but the reason it's memorable is that it's one of the few times when the crew actually had to leave a ship in a warzone, and actually had to tackle the cost of war head–on. If this was done more frequently, that episode would likely be far less memorable. (I also don't think there would have been much to gain by blowing off both of Nog's legs for the whole "half a man" metaphor, and feel that it would have been more of a "violence for the sake of violence" scenario.) Another good example of this would be Chain of Command, which did an excellent job of tackling the subject of torture, particularly because it wasn't too graphic about it, and focused on Picard not breaking under pressure, rather than how much blood his interrogator spilled over the number of lights in the ceiling. I'm all for Trek tackling controversial issues head–on, but it's never had an issue doing that before. What I worry about is "lazy" writing that avoids the allegories that make Trek interesting. ENT's "religous fanatics/suicide bomber" episode is a great example of what I'm getting at. In TNG–VOY they'd be a race willing to wipe themselves out over something comparable to religion, but not religion itself, but the allegory would be obvious. ENT didn't have to be creative about that sort of thing though, so we got a story that didn't make us think about who was analogous to who, and that wasn't nearly as well written as it could have been. (The ending of that episode was rather well executed though, but the rest of the episode did it a disservice, which is truly a shame.)

#87 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Music, acting, theatre, film, arts in General

Check out my band: www.facebook.com/eastportslackers

Posted 15 November 2015 - 07:06 AM

Defiant was introduced in the season 3 opener.

#88 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 03:56 PM

My mistake, I apologize for the inaccuracy; I thought that The Search was the start of Season 4 and not Season 3, but you're correct, it was actually the start of season 3. Granted, this only furthers the argument I was making with ENT though, which is that TNG–VOY managed to have their act together by season 3 whereas ENT pretty much didn't.

Also, as if the All–Access being a North American only thing wasn't enough of a slap in the face, I was looking into Trek Blu–Rays recently, and have discovered that we're being gouged there as well. ENT and TNG both have complete series box sets, (and I'm not talking about the way the UK uses the term "series" instead of "season," I'm talking every season as a whole series,) while we're still stuck with individual seasons. On the bright side, we do have a TOS–R box set, but the downside there is that it's the three individual sets shoved into a fancy wrapper with little to make it feel like an actual box set. And yes, the UK sets could be imported and are region–free, but that's not the point, the point is that CBS couldn't be bothered to release them over here in the first place without requiring fans in the US to pay to reverse–import the sets from the UK. I know Blu–Ray isn't as popular as DVD, but I'm far more inclined to throw money at complete seasons than at sets sold piecemeal. Oh well, I was going to start with ENT, but I guess I'll be starting with TOS for my TV–based Trek Blu–Ray collection. (If there was a complete series version of TNG–R I'd probably have started with that on the grounds that its TNG, but I admittedly wasn't expecting such a thing yet.)

#89 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:50 PM

I'm just going to leave this link here since it's somewhat relevant to the discussion at hand, and since my entire family howled when we saw this at the end of last week's Big Bang Theory.

www.chucklorre.com/index-bbt.php?p=509

#90 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7" Star trek action figures.

Star trek & writing fan fiction.

Posted 22 December 2015 - 07:03 AM

I can't believe that it's been a decade since Ent was cancelled. I was one of those who thought it wasn't before time. I am cautiously optimistic for a return and believe the on-demand format could be a good move ( we used to hire videos of TNG from the local video stor before it was eventually screened on British TV).

The bar for TV shows has been raised and Trek may struggle to compete unless the writers take risks. I don't love the concept of "edgy" in the way it is overused nowadays, but a new Trek has to be relevant to the world as it is now and pluralistic.

#91 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 30 December 2015 - 10:10 PM

Paramount and CBS are jointly suing the Axanar production team. Not so separate after all...

#92 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 05:53 AM

Paramount and CBS are jointly suing the Axanar production team. Not so separate after all...

Wait, what lead to the lawsuit against the Axanar production team? I though CBS had taken a pretty public stance that as long as fan–films aren't being used to generate a profit, they'd allow them to exist. (Did Axanar attempt to generate a profit?)

Also, business partners (and even competitors for that matter,) can and do sometimes file a joint lawsuit if they believe they're businesses are being collectively harmed in some way. In the case of CBS and Paramount, it's likely more of a procedural manner than anything else. CBS Inc. owns the intellectual property rights to Star Trek and its characters, concepts, etc. Paramount is effectively a "licensee" of sorts, in that they control (have a license) to create Star Trek motion pictures, to distribute said motion pictures theatrically, (and as of Into Darkness, apparently on DVD/Blu–Ray as well while acknowledging CBS in the fine print,) and to expand on the Star Trek universe in an official capacity. As a part of that deal, Paramount is almost certainly required to "protect the brand" (in other words, file lawsuits) from anyone who could potentially harm it as it relates to the motion picture aspect of the franchise. Where things get weird with Axanar is that it's technically a "film" since it's not a TV show, which means that Paramount is likely required contractually to be a part of the lawsuit, while the murky realm of fan–films also requires CBS to be a part of the lawsuit, as it could be treated as a web series as well, which would fall under CBS's purview for lawsuits. CBS and Paramount do not have the wall than fans believe exists between them; CBS controls everything related to TV, while Paramount Pictures controls creation and in some cases distribution of new motion pictures.

As far as the lawsuit against the Axanar production team goes, I don't want to comment on it too much until I know what lead to it, but I will say that it doesn't seem like the right foot to start a new series and an upcoming film off on, and tends to be the kind of thing that backfires by making the people filing the lawsuit usually look like desparate jerks while making the fans being sued look very sympathetic. It's one thing if the Axanar team has done something different than other fan filmmakers, but if it's just CBS and Paramount throwing their weight around, this is likely going to do them more harm than good.

#93 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 06:29 AM

I think it is mostly about money.  Axanar has raised something like $1,000,000 and Paramount & CBS might think this is headed toward making profit.  Part of the suit says they want up to $150,000 for each separate Star Trek copyrighted work infringed.  This would mean each copyrighted character, storyline, alien species, starship design, etc. used in the fan film!

I think Paramount is involved because a few characters and designs in Axanar are from the JJ-verse films.

There was at least one error I saw in the complaint.  It listed that there have been thousands of Star Trek episodes.  Even if you count the films you don't even reach 1,000.  Maybe they are including those from alternate universes?  :)

#94 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 03:12 PM

I think part of the issue that I've seen brought up is that they bought a studio using Axanar money that could be used for other for profit projects going forward.

That and 2016 is Treks 50th. No doubt we'll be learning a lot more about the new series and movie during the next couple months, and CBS/Paramount doesn't want some fan film distracting people from that.

What I find most amusing is that people are complaining about the suit because Axanar represents "True Trek" while all it is is a war movie and will probably have more action and space battles than the JJ films.

#95 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 11:48 PM

What I find most amusing is that people are complaining about the suit because Axanar represents "True Trek" while all it is is a war movie and will probably have more action and space battles than the JJ films.

Completely agree with you here, I can't understand the people claiming this is different from JJ Trek.

Also, Tony Todd (Worf's brother Kurn, future Jake in The Visitor) was attached to the project, and as of last night on twitter, was basically hinting the whole thing was a complete shambles.

https://twitter.com/TonyTodd54

#96 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 01:22 AM

Completely agree with you here, I can't understand the people claiming this is different from JJ Trek.

Also, Tony Todd (Worf's brother Kurn, future Jake in The Visitor) was attached to the project, and as of last night on twitter, was basically hinting the whole thing was a complete shambles.

https://twitter.com/TonyTodd54

Yeah, after reading some of what he said it made me wonder what info are we missing?

He hinted at the fact that Peters wasn't a real actor and was trying to take a crash course in acting.  In another tweet Peters implied Todd couldn't read (huh?).  Todd apparently walked four months ago and said it should have been finished by now.

I feel bad for the professionals that were working on this, both in front of and behind the camera.  I also feel for the fans that gave this thing money.  I did love the visual FX in the short film but thought it was just a glorified war story set in the Trek universe.

#97 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 02:26 AM

I have to say, as a fan of the prime universe, I've found myself really envious of what Disney have done with Star Wars lately. I'm not a fan of the franchise (...but I love playing the new game lol), but putting aside any niggles with the plot in Episode VII (I won't mention any here in case of spoilers), seeing Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill etc back playing their beloved characters must be so amazing for long-time fans. I completely understand why people cried upon seeing Hans Solo and Chewbacca at the end of that second trailer now back in the summer. Also, I find the way they've gone about updating some designs to be REALLY respectful to the series' roots, as they absolutely feel believable in-universe (e.g. Stormtroopers, X-Wings). Lastly, having one of the main writers be the same guy who's previously worked on the series, and not just be new people who proclaim to love it but change it beyond recognition...yeah, I'm completely, completely envious.

Basically, I just wish the same could be done with Star Trek, even for just a few short series of episodes made for netflix or something. It'd be such a good way to introduce new cast members by having them first serve with Picard, Riker, Colonel Kira, or Admiral Janeway.

Tl;dr
Disney have really given Star Wars the white glove treatment so far, and have truly delivered a movie the fans want. They've also introduced a multitude of seemingly amazing new characters that aren't just altered copies of older characters, and all this combined makes me, a Trekkie who feels he hasn't seen any new Star Trek since 2003, really envious.

Just my opinion by the way.

#98 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 04:06 AM

Since studios look at profit first and foremost, the new Star Wars' success combining old with new might catch on with the powers that be at CBS. I know the two universes are vastly different but we can always hope the new series takes a cue from TFA.

#99 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 10:19 PM

Quite frankly what Star Trek needed back in 2009 wasn't a reboot but just a revival in just the same way Star Wars has been revived.

Patrick Stewart, Kate Mulgrew, Jeri Ryan, Brent Spiner, Michael Dorn, Johnathan Frakes, Marina Sirtis, Gates McFadden and Wil Wheaton all reprising their roles as their characters 10 years after Nemesis... Leonard Nimoy back in some capacity and a story that introduced a new crew on either the Enterprise E or a new Enterprise.

Neither Alec Peters or Paramount understand this and have just resorted to cashing in on TOS.

It remains to be seen if CBS can recapture what was so brilliant about Star Trek. Hopefully they do take a cue from how well Lucasfilm reintroduced the Star Wars universe to established fans along with new fans alike.

#100 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 08:06 AM

http://www.axanarcoffee.com/

This is apparently a thing. I'd imagine the fact that Axanar is selling items using the Star Trek IP is a big part of the problem. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: star, trek, cbs, 2017, series

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users