• Please log in to reply
3700 replies to this topic

#3061 AndyW

AndyW

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 07:58 AM

I'm a total Eaglemoss fan boy, anyone who gives me an Akira class, let alone dozens and dozens and dozens of ships you struggle to find a clear picture of, let alone a physical product, can do no wrong to me.

But...I also don't like some of the transitions to jumbo size. The 1701 worked as they tried VERY VERY hard to get Issue 50 right in the standard size. I'm sure I heard Ben said they'd spent more time on that than many others. The transition to jumbo was I think we'd all admit, successful.

The D looks ok, but again, little things like the shuttlebay got carried over. Not the end of the world, but still.

The E looks to have all the horridness of the standard size, just made bigger. Doesn't bode well for me.

The NX-01 looks like the worst of the bunch, those bussard collectors have come straight from the small one wrongly, they are too small and don't sit right. Why this should happen when the collectors on the NX-01 refit are correct is beyond me.

I know the standard little NX-01 was pretty good, but I've always felt something was off with it, proportion wise, I know they used the CGI model etc etc etc, but parts of the saucer just don't look right to me, when comparing it with a screen shot, especially in side on view. And the bussard collectors annoy me every time I look at it.

That ring ship, WOW.

#3062 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 08:00 AM

It's not missing the deflector, it's just a part of the sculpt rather than an added piece.

And it looks bad not protruding from the hull like its supposed to. 

These jumbo's are just slapped together, blown up versions of their 5 inch ships. They have made zero changes to them at all, and all they are are attempts to get more money out of the sculpts, and for most of them so far they look bad. 

The only reason the D looks better is because of the impressive aztek paint apps on it. If DST added them to theirs, it would look a lot nicer than EM's does. 

I'm sure it'll work well for some of their ships, like the TOS Enterprise, probably Defiant, and hopefully Voyager, but it certainly doesn't work for all of them. 

#3063 AndyW

AndyW

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 08:00 AM

PS, got my D5 today, its rather good, although all the metal is in the 'head' of the ship so the weight balance feels odd in the hand. Still, very pleased to have it, surprised it took this long to do but I guess they've had to space it out so we don't get all the obscure stuff in one series of hits.

Oh, and I have to say, I think the situation will improve when we get to jumbo Voy and Defiant. Especially Defiant, that is going to look great.

If they do Excelsior, although I prefer the clean lines of the original shape the standard size issue was all over the place so I hope they use the Ent-B model.

On a more positive side, given what we have seen these last few years, is there any chance at all of getting an Akira jumbo? I can't even begin to imagine. :D

#3064 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 08:22 AM

Give me a jumbo Daedalus, or even an Enterprise J. 

#3065 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 10:52 AM

And it looks bad not protruding from the hull like its supposed to. 

These jumbo's are just slapped together, blown up versions of their 5 inch ships. They have made zero changes to them at all, and all they are are attempts to get more money out of the sculpts, and for most of them so far they look bad. 

The only reason the D looks better is because of the impressive aztek paint apps on it. If DST added them to theirs, it would look a lot nicer than EM's does. 

I'm sure it'll work well for some of their ships, like the TOS Enterprise, probably Defiant, and hopefully Voyager, but it certainly doesn't work for all of them. 

Sure, in your opinion.

I don't agree that these jumbos are slapped together, I'm hoping with each release they'll improve. We already know that the C will have the added impulse engine on the neck and the Excelsior will be an improvement over the initial release apparently and look, Alteran, its mostly down to the attitudes of the respective people we, the fans, come into contact with. Ben Robinson is a great guy, his great at chatting to the fans and being really understanding and appreciative of fan participation. Zach Oat? No way. He's a douche and that is a massive turn off for me to invest my money in DST Trek, on top of the fact that their product is so hit and miss in quality.

Eaglemoss quality is pretty good despite the flaws mentioned.

#3066 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:02 AM

They haven't improved.

Each one has just been the same sculpt as their standard issues, and each one has paint misalignment issues that seems to be pretty widespread. Even their smaller ships are plagued by misaligned paint apps, but it isn't as big of a deal because they-re small. 

DST may have some QC issues on their stuff, but the issues don't seem nearly as widespread as what's going on with these jumbo's.

Not to mention their shoddy stands that barely work a lot of the time without gluing them together. Both DST and Eaglemoss screwed up with their stand designs, but at this point they can't change them without it look out of place with the rest of the line. 

As for the C, I'll believe it when I see it. They botched that ship real bad, and it shocks me they even went through with the model they used. 

#3067 hobsgrg

hobsgrg

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:58 PM

The NX-01 looks like the worst of the bunch, those bussard collectors have come straight from the small one wrongly, they are too small and don't sit right. Why this should happen when the collectors on the NX-01 refit are correct is beyond me.

I think that will be because Doug Drexler created a new CG model for the refit whereas the jumbo is the original model scaled up. So fixes on the refit won't be on the jumbo.

#3068 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:27 PM

They haven't improved.

Each one has just been the same sculpt as their standard issues, and each one has paint misalignment issues that seems to be pretty widespread. Even their smaller ships are plagued by misaligned paint apps, but it isn't as big of a deal because they-re small.

What's the end goal here Alt? Are we forever to be locked in a battle between which is better?

I say Eaglemoss, you say DST... it's a no win scenario. Both have their great points, both have their low points, I personally think that the Jumbos are pretty decent.

DST may have some QC issues on their stuff, but the issues don't seem nearly as widespread as what's going on with these jumbo's.

Is what's wrong with the jumbos down to quality or simply an omission in the actual sculpt? I'd say that the quality was far superior to that of the DST ships and that is taking into consideration the poor attempts at lining up the windows correctly.

Quality wise - the materials used are of high grade and the construction of each seems solid. The paint application is crisp on both and minus errors in the physical sculpt - which DSTs version of the D has in abundance - the Eaglemoss Enterprise D is a great looking model, made to a high standard, minus a few gaffs with the windows.

As for the choice of sculpt - it's not perfect but it's a damned sight closer to the original 6ft filming miniature than the DST version which is just a steaming pile of badly put together pieces of plastic, with dodgy wiring inside it to boot.

No, fine if you like big cheap plastic tat, but the Enterprise D from DST is atrocious, it is the worst ship they have ever made, its bad.

Not to mention their shoddy stands that barely work a lot of the time without gluing them together. Both DST and Eaglemoss screwed up with their stand designs, but at this point they can't change them without it look out of place with the rest of the line.

I like the uniformity of the Eaglemoss stands. They are hit and miss though, some of the clear parts don't fit all too well into the black metal base and yes, apply too much force and they will snap - but these ships aren't for the heavy handed or kids, they are for adult collectors to be displayed proudly atop a shelf.

As for the DST stands. Once the ball joint loosens, the ship either falls off the stand or doesn't hold its position. Neither company do well in the stand department but again, at least there's the option there to glue the clear piece into the black metal base plate without harming the ship. Plus being in the UK, Eaglemoss will send out replacement stands almost immediately.

As for the C, I'll believe it when I see it. They botched that ship real bad, and it shocks me they even went through with the model they used. 

They absolutely did botch the C but here's my point - Eaglemoss are willing to admit they messed up. DST aren't. Eaglemoss are willing to go back to a ship when needed and retool it for their jumbo scale, DST aren't. Eaglemoss brilliantly interact with the fans in a positive way. DST don't. Eaglemoss excite us by revealing their next ship(s). DST leave us hanging to the point where we believed they'd lost the licence to McFarlane.

Say what you will but you're not going to change my mind on DST and it's clear I'm not going to change yours on Eaglemoss.

#3069 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:55 PM

EM:

RUcTt4v.jpg

DST:
zQmLMef.jpg

The saucer on EM is slightly more accurate, and the nacelle pylons are clearly more accurate. 

But the secondary hull and deflector on the EM ship is way off. 

But you're right. This argument is pointless. 

#3070 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:37 PM

Give me a jumbo Daedalus, or even an Enterprise J. 

I'd give a pint of blood for a jumbo Enterprise-J.  The jumbos are a great idea but I wish they'd skip some of the hero ships (Im looking at you NX-01 DST's version is damn near perfect) and get on to the more popular side ships that they did excellent sculpts of that would upsize real well.  J being the first onebut I'd also like to see the Akira and Promtheus get the jumbo treatment as well.

#3071 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 07 July 2017 - 12:44 AM

Alteran, those pictures are amazing, and more than prove the point. Your sentiments regarding the jumbos being the 5" models blown up in size also nails it.

I'll tell you the main reason I don't like the jumbo-D: It's based off of the 'These Are The Voyages...' CG version, which is as bad in my opinion as the 'Valiant' version of the Defiant.

To further Razorgeist's comment, I'd love to see a jumbo-Grissom added to that list of non-hero ships! :)

One thing that Ben mentioned ages ago, was the possibility of a D with saucer separation. I don't know what became of that idea, but I'd certainly be down for a larger-sized Prometheus that could split into three (or be held together magnetically).

#3072 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 04:03 AM

EM:
RUcTt4v.jpg

DST:
zQmLMef.jpg

The saucer on EM is slightly more accurate, and the nacelle pylons are clearly more accurate. 

But the secondary hull and deflector on the EM ship is way off. 

But you're right. This argument is pointless. 

Beautiful comparison shots that pretty much back up my point regarding the accuracy of Eaglemoss vs DST; they both have their flaws. It and also backs up the fact that this was a pointless argument to have started in the first place.

I don't like the DST D but more to the point, I don't like DST full stop, they're useless. Eaglemoss aren't.

If you're able to, how about doing the same comparisons for the NX-01?

#3073 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 01:46 PM

I feel like if Ben represented DST, and Zach represented EM, your position would be reversed. Especially since neither ship is accurate to the filming model. 

As for the NX-01, it'd be harder since they didn't have a physical model. I'd need to find easily re-creatable images from the show to use, and since I don't recall them showing the NX-01 from straight on, or directly above, it'd be harder to take a picture of DST's and EM's to compare.

There are a billion CGI representations of it out there, but I wouldn't want to use a fan made one. 

I'll give it a shot, but can't make any promises. 

#3074 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 04:40 PM

I feel like if Ben represented DST, and Zach represented EM, your position would be reversed. Especially since neither ship is accurate to the filming model.

Perhaps but at the end of the day, that isn't the cas and the DST Enterprise D is still horrible, regardless of it being DST or Eaglemoss, that opinion won't change, not just because of the inaccuracies, but because of the build quality and sloppy paint applications - talk about Eaglemoss misaligning windows, DST printing the windows onto the D are all over the place and on the very first release, missed out completely - it's also pot luck if you don't get one that isn't badly put together. Whether DST or Eaglemoss made the DST D, my opinion of that model wouldn't change - its complete shit, the other ships DST do are fine, with exception to the Refit 1701 which has the translucent plastic problem.

But like any company - it's how you are treated that ensures you come back or buy from them again.

#3075 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 08:08 PM

That also depends on which filming model. the 6 footer or the 4 footer?  I feel as though the DST E-D does its best to represent the 6 foot model while taking elements of the 4 footer.

#3076 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 08:22 PM

Which one of these is which:

http://www.ex-astris...ft-4ft-fore.jpg

I'll do the same thing with both of those images as I did with the one above.

#3077 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:44 PM

Ahh the top one is the 6 footer.

#3078 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 12:48 AM

I don't even think the QMx studio scale artisan model of the D got their deflector dish spot on.

#3079 trekkier

trekkier

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 07:05 AM

Anyone of the US subscribers get issues 93, 96 or 97? Seems they skipped over those for me...

#3080 Racer_X

Racer_X

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:26 PM

I have not received those issues, either.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users