Gothneo's Content

There have been 120 items by Gothneo (Search limited from 30-March 23)

Sort by                Order  

#97071 Star Trek: Discovery. Series talk and discussion

Posted by Gothneo on 16 October 2020 - 04:46 PM in SciFi news.

Thats actually a pretty positive review IMO... suggesting that they finally put out DISCOs dumpster fire! 

I look forward to watching the Season DVD for free when my public library gets it.

#97069 Star Trek: Discovery. Series talk and discussion

Posted by Gothneo on 16 October 2020 - 03:58 PM in SciFi news.

Didn't Season 3 just fire off this week? anyone have some feedback on S3EP1?

#97066 New Star Trek Series starring Patrick Stewart

Posted by Gothneo on 16 October 2020 - 07:08 AM in SciFi news.

I see my local library has a couple copies of Picard S1 now... so I'll finally be able to watch it.

#97049 Horga'hn Replica

Posted by Gothneo on 18 September 2020 - 06:08 PM in Roddenberry.com

Time to get back in the dating scene now that I have a Horga'hn!

One of the last Roddebberry Replicas out there... entertainment earth has them on sale for a really good price..., and theres not much else to capture my fancy these days so I thought why not!

ca61efd9-6902-4e3b-903b-1d3e43180b18.jpg

#97048 CBS All Access General Discussion

Posted by Gothneo on 16 September 2020 - 03:40 PM in SciFi news.

true.

#97046 CBS All Access General Discussion

Posted by Gothneo on 16 September 2020 - 04:31 AM in SciFi news.

I agree with the article that Paramount is the stronger brand name. It also reflects the wider library the service is making available.

#97043 Should Playmates make a Star Trek: Lower Decks line?

Posted by Gothneo on 12 September 2020 - 10:19 AM in Playmates

it seems like we're the ones sustaining action figures and it's largely out of habit. Our favorite toys have gone the way of vinyl records. People buy them out of nostalgia or novelty, depending on their age.

I don't even know if the intended audience of action figures is into action figures these days, aside from the Marvel stuff which seems to have some momentum in stores. Everything else is niche stuff marketed to '90s kids: various McFarlanized items for $29.99 a pop.

Vinyl is still made... and they charge more than ever for it... and people still actively trade, collect and seek it out... but it is a niche, yes nostalgia, but there are some (misinformed) audiophiles that just believe its better.... also there are select rare recordings that you can only get on vinyl. 

Marvel and Star Wars have managed to hang on by re-selling better versions of the same thing (and they have lots of media)... maybe Playmates and AA/DST are the pinnacle  of trek toys? But would it be so bad if the hobby was mostly about aftermarket items? Morgan does a fantastic job at scanning and writing up playmates auctions. 

#97027 Star Trek: Discovery. Series talk and discussion

Posted by Gothneo on 30 August 2020 - 06:51 PM in SciFi news.

Yep. Long time fans already made their minds up. its a great opportunity to get it in front of casual watchers and maybe get some new fans.

#97022 Star Trek: Discovery. Series talk and discussion

Posted by Gothneo on 26 August 2020 - 07:54 PM in SciFi news.

I'm betting that most people have already found a way to see it for free.

#97018 Current value of early AA figures

Posted by Gothneo on 23 August 2020 - 02:16 PM in AA / DST

Well...  you could list them as auctions starting at MSRP. Then the market would tell you their worth. If they are low hopefully you get enough over MSRP to pay the fees. Or you could list a price you're happy with... and add the best offer option... see where it takes you?

#96996 Star Trek: Discovery. Series talk and discussion

Posted by Gothneo on 07 August 2020 - 07:48 PM in SciFi news.

I can't say theres much Nick content I enjoy... but Ren and Stimpy is always fun. Likewise, not much on BET catches my eye... but I do like Comedy Central... a few MTV shows and the Smithsonian channel prob has some interesting content.

#96991 Star Trek: Discovery. Series talk and discussion

Posted by Gothneo on 06 August 2020 - 11:09 AM in SciFi news.

So... if you have an account it it will give you a month for free if you go to renew. If you pay for a year it looks like you get 13 months instead of 12? at least thats how it looks... so that comes to $7.69 a month if you go commercial free. 

I was looking at all the additional content they have... its def a better value now with that.

#96988 Figure Values

Posted by Gothneo on 02 August 2020 - 02:42 PM in Playmates

just out of curiosity... and maybe you already do this.. but have you thought of mining the data to create a database that tracks the values based on the market sales? that would kinda neat from a data since perspective... maybe no real practice value unless you were looking to buy and sell I suppose.

#96986 Star Trek: Discovery. Series talk and discussion

Posted by Gothneo on 01 August 2020 - 06:50 PM in SciFi news.

Yeah, I keep getting the 1 month free trial things... and AA had other things I enjoyed, but with all the new Viacom shows being added to AA  I'll eventually come back for a few months.

#96982 Star Trek: The OTHER Animated Series announced

Posted by Gothneo on 31 July 2020 - 06:43 AM in SciFi news.

Hmmmm... just read that Nickelodean is part of Viacom and is going to be added to CBS's AA streaming service, so... seems like you will get to stream the NICK show... if you have AA.

#96981 CBS All Access General Discussion

Posted by Gothneo on 31 July 2020 - 06:42 AM in SciFi news.

I read that CBS AA, with the merger of Viacom is adding a lot more content, BET, NICK, CC, and lots more including more paramount movies. 

There is a lot I don't care about... however there are a number of shows on Comedy Central I like and would watch. 

This is really prob a good thing for the Service. More content is a better value for the consumer. 

#96980 Star Trek: Discovery. Series talk and discussion

Posted by Gothneo on 30 July 2020 - 05:30 AM in SciFi news.

Maybe for Christmas I'll re-up for a month to catchup on DISCO and Picard... The franchise is in a state that I'm just not excited enough to pay for it monthly. 

#96979 Star Trek: The OTHER Animated Series announced

Posted by Gothneo on 30 July 2020 - 05:25 AM in SciFi news.

If its to air on Nickelodeon then it will be for children and not really for adults... I say that a bit tongue in cheek as Nick has had some cartoon shows that, while aimed at children where controversial, maybe most notably Ren & Stimpy. But I can't see them going that direction... maybe there are other new shows that are that edgy but I don't think so.

#96970 Should Playmates make a Star Trek: Lower Decks line?

Posted by Gothneo on 22 July 2020 - 07:05 AM in Playmates

TMNT isn't a property I collect... but the buzz I've read seems to be generally positive about the the way playmates has handled and upgraded that line. So I don't doubt they *could* modernize and do an updated 4" scale trek line... I just wonder if they want too... and if you update the sculpts, styling and POA on the line... will longtime collectors of the original line want to mix and match?

Hasbro has done a pretty good job (finally) of upgrading most of the original ToyBiz Marvel Legends... to a point that I've purchased many of the Hasbro versions and sold off the ToyBiz version... that should be Playmates goal. Sell me a better product than before... and better than DST. 

#96966 The Happy Birthday Thread!!

Posted by Gothneo on 21 July 2020 - 07:49 AM in Random thoughts.

Been missing WORF22's  happy birthday posts... and I noticed its "The_Donsters" Birthday today! Happy Birthday... wherever you are!  :djparty:

#96963 Should Playmates make a Star Trek: Lower Decks line?

Posted by Gothneo on 20 July 2020 - 07:25 PM in Playmates

I dunno if Playmates sees a lot of collectors or kids-pestering-parent-buyers out there. 

But are figure buyers, in any age group, there at all?

Seems like the super hero genre still has some... but I think much has gone to high end niche.

#96960 Should Playmates make a Star Trek: Lower Decks line?

Posted by Gothneo on 20 July 2020 - 04:46 PM in Playmates

I don't really have an issue with smaller scales as much as I once did... time was that the smaller scale meant limited POA and bad paint apps... Obviously companies like Hot Toys raised the bar on 1/6, but hasbro really took things in the 3 3/4 inch scale to new levels. Reto/vintage is certainly fun... but I guess the nostalgia only takes me so far... so I really like the more modern stuff... and I'm sorry but playmates just didn't step up when they had a go at it in 2009... and I can't see that they would step it up any more... which maybe thats what some niche collectors want... and if they can make a go of that then ok.

#96943 2020 Exclusives

Posted by Gothneo on 18 July 2020 - 06:46 AM in Conventions

Thats actually a pretty nice prop rep!

#96941 Toy Show Displays

Posted by Gothneo on 17 July 2020 - 12:10 PM in Playmates

thanks! Yeah... I think, in part scalping died down a lot when gas started spiking... and then the cost of items basically doubled... so then a 100% mark up... for a Marvel Legend for example, went from $20, to $40... and the scalper had to spend more gas money to acquire the items... so maybe they are still lucky to make $10 on a $20 item?

#96937 Toy Show Displays

Posted by Gothneo on 17 July 2020 - 12:46 AM in Playmates

Wish that article wasn't behind a paywall... looks interesting!