• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Morgan

Morgan

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 07:59 AM

Here's a very well done Dr. Crusher custom figure with a very detailed card. The body, of course, is a repainted Tasha figure.

I don't think the head is 3D-printed, which would have been my way to go, but it's rather a redress of something else.

If I had to nitpick anything it's that the photo is obviously of Crusher from the later seasons, which you can tell by the collar of the uniform. The figure itself is a diamond uniform though.

crusher.jpg

The card itself is very detailed and very committed, with unique graphics added to the back.

I think 3D printing, as it becomes more accessible, will really open up the production of custom figures, especially now that you can build a 3D model of an actor's head and let the printer do the rest.

This particular figure, in case you're wondering, sold on eBay for not much money at all -- about the price of a Galoob Ferengi figure.

crushers-2.jpg

#2 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 08:54 AM

Here's a custom Wesley figure, patterned after the prototypes that Galoob itself in the late 1980s but never released, even though there are a number of them floating around and selling at auction from time to time.

This one feels like the legs are from Galoob and the body and head are from something else, and then modified to look like Wes.

The builder of this figure made a number of these, and each one is a little different, so it's not quite an industrial process that was used to produce these.

wesley.jpg

If my goal was to create a fully articulated figure in the style of Galoob I think I would have 3D printed the whole thing -- there are not too many easy ways to produce the sweater and the head without a lot of work.

The result is convincing, I would say, but perhaps only from a few feet away.

romulan.jpg

#3 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 08:57 AM

Here's a custom Romulan figure, the build process for which looks like a nightmare compared to Crusher or Wesley.

It must have been really difficult to create the pleated pattern of the uniform. Note too that this it the Marc Alaimo Romulan from TNG.

Impressive effort here overall, complete with the prototype-style card.

wesley-Copy.jpg

This one looks like it took a lot of effort. I think the legs are from the Q figure.

romulan-Copy.jpg

#4 Matty-lad

Matty-lad

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 11:53 AM

I actually bought a bearded Riker from the same seller. I was gonna buy the 2 Crushers as well as the Romulan if he was gonna relist them however when I asked he said he didn't have the components left to make any more. I was gutted.

#5 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 03 October 2020 - 06:38 PM

Here's an interesting Locutus figure. The Picard figure actually lends itself pretty well to this kind of custom, because you can just paint him black and the glue different parts over the body. 

What's curious about this one is that the headpiece is... not really close to what Stewart actually had on his head. I think I'm more impressed with the packaging here than the realism of the figure.

I don't know what it is about Borg figures that has let multiple manufacturers to just riff on their looks and not look at the source material all that much.

locutus-custom.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users