• Please log in to reply
229 replies to this topic

#81 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:34 AM

QT is a bit of an odd guy in so much that he's said he's only going to make 10 movies and then retire... So I doubt he'll actually direct this one... But he does not seem to include writing, acting or producing in that ten, so I could see him being involved, but it not being a Tarrentino movie.

QT is all about dialog, which is allot of what TV trek is... So in that regards I think he understands it's not really supposed to be an action franchise... But that seems to be what the studios want to make it.

Also... I got the I,passion that he's not against an ensemble cast... But he was pointing out that the movies seems compelled to try and fully utilize the original ensemble... You have to have sulu checkov, Scotty etc... Even if the story doesn't call for them... And there ar plenty of TOS episodes that those characters play small parts... If any at all... I took his point to be that you write a good story and use what you need. And he's right about about the whole Khan fiasco..

So though I don't think he will direct a Trek movie... I could see him producing and even contributing to a screen play.

#82 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:00 PM

For a long long time he has been wanting to direct a science fiction movie. If Abrams and Paramount were keen to take Star Trek into the public eye again, I think theyve got to be thinking this is a film theyd like Tarantino to direct.

Lets face it, the revival of Star Trek on the big screen was really very short lived; it boiled down to one movie that grabbed the publics attention and then lost it four years later with Into Darkness and further still with an enjoyable but rather forgettable Star Trek Beyond.

Anyone at Paramount not onboard the USS Quinten Tarantino would be a fool, simply because if you have a movie franchise not hitting the financial figures youd like to see and with each movie, that figure dives rather than rises, then you have a dead franchise. So if a director like QT comes along with an idea then you fucking well better see how huge that would be for Star Treks future.

This is a one shot; I say give him the keys, let him direct his movie, bring a writers room together that Tarantino knows and has worked with before, people he can collaborate with, lets see Abrams producing and lets see what happens. Its Star Trek, the freedom the franchise gives you in doing something totally different and unconnected to anything that has come before, thats just a great story that grips not just fans but the mainstream public too.

This is only good news so far and I think his [Tarantinos] opinions on Star Trek and how he would make a Star Trek movie are exciting to hear. Its a good way to go if this is indeed the way its going because it offers up endless possibilities in retelling great original stories with the resources and financial support a big screen treatment of lets say; City on the Edge of Forever or Doomsday Machine or Yesterdays Enterprise would need.

He also presents an opportunity here for Paramount to look at the James Bond, Deadpool and Logan model for making a movie. By that I mean a stand alone story that requires no sequel or prior knowledge on canon before coming into the theatre, a movie that has a lower budget, that isnt afraid to take some risks but something that is also respectful of the source material and characters it portrays and a sharper focus on a specific character or characters...

Lets say theyre doing City on the Edge of Forever. What would that look like on the big screen?

Well hypothetically, youd loose the Star Trek title. Youd call it The City on the Edge of Forever. No James Bond movie is ever called James Bond: Skyfall.

Youd only have Kirk, Spock & McCoy in the bulk of the movie with Sulu, Scotty and Uhura playing cameo roles. Perhaps you keep Pine, Quinto and Urban and then recast the others?

This would be a period piece set in 1930s New York - that itself would be such a rich and thrilling place to see a Star Trek movie set and something totally obscure and original for a science fiction movie to do. This is about love and loss, not about space battles and lasers. The science fiction aspect is via the time travel - a Star Trek favourite. This then becomes a movie that is very much a movie I could see a director like Quinten Tarantino take on and do very very well. A smaller movie, lower budget, driven by character rather than Star Wars style spectacle and a bad guy bent on vengeance or destroying earth. This would be a pure Star Trek movie, adapted from not the Episode as so much the original teleplay by Harlan Ellison.

#83 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:09 PM

According to Deadline as reported by John Campea on his podcast show, the next Star Trek movie will be rated R - this was a pre-requisite of Quinten Tarantino being involved. Paramount and Abrams agreed and this project is seemingly moving at quite a pace; Tarantino has met with several writers with the front runner being Mark L. Smith, the writer of The Revenant.

#84 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 12:15 AM

And you still can't get his name right,LOL!!

I don't care what rating it gets as long as there's a new ST movie.

#85 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:17 AM

You shouldn't call him out on his spelling,he might get offended. Of course it's okay for him to correct others poor spelling habits though.

#86 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 12:14 PM

I dont think I am? But oh well.

Quinten Tarantino.

How do you spell it?

#87 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 12:15 PM

You shouldn't call him out on his spelling,he might get offended. Of course it's okay for him to correct others poor spelling habits though.

I only corrected you, since youre a bigoted human being who needs to be shot down every chance people get you utter fool.

#88 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 12:38 PM

Quinten Tarantino.

Quentin Tarantino

I only corrected you, since youre a bigoted human being who needs to be shot down every chance people get you utter fool.

Why are you even bothering with them anymore? Just put them on ignore like the rest of us have. 

#89 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 04:24 PM

See I just call him QT and avoid getting it wrong😜

#90 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:53 PM

Quentin Tarantino

Why are you even bothering with them anymore? Just put them on ignore like the rest of us have. 

Quentin! Thanks! Truth be told, I use my iPhone to comment on this forum and it always auto corrects to Quinten \🙂/

Also as a result of using my iPhone, I cant find any ignore button... haha.

So guys, R-rated Star Trek! Yay or nay?

#91 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 04:32 AM

I don't think they need to go R rated... Not that that I don't enjoy R rAted movies... But I'd vote no to rated trek. Seems unecessary.

#92 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 10:40 AM

I'll let the MPAA worry about the rating but I'm generally not impressed with any film that shoots for an R just for the sake of doing so. I understand that Tarantino wants his creative freedom and that's fine but ultimately it'll be up to Paramount if they need to trim an F-bomb to make this a hard PG-13. Which would be all kinds of ironic.

19b59b.jpg

#93 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 11:49 AM

I think if anyone else was involved in the project Id be dubious of a rating being announced before even a script is done but as its QUENTIN Tarantino, he gets a pass from me as his movies are generally very well crafted stories that arent R rated for the sake of the R rating.

I think Star Trek movies need a kick up the arse and not always be about the heroes facing off against a villain bent on vengeance or destroying the earth. If anyone can deliver a different kind of Star Trek movie, one that encapsulates the very best of Star Trek without falling into heroes fight 2 dimensional villain then Quentin Tarantino can, and if the f-bomb is dropped or we see someones guts explode from their body... 1) so what 2) therell be a good reason for that IN the story rather than just done for the sake of it looking good.

#94 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:48 PM

I don't think there is any story moment where someone could say fuck in Star Trek without some fans getting all pissy about it. 

Discovery has a perfect example of this. 

#95 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 12:37 AM

So I'm on ignore for throwing out what was basically a joke?! Good to know. And since I joke a lot I guess it won't be seen much here then,I can joke all I want!! YAAAY!!!! LOL!!!! Trekkers DO have a sense of humour,right? lol.

#96 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 01:12 AM

So I'm on ignore for throwing out what was basically a joke?! 

Who put you on ignore?

#97 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:42 AM

So I'm on ignore for throwing out what was basically a joke?! Good to know. And since I joke a lot I guess it won't be seen much here then,I can joke all I want!! YAAAY!!!! LOL!!!! Trekkers DO have a sense of humour,right? lol.

Ive not ignored you?

I think a lot of folks put VF on ignore due to his ignorant and bigoted remarks made in previous posts and topics.

I think all you could be accused of Robster is using LOL too much haha 😂

#98 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:47 PM

Lol?! ??

#99 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 10:25 AM

http://sciencefictio...iled-marketing/

Can't say I disagree. It's exactly why I've been avoiding movie trailers, TV spots, and online featurettes the last couple years, a practice that's served me well, I might add. 

#100 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 10:27 AM

Beyonds marketting was just trash, and I would definitely say it contributed to the movie performing like it did.

I only watch teaser trailers nowadays, and Ive been pretty happy with that choice since trailers seem to spoil so much now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users