• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 skeletor

skeletor

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 04:16 PM

I've been wanting some ships to go along with my collection for sometime now. I don't have any and I was wondering what you guys think of the DST classic enterprise. I know some on here have said that TWOK enterprise was a bit messed up (the nacelles were bent)??
Have you guys had any problems with the classic ship that you've purchased?

OH and on the sound f/x does it include the bridge sound that playmates had?

#2 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek: The Original Series <br />Graphic Design <br />Star Trek 2009 <br />Model Making <br /><br />

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:28 PM

I'm actually getting rid of my DST classic ships because to be honest, i think the playmates classic ship is far better. There are some pro's to it though so i'll take you through the pros and the cons:

Cons:

- A lot of people had an issue with the bent warp nacelles on this ship too - i have two versions, one from the cage and the other from the main series. The one from the cage doesn't have this problem but my main series one does.

- My main series one also has the port and starboard lights mixed up.

- The Cage version has a miss-aligned registry - which i believe was another problem on this ship.

- The stands are flimsy and mine have both broken.

- the ship itself feels fragile

- the orange thing at the front of both nacelles are a bit too clear and this makes it look a little cheap since you can see the light bulb poking through the flat plastic that the orange dome connects too.

- the screw covers are way too obvious

the pro's:

- it features really cool lights and sounds including the bridge sound behind dialog from Kirk

- a lights on feature is included too

- there is very little to no light bleed which always pissed me right off with the Khan ship

- the proportions seem to be pretty accurate too.

Personally i'd wait for the HD version smile.gif

#3 skeletor

skeletor

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:40 PM

Thank you for that reply, I appreciate it!
I'll probably just end up getting the playmates.

Has the DST enterprise D been released yet?

#4 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:58 PM

Not yet.

#5 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek: The Original Series <br />Graphic Design <br />Star Trek 2009 <br />Model Making <br /><br />

Posted 11 April 2009 - 06:45 PM

no worries, I love the PM version so a good choice if you find it! good luck!

#6 Hermey the Elf

Hermey the Elf

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 11:11 AM

Skeletor, the DST/AA TOS Enterprise toys are incredibly well done. Keeping in mind these are $25-30 toys and not museum pieces (as some people here seem to think they should be), I could not be more pleased. I have all three versions and will be getting the upcoming Mirror Mirror and HD versions, too.

#7 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 12 April 2009 - 11:22 AM

QUOTE (Hermey the Elf @ Apr 12 2009, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Skeletor, the DST/AA TOS Enterprise toys are incredibly well done. Keeping in mind these are $25-30 toys and not museum pieces (as some people here seem to think they should be), I could not be more pleased. I have all three versions and will be getting the upcoming Mirror Mirror and HD versions, too.

I'll second these sentiments. I have both the AA and PM verions and, hands down, the AA version is far superior in detail. As far as warped nacelles, I didn't have a problem with mine on the TOS version, but I have seen some warping on the movie versions ... but I have 4 of them and only 1 has the bend.

#8 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:33 PM

As far as I recall, neither my TWOK Ent or B/D TWOK Ent had bent nacelles, but it's been awhile since I've had them out. The original TOS Ent is a fantastic piece and makes for an extremely awesome display, especially with the feature to keep the lights on. The only thing that really got me was the trouble with the primary registry. For something that can be replicated without flaw on cheaper miniature versions of the same ship, this shouldn't have ever been a problem - especially not at that scale, and not that badly.

#9 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:56 PM

QUOTE (Hermey the Elf @ Apr 12 2009, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well i don't think they should be museum pieces but i think they should be a little more robust than what they are - even for a $25/$30 toy. there not incredible, i mean i think your being overly generous, they are decent renditions of that ship but the problems i've pointed out are general problems i can remember many people having as well as me with their ships when they first got them. You had to be really lucky to get one without a problem, so unless your really lucky and pick one up without any of the problems i mentioned, then you'll be happy with it but going by the one i have, they both have irritating problems that could have easily been spotted by DST's QC wink.gif

So best bet is to go and buy one and select it yourself or hope that the one you do order doesn't have a problem - like misaligned registry or wonky nacelles. smile.gif If your after a better light in the orange bits - Playmates version is better, if your after a better lighting system all over - DST's version will fill that gap - if you want crew dialog then DST's ship does the trick, both models are pretty well proportioned, i would say DST's version is a little more proportioned because it isn't really a robust toy meant for kids play. But if you want a decent model, robust, well proportioned, toy with great ship sounds then Playmates is your answer.

#10 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 03:03 PM

I also think the DST/AA is far supeiror to the PM version. I've never had a problem with bent nacelles on any of my DST ships, and I have several of each release. I did have some problems with the paint on a WNMHGB version, but my Cage and production versions of the TOS E were great.

#11 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:57 AM

The only problem I had was on my Cage Version, and it was with the Deflector Dish being bent...

#12 A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:56 AM

QUOTE (slayerone76 @ Apr 12 2009, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... but I have 4 of them and only 1 has the bend.

As far as TWOK ships go, my experience is the exact opposite. I also have 4, and all but one of them has bent nacelles to varying degrees. I actually think it's kinda rare to find one that ISN'T bent, since I remember someone in the forum diving through case after case at some store looking for one that was of decent quality.

That having been said, this is the first I've heard of the TOS version of the ship suffering from bent nacelles. In fact the only really common problems in terms of QC that I see with the TOS ship is the misaligned registry decals on the top of the saucer. It does suffer from some design defects that detract from the overall quality of it though. I've got 2 TOS ships, and on both there's a big seam gap running lengthwise down the nacelles. It's most prominent in the center of the nacelle as the caps on the front and back seem to hold it together very tightly if I remember correctly (I haven't had the ship out for display in a long time). The screw covers are easy to spot a mile away. In contrast to NF, I kinda like how they did the rotating lights on the front of the nacelles, though.

I also think that overall, the DST ship is proportioned better than the PM version.

#13 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:57 AM

I think the main problem with the PM is that it suffers from the same "chunky" quality as the other PM ships. I understand that it is because it is made to be sturdier because it is a toy meant to be played with, but this quality doesn't do the ships justice. The ships need to look graceful and flowing, like a sculpture, a work of art. DST's ships manage to embody the subtle beauty and grace of the designs. PM's ships, while fun to play with, didn't convey the impressions awe and wonder that the ships gives you when you see them on screen.

#14 Kyp Durron

Kyp Durron

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • Interests:ST props, models, and Lightsabers OH MY!

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE (A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees @ Apr 13 2009, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I actually think it's kinda rare to find one that ISN'T bent, since I remember someone in the forum diving through case after case at some store looking for one that was of decent quality.

*Raises hand*

That was me, sir. laugh.gif I went to New Force and Rick allowed me to go though all the cases he had. It was indeed hard to find one with out paint slop and reasonably straight front nacelle pieces.

Does anyone here know when the HD version of the TOS ship is supposed to come out?

*EDIT* I emailed Rick and he replied saying the ETA was this summer.

-Kyp

#15 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 01:57 PM

For the record, I finally opened up my DST original Enterprise today. I was curious to compare it to the Playmates ship from the new movie that I just picked up. I was a bit disappointed with the DST's paint quality. Little smudges everywhere; some weird clumps of raised paint bumps in a couple spots including the front of the saucer; numerous little black flecks stuck to the ship, particularly on the underside of the saucer.... No bent nacelles, though, as far as I could tell. I have another one on the way from BBTS right now; maybe it will be better.

#16 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 08:24 PM

I didn't have any bent nacelles... and I was very happy with this... but after others had mentioned it I did go back and look and there is a lot of smudging all over the Classic Enterprise and the TWOK Enterprise. Not enough to drive me nuts, but it's definitely there.

#17 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 01:49 AM

I didn't notice any smudges or anything like that cuz I just took them out of the box and hung them up on the ceiling.

#18 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:00 AM

I just remembered that they rereleased the plain TOS Enterprise alongside the Mirror, Mirror and HD versions in the current style of packaging, but don't think anyone talked about picking it up? I've been curious if anyone ever did, and if this run corrected the "EnteRPRise" text error that plagued the original run?

#19 Pauln6

Pauln6

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 02:26 AM

Just having a 'KHAAN' button makes the TWoK Eterprise worthwhile, bent Nacelles or not!

#20 Zodou

Zodou

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:10 PM

I have two TWOK ships, neither of which have bent nacelles. (Lucky?) On the other hand All of my TOS ships have bent pylons. dry.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users