30 replies to this topic

#1 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:55 AM

Members of the forum,

I have long put this off, but it's time to consider something. This forum version that we all know and love is way out of date. It is barely supported by Invision at this point. Invision has been encouraging me to update to the most current version for some time, but I have put it off. The reason is that while we will gain a great deal, we will also lose a few things like some of the skins here that we all use. none of that is transferable.

I have been using the more modern skins at my other two forums, trekpropzone.com and propfixs.com and they do have some amazing things, and considering the lack of support, are things that are worth the switch.

As I understand it, all posts and such will transfer over it's more a matter of learning the new forum and look of the new skin(s).

#2 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:42 PM

Sounds like upgrading would be a good thing to do, I fully support it and am interested in seeing what the new version will look like. biggrin.gif

#3 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:23 PM

Change........NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! I smell the work of Khan!

In all honesty, lets do it! Is there an estimated time that you think the switch is going to happen? Days, months, weeks?

#4 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

I think a change would be welcomed, we all like the old forum but i think a new bigger and better one would be awesome. Like the Trekref site, it was awesome for the time but now it has moved to the next level. It might be time here. Sure we loose the old skins but who'se to say we cant make even cooler ones with the new layout. Time to move from 22nd century to 24th wink.gif Trektoy Forum: The Next Generation

#5 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

Well... as long as you get us a new TOS skin!

I basically set it to TOS and never change it, but if we loose it oh well, I'll adapt!

Will we keep our ranks? or do we start over and have to come up again?!

#6 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

uh-oh...i remember the rank debate from some time ago...

#7 richpit

richpit

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek toys, Star Trek props, Star Trek stuff in general!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:47 PM

I'm down for the upgrade, Mark. What the heck. Like you said, we've seen it on the other boards and it's good.

#8 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

Ranks and skins (nice as they are), are just the trimmings.

The turkey and cranberries are the functionality (which IMHO is already nice - quick edit, I'm looking at you!), and the content.

So, provided we get a tastier, moister turkey upon which to smear our interesting and witty cranberries (there's life in the old metaphor yet!), I say UPGRADE AWAY!

#9 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

yeah... but its part of the fun! I'm just curious is all!

#10 Wildcard

Wildcard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

FHC, as always, whatever is easiest on you as the owner of this forum.

#11 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

Do whatever works best for you, sir. I will continue to frequent this forum regardless of the changes made.

#12 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

If I had a time table, I'd guess around 2 weeks. See once it got so old, IPB stopped offering support and when that happened I stopped paying for support. I now have to resign back up and pay for all the upgrades. Then I'll be back to my normal every 6 months fees.

#13 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:20 AM

If this is free...I think its a fine forum. Have we been experiencing any problems to justify a monthly fee? I dont want to put any strain on you that doesnt have to be since I think what we have a is pretty good.

#14 WORF22

WORF22

• Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:15 PM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Nov 29 2012, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If this is free...I think its a fine forum. Have we been experiencing any problems to justify a monthly fee? I dont want to put any strain on you that doesnt have to be since I think what we have a is pretty good.

dido on that... it works for me.

#15 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

Yeah, agreed - if there is a fee involved, and no pressing need to change, it needn't. But since support isn't available for this version, maybe set up a monthly or weekly auto-backup of the forum data in case of catastrophic failure. I have no idea how possible this is... but if it is, it would allow you to take the fee-paying plunge only when absolutely necessary.

I don't imagine we're active enough to pull in much in the way of ad revenue for you *disables adblocker on this site* wink.gif

EDIT:

*notices there aren't any ads anyway*

#16 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:57 AM

This site offers the best way to talk to other fans about Star Trek toys. Could it be better sure (I kind of think there are too many sub-forums and those forums seem to me as though there never visited?) but as it is at the moment, it's familiar and easy to navigate so hopefully any upgrade will be as easy or easier smile.gif

Looking forward to whatever comes of this smile.gif maybe a 2009 Star Trek theme biggrin.gif

#17 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

No ads as I pay for everything out of pocket.

#18 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

I honestly have mixed feelings about this. If we lose the old skins, that's fine with me as long as we get new skins to replace them. If we could get some more 24th Century Trek skins, (e.g. TNG/VOY/LCARS,) I probably wouldn't mind the update. (I've been wanting to use an LCARS theme for ages, but the TOS theme is the only one that really has a "Starship" feel to it in my opinion. I like the Christmas theme at the holidays, but it never renders correctly for me, so I can't use it anymore. sad.gif) Likewise, I really want us to be able to carry our join date, rank, and post count through the upgrade, even if it means that the board has to go offline early to make a note of the ranks/post counts to manually enter them later.

On the other hand, I've used other Invision boards that have been upgraded, and it hasn't always been a pleasant experience for me. On newer computers the upgraded boards are fine, but on older machines, they tend to move at the speed of a slug. (I don't know if this is Invision's fault or the way the other webmasters have things set up, but it's something I feel is worth noting.) Nothing is worse than trying to type a message and "ha...v....i...n..g......i..t......re...n...d...er......l..ik...e...th..i..s
." I could be typing the "d" in "render," and the message won't even have the "v" in "having" on the screen yet. (Just imagine typing in slow

#19 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

As I understand it, the skins that we have now are not usable at all.

Guys I'll be moving on this soon as I can. I want to make sure that I have time to commit to fallow though once I start.

#20 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE (FHC @ Dec 13 2012, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Guys I'll be moving on this soon as I can. I want to make sure that I have time to commit to follow though once I start.
FHC, thanks for the heads

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users