Photo

Ask DST #249 - 'Defiantly' (nudge wink) not telling us just yet... ;)

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:50 AM

I'm hopeful it'll be a good version based off the Eaglemoss version (they used assets given to them by CBS and Paramount, so I imagine DST would do the same).

Randomly, there is a sadistic side of me (bearing in mind the ship I want more than any other is the Defiant) hoping they're now going to be making the Runabouts. As much as I might shed tears, I'd howl with laughter, whilst be chuffed at the same time. :D

#22 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:00 AM

Sooo many possibilities... :)

ETA:

Regular Defiant

Battle-damaged Defiant

Partially cloaked Defiant in blue translucent plastic

Fully cloaked Defiant

Valiant

Battle-damaged Valiant

I would have a Defiant shelf!

#23 tuvok47

tuvok47

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:32 AM

Oh I forgot one!  The ISS Defiant from the Mirror universe eps.  haha

#24 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:39 PM

Was just thinking before about how they've made both the Enterprise-B, and Excelsior. Obviously both are very similar, but with some differences that would still require a different mould. Therefore, it'd be unusual not to see a Reliant pop up one day (even as one of the next two to be honest, as it's the last big ship from the TOS/TMP era).

However, it got me thinking, I wonder how hard it'd be (and by hard, I mean financially viable etc) to make a Nebula class? It shares so much with the Galaxy class, the only really 'new' part would be the equipment pod and its pylon (deflector issues aside!), of which they could make a few varieties - Phoenix vs all the rest with the triangular pod, Sutherland being the most likely. I'd honestly love a Nebula class, as it's on par for me with the Equinox in terms of being my favourite Federation vessel that isn't a main star. Same as with the Reliant, I'm a big fan of the ships made in this manner. That is, take the hero, and throw the nacelles and deflector underneath/on top of, the saucer. Would love to see a good version of this using the Sovereign class as a basis!

Just something I've been thinking about in terms of it being the only 'realistic' non-hero Federation ship they could make, and because it allows for some more conversation whilst we wait for the PR stars to align, and bring us the new ship announcements. I've a feeling that'll most likely happen about a month from now (comic-con), but I'd love to hear them earlier. :)

#25 DSTZach

DSTZach

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:54 PM

Back up a minute.

I think the Defiant could get me back into the ships line. To be honest, after the demise of the figures it took (and takes) way too long for DST to get new product out. So I guess I fall in line with a lot of consumers in that if there isn't something there to keep my attention it wanders elsewhere (one hates to admit to conformity, but it is what it is!). It was fun when there were always new figures to look forward to and kept you in the game more, as it were. I would buy all the variants of ships.. now I don't even remember if I got any BoP. I think the basic one..? 

You don't remember if you bought a $70 Klingon Bird of Prey electronic starship? :blink:

Figures died out because of low sales, and ships got held up due to factory issues. Factory issues are sorted out, so hopefully that won't be an issue going forward. The figure market is still soft. But we're spacing out our Selects, and hopefully we can get in the habit of putting out a few a year.

#26 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 03:30 PM

Hey Zach why not try a Legacy line of figures for Trek's 50th Anniversary, with some of the figures we all would love to see...Like Rand, Chapel, Tasha Yar, Guinan...

#27 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 03:30 PM

Hey Zach why not try a Legacy line of figures for Trek's 50th Anniversary, with some of the figures we all would love to see...Like Rand, Chapel, Tasha Yar, Guinan...

#28 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:13 PM

Was just thinking before about how they've made both the Enterprise-B, and Excelsior. Obviously both are very similar, but with some differences that would still require a different mould. Therefore, it'd be unusual not to see a Reliant pop up one day (even as one of the next two to be honest, as it's the last big ship from the TOS/TMP era).
However, it got me thinking, I wonder how hard it'd be (and by hard, I mean financially viable etc) to make a Nebula class? It shares so much with the Galaxy class, the only really 'new' part would be the equipment pod and its pylon (deflector issues aside!), of which they could make a few varieties - Phoenix vs all the rest with the triangular pod, Sutherland being the most likely. I'd honestly love a Nebula class, as it's on par for me with the Equinox in terms of being my favourite Federation vessel that isn't a main star. Same as with the Reliant, I'm a big fan of the ships made in this manner. That is, take the hero, and throw the nacelles and deflector underneath/on top of, the saucer. Would love to see a good version of this using the Sovereign class as a basis!

Just something I've been thinking about in terms of it being the only 'realistic' non-hero Federation ship they could make, and because it allows for some more conversation whilst we wait for the PR stars to align, and bring us the new ship announcements. I've a feeling that'll most likely happen about a month from now (comic-con), but I'd love to hear them earlier. :)

Hold up, hold up, hold up!

This is my main bone of contention with the Eaglemoss Nebula Class, it's based on the CGI version, which is just a kitbash of the Galaxy Class CGI model.

The physical Nebula Class model was made with some castings of the 4-foot Enterprise-D model, yes, but the secondary hull was entirely different, see here (warning, I have gone image-mad):

Q4niH.jpg
(Note: Under-slung Tactical Cheerful Guy Module is a Mission-Specific addon)

14shh.jpg

USS_Prometheus_ventral,_Second_Sight.jpg
^ Dumpy bumpy secondary hull

Now compare to the Galaxy Class secondary hull:
Galaxy_class_navigational_deflector.jpg
^ Sumptuous TNG-HD CGI Galaxy Class

galaxy_shuttle.jpg
^ Generations/DS9/Voyager CGI model, upon which the CG Nebula is based

255585bc-8fd8-46c9-9552-28bfd7982446.jpg
^ Six-foot "Swan" physical model (gargle gargle *drool*)

star-trek_generation_s4_sf4.jpg
^ Even CBS Digital's trojan work can't make the four-footer "bulldog" graceful...

Aaaaand the CGI Nebula class:
nebula2.jpg
^ Doesn't it look like it's going "Duuuuuuuuur."?

Right, sorry about that! I've gone a little mad. I do love Google Image Search.

Anyway, I think you see my point - I'd push as hard for any potential Nebula class to be modelled after the physical model, as you would any potential Defiant (with me right alongside you :D).

#29 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:57 PM

Oh yeah too right man. Honestly if they ever could, I'd snap a Nebula class up in a second. As you pointed out, they have the saucer and nacelles for it, so it'd just be a case of moulding the rear bit that consists of the pylons, onto a new drive section.

If they ever decide to make a Federation ship that isn't the star of one of the shows, then this is it. Still a lot more that are more worthy of being made first (Defiant, Voyager, Reliant - I'm treating the Alien ships as another category here by the way), but I'd definitely put the Nebula class ahead of some other choices such as the Oberth or Akira classes - not because of popularity (bear in mind, I'd love all these ships to be made), but simply because they do have the parts ready to go almost. :)

Regarding the 4-footer, I read somewhere ages ago that the reason the saucer is thicker, is to make Ten Forward's location 'work'. Insane if true in my opinion. Doesn't explain why the lovely, curvy drive section was changed, but still mad.

#30 tuvok47

tuvok47

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:57 PM

Consider it the Nebula class refit.

#31 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 03:43 PM

Oh, I do. I'm glad that the Eaglemoss ship is the Honshu, as that was a CG Neb for all of its screen time, IIRC.

Yeah, Ten-Forward was part of the motivation for the four-footer, but the main reason was that the Swan was huge and heavy, built to motion picture standards. That was fine for ILM, where the Pilot effects were shot, but the series' effects were shot at Image G, a much smaller outfit just around the corner from the Paramount lot.

The Ten-Forward thing was two-fold. Andrew Probert designed the saucer rim as one deck, with windows in the ceiling and floor, and the sensor array at about shoulder-height. For whatever reason, the Ten-Forward set was built without regard for that intention. To be honest, I like it the way it is, but when the four-footer was constructed, someone decided that thickening the rim was the way to go.
The second aspect is that the Ten Forward set has three groups of three windows, and is supposed to be right on the forward tip of the saucer, but the windows on the six-footer did not match that configuration, so the four-footer was again designed to reflect that.

You can see that difference here:
Galaxy_class_differences_between_the_4-f

As for why the secondary hull, deflector, and neck are so ugly... simply a time constraint. Compound curves take time to get right, particularly in the era before computers. Greg Jein, who had been involved at ILM with the construction of the Swan, was given very little time to produce the Bulldog.

The producers also felt that the Swan's minute and subtle surface detail was being lost at SD resolutions, and so they asked that Jein build upon that detailing by differing the elevation of various patterns on the aztec, producing the chunky texture that marks the Bulldog apart.

When the six-footer was refurbished for Generations, the window arrangement was changed on the forward saucer to match Ten-Forward.

Aaaaaanyway. Way off topic. Sorry.

#32 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:33 AM

Back up a minute.

You don't remember if you bought a $70 Klingon Bird of Prey electronic starship? :blink:

Figures died out because of low sales, and ships got held up due to factory issues. Factory issues are sorted out, so hopefully that won't be an issue going forward. The figure market is still soft. But we're spacing out our Selects, and hopefully we can get in the habit of putting out a few a year.

I've been saying for a year now I need to make a list of what I've got around, I can never remember what I do and don't have. And until we move, our house is too small to have much on display. I do know the only AA/DST figure I'm missing is that darned BluRay mail-away Sulu… ;)

I understand why the line came to an end, but I still miss it. And I did say I wasn't going to do the Selects… but I am. haha! Glad to hear the ships should be sailing more smoothly these days! I didn't know there were factory problems that held them up.

#33 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:23 AM

Every time you raid your place of ship-storage must be like mini-Christmas for you, Reverie!

#34 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:53 AM

Every time you raid your place of ship-storage must be like mini-Christmas for you, Reverie!

Haha- yes! I want to open more of my stuff, but it's just easier not to for storage. One day when I'm able to I probably won't want to open it for value or something. ;)

I did have a few more ships up but after the base for one crumbled and sent the Enterprise on a 7 foot free fall that broke a nacelle off. Since then I've been hesitant to display any ships until I have somewhere lower to the ground in case more stands break on their own.

#35 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:31 PM

Quick bump to this thread, rather than make a new one - question for Zach: Will we be finding out about the new ships at comic-con man (in other words, can we allow ourselves to get excited for next week!)? :)

#36 Stormfury_Echo

Stormfury_Echo

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:05 PM

If they don't show the new ship, I'm going to be bummed.

#37 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:57 PM

Same here man. If they're not being shown, I'd rather be told about it now. Also, if they were being shown, I'd have thought it'd be something to sing from the rooftops about... :/

#38 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:46 PM

Anything at all, Zach? 

#39 Javabean

Javabean

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:53 PM

Just tell us how many new ships will do ☺

#40 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:54 AM

Preview night, and no sign of Trek at all (unless I'm blind!):

http://toynewsi.com/...tart=0&sl=22990

Got to be honest, I'd be gutted if we don't find out what the new ships are (or at least one of them). lol :/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users