TOS Enterprise bridge scratch build for AA/DST figures

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Atlanthia

Atlanthia

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:Model making, songwriting, DIY, general tinkering and not ever being able to just leave something the way it is!

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:31 PM

I recently started to build The Original Series Enterprise bridge in 1/10 scale, to display my 7 inch Art Asylum/Diamond Select figures. This would be to supercede the 1/19 scale bridge that I already built to display my 3.75 inch figures.
Here are two quick pictures of that first build:

20120222_123758.jpg
20120222_023707.jpg

There were several aspects of that first, smaller build that I was not happy about, such as the lack of lighting, and general inaccuracies that I wanted to improve upon, coupled with the fact that it was built from card and paper. So, because I am still involved with building my 52" Eagle Transporter, I thought I would just build one Bridge console section from Styrene Sheet, and see if I could iron out some of those "issues". The idea was that if I was successful, it would stand up as an individual display piece in its own right, or, if I was so inclined, I could gradually add to it, section by section, when time permitted. I decided on Lt. Uhura's station as, that is the position that the command podium would spur off from.
So, anyway, here are a few progress pics and, I promise you, no more waffle from me!

Untitled-5.jpg
Untitled-6.jpg
Untitled-7.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg
Untitled-3.jpg

I still have to make the chair and finish off the sides, as well as attach the front of the walkway edge strip etc.
The model is in Styrene sheet and styrene/foam board, and the flooring is dark grey 2mm craft foam.
Thank you for looking in and I will post again soon with the finished article...

#2 Atlanthia

Atlanthia

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:Model making, songwriting, DIY, general tinkering and not ever being able to just leave something the way it is!

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:35 PM

I started constructing what I hope will be a realistic Burke Chair. If this works out, I will be casting and moulding it so that I only have to actually construct one.

Untitled-10.jpg
Untitled-12.jpg
Untitled-13.jpg
Untitled-8.jpg
Untitled-9.jpg

The actual chair that I am trying to emulate.

Untitled.jpg
Untitled-14.jpg

The chair stand and feet are made from the nibs of disposable propelling pencils. The post, from two nibs glued end to end, and the feet, from two nibs cut down the middle lengthways.

Untitled-11.jpg
Thank you for looking in!

#3 Atlanthia

Atlanthia

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:37 PM

I'm pretty happy with the slight angle on these as The benefit is that the chair actually swivels. I have also inadvertantly fitted a height adjuster to the seat. The pencil and the nib both screw onto the same threadblock, so i simply cut off the pencil end, and glued the nib end to the chair bottom. The chair stand now simply screws onto the chair bottom and as it screws down, the chair gets lower or higher.

Untitled-21.jpg
Untitled-19.jpg
Untitled-18.jpg
Untitled-17.jpg
Untitled-20.jpg

#4 Atlanthia

Atlanthia

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:39 PM

Well, I have managed to pretty much finish the Burke Chair and all that remains now is to tidy up any general imperfections on the model, fill and paint the sides, and cut and glue the carpet into position.
Untitled-22.jpg
Untitled-38.jpg
Untitled-35.jpg

And that should have been an end to it................ but I started to build the captain's chair, just to see what it would look like.

I had to boil up the styrene rods to get them to bend to make the curve in the chair back.
Untitled-33.jpg
Untitled-32.jpg
Untitled-24.jpg
Untitled-27.jpg
I cut 3mm from the height of the circular swivel under the seat, so that Kirk's feet can now easily reach the floor.
Untitled-30.jpg

#5 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:40 PM

Wow thats looking good.

#6 Atlanthia

Atlanthia

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:41 PM

Many thanks, Qcjoe! Glad you like it!
Well, I have made a little progress with the chair. I have filled it and sanded it as much as I can and I have painted it up and started to make the panels for the arms.
Untitled-42.jpg
Untitled-41.jpg
Untitled-40.jpg
I still need to tidy up the paint in places, but I will wait until all the other bits are finished. I am in two minds about cutting and glueing on a piece of felt to imitate the carpet that they put on the pedastal in later episodes, or just paint it up to match the sides. I will post the finished thing as soon as its done.

#7 Atlanthia

Atlanthia

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:43 PM

A little progress made.
I have managed to pretty much bash out Spock's station. lots to still do though, such as the bottom front edge of the walkway, paint the inside of the carcass with two coats of black, install lights etc... but at least I think its going in the right direction...

Untitled-36.jpgUntitled-23.jpg
Untitled-45.jpg
Untitled-46.jpg
Untitled-39.jpg
Untitled-43.jpg
I started experimenting a little with the best way to illuminate Spock's Sensor Shroud. I am thinking, at this stage, it will be underlit through blue acetate, and the inside of the sensor shroud will be covered in foil backed card. That should maximise the light and give a nice blue glow on the ceiling above his station.
Untitled-47.jpg

#8 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:44 PM

Nice work!

#9 Atlanthia

Atlanthia

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:47 PM

Thanks, Commodore! Much appreciated!

I have decided to remove all the monitor screens, (eight per station) and redo them. they leak too much light and I am going to try to emulate the flashing lights from the original studio set. Hopefully, they will look much better than they do now.
More soonon that.....
I have managed to construct the main structure of the turbolift entrance. It is strange, but since my good friend LMFAOSchwarz introduced me to the wonders of styrene, The level of "clean building" that can be achieved, never ceases to amaze me. It also means take a lot longer to get right, such as filling and sanding joints etc, but that is fine with me because the end results are stupendous compared to working with card, which cannot be sanded....

Anyway, here are the pics of the construction:
d40e4b07-e8d6-421a-b447-c45385b2bd6c_zps
20130531_204821_zpsaf445868.jpg
20130531_231314_zpse7cc030c.jpg
20130601_000129_zps3e2f825b.jpg
20130615_222757_zpsf56e014f.jpg

I have also constructed the overhead lighting panel but no pics of that yet.

#10 Atlanthia

Atlanthia

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:50 PM

Managed to find a little time to build Sulu's targeting scanner. It is built to the exact dimensions on the McMaster plans but it seems a little smaller than it should be.
20130614_093807_zpsb440edac.jpg
20130614_093837_zpsebbcdd7d.jpg
This has inadvertantly worked to my advantage though as it is small enough that I have decided to make it actually retract into the helm console as per the original in the TV series. I know it should fold in the middle but, Hey! I'm only human! LOL!
Here is a pic of the hinge extension I added to make the whole thing work:20130614_151956_zps90d61b59.jpg
I then edged and bordered the command podium and after filling and sanding, I sprayed it up....
20130621_205958_zps2ec8b32a.jpg
Then cut and fitted the grey carpet...
20130621_210107_zps52b95087.jpg
And finally, the helm and command chair. I will not glue the carpet into place until everything else is finished and painted and in position.
20130621_210401_zps847f16cc.jpg
20130621_210524_zps3bd7d82c.jpg
I think it is really starting to take shape now.
20130617_135308_zpsb4203b5a.jpg

#11 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:59 PM

I don't collect figures, but THAT'S amazing. :)

#12 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Music, acting, theatre, film, arts in General

Check out my band: www.facebook.com/eastportslackers

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:27 AM

I'm speechless!

#13 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:42 AM

This guy... He's good!

I'm guessing these posts weren't made in real time? All this work inside of 20 minutes would be just a little super-human!

Hell, no matter how long it took you, it's amazing!

Makes me wish you were interested in some of the spin-offs!!

#14 Atlanthia

Atlanthia

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:20 AM

!

This guy... He's good!
I'm guessing these posts weren't made in real time? All this work inside of 20 minutes would be just a little super-human!
Hell, no matter how long it took you, it's amazing!
Makes me wish you were interested in some of the spin-offs!!

Thanks to you, gents :) No this is a super quick "bring you all up to speed" thread that I can now continue at real time pace.

Destructor, I love anything and everything Star Trek. My grail is to build all the five Bridges from each of the series, and stack them into a multi storey. I'd would like to orientate them so that the turbo lifts sit directly above each other.......calm down, Darren.........

#15 data_2006

data_2006

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:16 PM

amazing!

#16 VorlonKosh

VorlonKosh

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:19 PM

Can I be your best friend?  I wish I had this kind of talent!

#17 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:31 PM

Okay.... I dont want to get ridiculous but I honestly only have one word: Epic !

There is some serious engineering going on here....

Congrats on some stunning work.

#18 Atlanthia

Atlanthia

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:05 AM

Well, now I am the one who is stunned!!! Thank you so very much for your kind words; I very much appreciate them. :)

#19 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:56 AM

Ahhh, my mistake, I had you confused with the other new recruit in the introductions section.

I admire your ambition - you obviously have the skill and dedication to make a go of it!

Mind if I ask how long you've been working on this one? It'll help me feel slightly less inferior... Maybe :P

#20 Atlanthia

Atlanthia

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:04 AM

No problem. This represents about five months of work, on and off, I would be a lot further along if I could sort out the lighting, myself but when you are reliant on someone else.....well.....you can fill in the blanks, I'm sure!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users