• Please log in to reply
1901 replies to this topic

#841 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:44 AM

The fact that they even have to say all is going well tells you all you need to know. If everything is going well that wouldn't even be a question. They fired their showrunner and delayed the premier date to a TBD time. Now for all we know something really great could rise out of those ashes and we could all look back and say it all happened for the best. I'm going to try to stay cautiously optimistic, at least for now.

#842 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:21 PM

In all fairness, I'm sure CBS is aware of all the incessant negativity online so of course they're going to address concerns.

The beautiful thing about shows like this is that they can premiere when they're ready instead of being rushed to meet a specific date or season. It's pretty rare that a show so early in development can lose a showrunner without moving the production back.

#843 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:44 PM

Have you guys checked out the couple fan art pictures @theirishtrekkie posted of Discovery?

I think it makes the design look pretty decent.
zZnBwJR.jpg

lwCNgBQ.jpg

Je4IqHQ.jpg

CBS really needs to release an official, fully rendered, properly lit shot of Discovery.

#844 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:08 PM

I love the ship, I think it fits into the timeline because not all ships need to look like the Enterprise just as not all current present day naval/space ships look like the Enterprise.

Sure maybe replace the blue deflector dish with a brown satellite dish but other than that, I'm in.

CBS need to just get a fucking grip over this series and release it.

#845 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:58 AM

I don't have a problem with the navigational deflector.

I know the first time we saw one was on the Enterprise but it stands to reason that Starfleet isn't going to put untried tech onto their flagship unless it's gone through significant development.

There's also the tried and true motto, "If it isn't broken, don't fix it," which is something I can see Scotty subscribing to.

#846 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:06 AM

Could Star Trek: Discovery incorporate the TOS cast through CGI?

We saw our DS9 crew interact with the TOS crew back in 1996 and now with the advancement in CGI through films like Rogue One, could Star Trek: Discovery incorporate CGI versions of Shatner's Kirk, Nimoy's Spock et al as part of the story to Discovery?

#847 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Music, acting, theatre, film, arts in General

Check out my band: www.facebook.com/eastportslackers

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:59 AM

I hope they won't do that. As good as it looked in Rogue One (and it wasn't perfect), on a smaller budget it wouldn't look half as believable. And why would they recast Sarek, if they had the CGI option to "bring back" Mark Lenard?

#848 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:41 PM

If they bring in TOS characters, which would be a surprise, I'd prefer them use the movie actors.

The only character I'd expect to see at some point in the series is Spock, and maybe Pike. I'd be fine with Quinta and Greenwood reprising their roles.

#849 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:36 AM

Heck, they could just CGI the entire TOS cast and pick up where they left off! CGI the sets too... then the only thing left to discuss is the writing :-)

#850 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:23 AM

I'm all for an animated Trek series. 

#851 richpit

richpit

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek toys, Star Trek props, Star Trek stuff in general!

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:07 PM

I'm all for an animated Trek series. 

Definitely!  I've been on board with this idea for years!  Star Wars has proven that it's a successful (and profitable) medium. 

#852 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 06:08 PM

If they went the Animated route then I'd want a show that was based upon the current Boldly Go comic series, a series that wasn't confined to the Kelvin timeline but could hop between prime and kelvin. There's such a rich IDW Comic book universe to use for a decent animated series.

#853 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 06:10 AM

According to a new article on www.trekmovie.com, head of CBS Les Moonves revealed that Discovery will be released early fall AND more noteworthy is that Netflix, who have bought the series for the rest of the world to watch, have been producing partners on Discovery!

#854 Morgan

Morgan

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 05:02 PM

I'm hoping that by the time the series airs they will have become more realistic about this All Access thing, because denying Netflix access to US audiences and baiting them with this additional service is, in the long run, the kind of thing that will sour the series to potential audiences and will only force people to seek workarounds via intl release platforms. There's a downside to not sharing it with Netflix stateside that I hope the studio sees: no matter the cost of this streaming service some people just won't commit to an extra service, but if Netflix wants a big chunk of change for it they'll pay up just because they already have Netflix. No matter the income level -- everyone can "afford" it -- but there's only so much time people have to mess around with that. If it's not easily obtainable via an existing platform, people will ignore the best series out there and wait for the DVD to come out.

I hope they stay away from gratuitously bumping into TOS characters. That's a slippery slope, and I'm glad ENT stayed away from those plots for as long as did.

#855 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 06:18 PM

I think the fact that Netflix are involved in producing Star Trek is a great thing.

Ultimately I think CBS are taking a huge gamble but one that is win win. If you're a fan you subscribe for 13 weeks and then cancel your subscription. If All Access bombs then Star Trek moves to Netflix US for season 2.

Seems like they are saying all of the right things. They need the established Star Trek fan base to love this show because the fans of Trek will be the only ones signing up to All Access to watch it.

A non fan isn't going to be remotely interested in signing up to a new streaming service for a series they have no interest in. So CBS will be relying on already fans of Star Trek to sign up whilst hoping already subscribers of All Access due to other shows they have showing will tune in.

It does seem like a massive risk with their "crown jewel" - had I been Les Moonves I'd have partnered with Netflix and got them to produce and create the show (which is what I think will happen in the long run).

As for bumping into TOS? I think we're going to get a series that flows into that aesthetic eventually. We've only ever seen 79 hours of the TOS world and a small fraction of the universe that the Enterprise was exploring, so there's a lot of opportunity there to create new aliens, different races of established aliens like the Klingons etc.. whilst remaining in that TOS aesthetic (albeit with better production values). Im thinking back to how Rogue One approached it and while that was very much in the Star Wars aesthetic, it did create new worlds, aliens and vehicles.

#856 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 12:23 PM

I am a huge Star Trek fan and love all of the shows and movies. I don't do cable and am subscribed to several of the big streaming services. However... I have absolutely no interest in signing up and paying for yet another service just to be able to watch this show. CBS really needs to pull their heads out if their asses and learn to play nice with the existing services like other networks. There is no reason for them to do their own service and not partner with Hulu, Netflix or Amazon prime, to broadcast this show other than greed and bad management.

#857 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 03:30 PM

Eventually, they will make it available elsewhere.  This reminds me of the net browser wars. Even with Netscape, MS and other big players of the time, there were still lots of Johnny come-latelies... several big corporations that wanted "in" and basically thought they could just spend their way in w/o a real plan. 

CBS all access kinda smacks of that... they have a (sizable) catalog and they think people will pay a premium for just their catalog... but I think people see it as a something they might "add on" to a going service... and thats where they could make money... basically royalties to access their catalog... I'd pay for that... like the "channels" Amazon or Netflix offers.

#858 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 04:19 AM

The question you face is; are you a Star Trek fan or WERE you a Star Trek fan?

I'm a Star Trek fan and being a Star Trek fan I would absolutely sign up to All Access to watch a new Star Trek show, because I'm a fan of Star Trek right this very moment.

To play devils advocate though, I can see that after 11 years where all we've gotten is three devicive movies that have not done much to enhance the fan experience, would have turned any die hard Star Trek fan off of the franchise.

It's going to take a lot to bring fans back. I can only surmise that those who were fans will sign up after seeing the first episode on CBS, those who were fans will never sign up because after 11 years of what they feel is just crap, they've moved on, or those who were fans will say one thing and sign up anyway because, who's going to know.

#859 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 11:29 AM

I really don't think it's fair to say if you're a Star Trek fan, then you'll subscribe to All Access to watch the show, and if you don't you're not one.

I'm definitely a fan, but am still very undecided on whether I'll subscribe or not.

#860 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 01:56 PM

I'm a patient fan.

I'll sign up after all the episodes are released and binge-watch it for a month. I just don't see myself continuing the subscription any longer than that unless my wife or I discover more original content that compels us to do so. Thirteen new episodes of Star Trek alone isn't worth it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: star, trek, cbs, 2017, series

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users