1053 replies to this topic

#41 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:42 PM

http://toynewsi.com/...12&itemid=19069

We first told you about these the other week, but now DST has released new images and info on their new Star Trek Select line.

For years, Star Trek fans have repeatedly opened hailing frequencies, demanding the return of 7-inch Star Trek figures -- well, Diamond Select has heard their transmissions! This winter, DST plans to release the first in a line of Star Trek Select figures, depicting iconic characters from across the Star Trek universe in the 7-inch scale fans have asked for. Each figure will come in DST's famous Select packaging, and will include a diorama-style display base as well as interchangeable parts to recreate scenes using that diorama. And the first release in the line is the most iconic Star Trek character of all, Mr. Spock!

Depicting Mr. Spock as he appears in the classic episode "Devil in the Dark," this figure includes a cave diorama with a Horta alien -- the first Horta toy ever made! Spock himself will have interchangeable legs for standing or crouching poses, and interchangeable hands to hold a phaser or establish a mental link with the Horta. He even comes with an alternate screaming head! The figure will be available in early 2013, and will be followed by James T. Kirk, as well as numerous other important and fan-requested characters from the Star Trek diaspora. The Marvel Select line celebrated its 10th anniversary this year, so here's to ten years of Trek Select!

Beam aboard this new Star Trek toy line today and pre-order Mr. Spock at your local comic shop, or your favorite online retailer!

Once again, not sure if I'd buy these. We'll see.

#42 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:05 PM

4 more points of articulation on the standing pose and this would be a done deal for me. As of now Im still with you Art.

#43 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:03 PM

Screaming head is a nice touch. Still hoping the Horta is removable (couldn't tell). More than anything I need to know who comes after Kirk to decide if I'm interested. But I may consider the Spock/Horta combo...

#44 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:10 AM

Im in. The marvel select line is great and I think this is a great way to move forward with the trek license. Spock is preordered. Something I have not done from DST in years.

#45 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:14 PM

That Horta is awfully small. I like Action figures better that statues and i am not even buying them like i use to either. What i see is playability or posability going away and more statues taking there place. I might buy some of the EMCE Mirror Spocks, but i just cant see laying out tons of money for a $3000 lifesize Spock figure or even $300 for another 1/4 scale Spock statue. I wish there was a company that would make Star Trek toys again, real toys , not just collectors items.

#46 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:46 AM

Im also curious to see how much taller the STS Spock is compared to the AA Spock. In the Facebook thread, DST stated that its going to be the 7" scale compatible with the TNG line.

#47 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:25 PM

I don't think I'm in for Kirk or Spock, but If they give us a seven of nine or a Janeway, I'll pick the line up at that point. I know they are saying this is "Fan demanded return to trek figures", but I can't help thinking he Kirk and Spock are more for retailers than for fans. I hope they sell well, so the line will put out characters I want!

#48 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:01 PM

Im with you on that Goth. Im of the mindset that this is a pick and choose line for me. If they release that Kirk in that silly pose it will be a pass. Its sad because I not only bought up every figure they offered but also bought many by the case or sometimes even more. Im no longer of the mindset that by me supporting the line will I get the figures I ultimately want.

#49 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:40 PM

The more I think about it, I DO think Kirk and Spock are for the retailer as well as fans. The true test will be if the next figure is from TNG or Voyager. I'll get Spock, probably...and if nothing else hopefully I can separate the Horta. But Kirk will only happen once I know what the third figure is. If we're lucky, the third figure will be one of the following: Captain Janeway, Lt. Com. Data (Season One), Seven of Nine. I am also intrigued to see what they do with the Khan with Kirk. Very curious. I vote for season one in TNG because we have Picard and Riker only from that season, we're near enough to the 25th Anniversary that it's appropriate, and if we do get a full crew, we could get a Yar, Season One Beverly, Rainbow Wesley, and a "bun" Troi...the latter three have never been done before. Plus...there are easy Season Two variant upgrades that, if they can swing it, would probably sell well. (Worf, LaForge, Troi...) But I digress. Long story short...I look forward to seeing what's next on the list.

#50 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:49 PM

Yeah, Spock is tempting but Kirk is a definite pass, the Enterprise set piece would be the only reason why I'd want to pick him up. I think they should stick to balancing the figures out between action poses and basic poses, which it looks like they already perfected with Spock.

Kirk just seems like he'd look ridiculous if you tried to give his arms less of an extreme pose.

#51 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:12 AM

Obviously this is an attempt to start again and do things the DST way rather than the Art Asylum way. DST never really put their stamp on the Star Trek action figures until now. I think it's a good idea. I've sold all my old Star Trek figures so I'm not sure I really want to collect another line. I do really hope these sell and work out but If I did commit to this line it would be on the understanding that we would get at least characters from TNG. Like their Marvel Select figures and like the Universal Monsters Select figures, it's great to see Star Trek being brought in line with those series in terms of packaging and the emphasis on sculpt and detail over articulation.

I'm also going to wait and see what Kirk looks like - the art really didn't do the spock figure justice so it will be interesting to see what direction Kirk and Khan take. I'd be hoping we'd see if Kirk and Spock are successful: McCoy, Picard, Data, Worf, Movie Khan, Uhura & Scotty, Sisko, Janeway, 7of9 and The Borg Queen.

#52 The_Donster

The_Donster

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:47 PM

Actually you'd be wrong 1701. I'm not coming down on you, but this is actually a old idea that AA had. Anyone who was a member of the old AACC can tell you this. This was something they showed us way back when. The only thing that is DST is it being a Select line and the larger scale. This is a old idea with new packaging. Don't count on the Horta being removable either. Seems that DST bases aren't. I like them enough and will check with my lcbs to see if they are going to carry them. If not, I'll wait until they hit shelves there or at TRU. Still, I hope the Horta can be increased in size with overcoming the base and the figure.

#53 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:58 PM

QUOTE (1701 @ Aug 27 2012, 07:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DST never really put their stamp on the Star Trek action figures until now.

WHAT?! My collection seems to say otherwise...

#54 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:29 PM

Yeah I remember AA having that idea a looooong time ago. And before that, Ertel has a similar idea.

Nothing new under the sun.

#55 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Aug 27 2012, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WHAT?! My collection seems to say otherwise...

Yeah. Mine too. I actually have more figures produced by DST then AA. Wether we like it or not DST did try and change the marketing approach of the Trek line once they got it. I felt that as soon as they took it over. They changed from a wave of 4-5 figures to trying to do two-three figures with many variants. I'd say DST put their unique mark on the line. For good or worse!

#56 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:49 PM

A video of the Kirk/Khan diorama is up on Facebook.

#57 The_Donster

The_Donster

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:13 PM

Cooler than I expected. I'll check with my lcbs and see if they are ordering it.

#58 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:13 AM

too much statue not enough toy. Even if the legs are interchangeable with spock...the upper torso is still too posed to get anything close to a "traditional" pose out of it. The only thing that intrigues me about this set is the engineering piece which looks pretty sweet.

#59 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:17 AM

On a second look it seems as if the pipe holding kirk may have enough articulation at the arm/elbow to get a more traditional pose. Can you guys tell any better?

#60 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:31 AM

These look more like DST's Universal Monster Select line than Marvel Select which is still cool and since there are so many traditional action figures out there of Kirk and Spock (and the rest) then it's nice to have something that contains some articulation but is more about the sculpt, detail and the scene that the figures depict, Just hope the sculpt is a good likeness to, Nimoy, Shatner and Montalban.

I'm hoping these will be successful, I'd quite like to see Picard, Data and Worf and McCoy (with Salt Vampire in McCoy's quarters scene from "The Man Trap")

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users