5 replies to this topic

#1 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 02:25 PM

I went and saw Doctor Strange today.

Benedict Cumberbatch was Magical - pun intended! I absolutely thought he was perfectly cast and played the part well!

I was a bit luke warm to Tilda Swinton as the ancient one, but she delivered a solid performance. In fact the entire cats was more than solid, and really delivered IMO.

I noted that there were several action scenes that reminded me very much of Inception, and when looking at the reviews... I noted a couple of critics really panned Doctor Strange... much of their complaint seemed related to the inception like action sequences... and sure enough those same critics panned inception, so at least they are consistent! I guess if you don't like inception... then maybe you should pass... but if you like the Marvel Universe... that would be a waste IMO.

One of my go-to Critics summarizes by saying:

Although the comic book tropes are all in place, the acting, tone, and visual effects keep them from becoming tedious. This is yet another solid building block in the foundation to Marvel’s ever-expanding superhero fortress.

I agree! I thoroughly Enjoyed Doctor Strange... and the inter-credits scene was especially fun!

Also... I noted that the movie has allready opened in a number of foreign markets... and while the 2 day take is strong... with the foreign income... the move has apparently already matched its production budget... now it just needs to double that to make the studio money!

#2 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 06 November 2016 - 05:04 PM

We liked it until the movie broke half way through it. Now we got to wait for home video to see how it ends.

#3 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 06:50 PM

I really enjoyed it. It was a solid origin story and another great addition to the Marvel Universe.

#4 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 07:17 PM

We liked it until the movie broke half way through it. Now we got to wait for home video to see how it ends.

They didn't refund or give you a pass to see the entire movie???

On a financial note... it looks like the final weekend tally world wide is >325 Mil! Assuring it will be profitable!

#5 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 10:28 PM

Saw it this evening. Pretty good. Kinda forgettable - or it would be if not for the visuals. A very silly premise played straight that ultimately comes off well for it. That in itself is an achievement.

I forgot to stick around for the credits scenes. Bugger.

Anyway, yeah - I think the best way to describe this movie is a very Irish "Ah, it was grand." That roughly means "most satisfactory". So, not a classic by any means, but an entertainingly solid film with perhaps too little mind-bending.

#6 richpit

richpit

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek toys, Star Trek props, Star Trek stuff in general!

Posted 22 November 2016 - 06:35 PM

I saw it on Friday night and really liked it.  I don't think it's the best of the MCU movies, for sure, but it was really good.  

Cumberbatch is a dead ringer for Stephen Strange and did a really good job in the role.  I think he's a phenomenal actor. 

Very much worth seeing, in my opinion.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users