• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Damon1984

Damon1984

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:38 PM

After building the Bridge of the Enterprise-D I wanted to try something more... daring. After all, there was already an official playset for the D-Bridge. I also saw lots of TOS-Bridge Builds - all way better than anything I could have done. What I have never seen, however, was an attempt at the ops from Deep Space Nine. Now I know why, lol. That thing is big! And the design is not especially photogenic. Wide high-angle shots are pretty much impossible and there is just not a whole lot going on. Still, here is my attempt, again mostly done out of card and paper:

custom_ops_playset_by_damon1984-dbgtadq.

With this one I made a making of (and had a whole lot of fun doing it :D):

ops_playset___making_of_by_damon1984-db7

#2 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:33 PM

Wow! So cool! That’s the playset I want most for the Playmates line!

#3 WORF22

WORF22

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:57 PM

well done sir.. 

#4 Morgan

Morgan

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:04 PM

Very cool and very detailed, nice lighting once again. Ever since Playmates announced this thing back in the day (and then backed off those plans quite quickly) I wondered how they would have handled detail and scaling issues.

By the way, if you ever think of switching materials, there are soft plastics out there that can be cut with heavy-duty wirecutter-type scissors. They're just a few microns thicker than credit cards, basically and they can be superglued and painted. Even plastics of that thickness can be cut with regular scissors, with some effort, but if you have heavy-duty scissors that'll cut through metal sheeting you're set.

I'm not surprised Playmates didn't produce it for a variety of reasons: the transporter playset was quite poorly received and Playmates complained about having tens of thousands of unsold playsets in their warehouse, plus the price & shelf space would have made this difficult for stores to justify. All the retailers at the time wanted peggable items so stuff like the bridge playset, (something like 80 percent of all trek stuff was bought by collectors) was an extravagance for stores to actually stock.

I think if they had produced Ops it would have been awfully scaled down, like the bridge, and the thing would have been like at least $45.00 in stores. Adjusted for inflation to 2018, that's basically unbuyable unless you're a scalper or an adult. But hey, Kenner had electronic AT-ATs that were priced at, like, $79.00 new in the late 90s?

#5 Damon1984

Damon1984

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 09:56 AM

Thanks. Both of you :)

Ever since Playmates announced this thing back in the day (and then backed off those plans quite quickly) I wondered how they would have handled detail and scaling issues.

I'm not surprised Playmates didn't produce it for a variety of reasons: the transporter playset was quite poorly received and Playmates complained about having tens of thousands of unsold playsets in their warehouse, plus the price & shelf space would have made this difficult for stores to justify. All the retailers at the time wanted peggable items so stuff like the bridge playset, (something like 80 percent of all trek stuff was bought by collectors) was an extravagance for stores to actually stock.

Considering what they did with the Transporter and Engineering playsets, I have a feeling the Playmates-Ops would have just entailed a Situation-Table, maybe Dax's station, a couple of steps and a light column (because kids need lights... and sounds *rolleyes*). Don't know. The Enterprise-D-Bridge was great. But everything that came after it was a bit of a letdown. It's a shame actually. The possibilities were endless. I would have loved to see a ready room or the conference lounge. (I'm still amazed we got all those desktop-computers with the figures. And not a single desk :P). Then again, self do, self have. :)

By the way, if you ever think of switching materials, there are soft plastics out there that can be cut with heavy-duty wirecutter-type scissors. They're just a few microns thicker than credit cards, basically and they can be superglued and painted. Even plastics of that thickness can be cut with regular scissors, with some effort, but if you have heavy-duty scissors that'll cut through metal sheeting you're set.

I think I know what you mean. Daysleeper works with the same material and the results look great. I have no idea how to paint stuff, but there's a first for everything, right? :)

#6 Andy

Andy

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 03:11 PM

This is the most impressive thing I've ever seen! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users