• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 anti-hero

anti-hero

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:28 PM

I'm thinking of starting to collect TNG again and am wondering about the Nemesis figures. Do the Picard and Data from the Nemesis line fit in with the later DST Nemesis figs? How does their artic compare? Is there a gallery of them all together, or can someone post a pic?

#2 Nigel

Nigel

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:43 PM

The original Art Asylum Nemesis Picard and Data figures do look significantly different than the later ones that were released under DST. The body sculpt and shade of grey on the uniforms make them look different. They did release a First Contact Data figure but you might have a hard time finding one of them and the Nemesis LaForge figure as they were limited release if I'm not mistaken.

#3 A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:48 PM

If you're asking for my personal opinion, they do look different enough to me not to work very well with the other figures. The Nem line is made from actual scans of the actors, so the sculpts look much, much better though the paint job on Picard is .... not the best. They are the only figures with zipper lines running down the center of the outer jacket. They also have a different shade of grey on the shoulders, and their posture is different. They seem to slouch a bit compared to the other figures. Also, if you plan on displaying any other Datas with them (like the S7 version) be prepared for a much different coloration of the "flesh" tone.

As far as Picard and Data are concerned, I think your best bet is to customize your own Picard (there are several examples of customs on the board), and find a First Contact Data.

#4 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:21 PM

Well, fortunately there is something of an alternative to hunting down FC Data now. Just take a DS9 wave 2 O'Brien and a TNG Data and swap their head and hands. Granted, you don't get the fun extra parts that FC Data had, but it's better than paying out the wazoo for it.

Better quality, too, I think. Haven't heard of anyone having limb-snapping problems with O'Brien.

#5 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:32 PM

Ugh. This is why I just can't get into these. I wanted to collect a set of Nemesis/First Contact era figures but LaForge is really expensive and now I hear the Picard and Data that are readily available on Ebay don't really fit with the rest of the line. Kind of bums me out to be honest. I wish they could re-release a full set in two-packs like the TOS waves. I plan to start collecting those just because of that reason.

#6 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:23 AM

If they re-released Data and Geordi collectors would be mad at the fact that they went and spent all this money on the single figures when they could have waited for the two packs....I doubt they will do that anyways cuz they were released like 2 years ago, not 6 like the TOS.

#7 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:08 AM

I dunno if collectors would be all that upset, especially if they were better quality. The best way to do it of course would be with something that you didn't get with the previous figure, making it more than just a rerelease. It would also be beneficial for DST because apparently Data sells.

#8 Thomas E. Johnson

Thomas E. Johnson

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:38 AM

I made a Nemesis Picard by swapping the torso and arms of a DS9 Season 7 Sisko onto a First Contact Picard Legs&hips, and using the FC Picard head on it. It looks really good. spock2.gif

#9 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:39 AM

I have to agree with the basic sentiment that the early AA Nemesis figures don't display well with DST's Nemesis figures. I think the Shinzon and Viceroy are fine. The original movie line really only had Picard & Data, and I don't mind displaying a FC Picard (which is also still readily available for a decent price) and my FC Data with rest of the crew.

As other have said Data & Geordi will be the two most difficult to track down at this point. But when they were released they were readily available for some time!

Geordi may be the hardest one to find, but I doubt it would be impossible.

#10 Mason

Mason

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Collecting Action Figures, Collecting DVD's

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:10 AM

The DST FC Picard and Data look much better than the AA NEM ones when standing alongside the others in my opinion. smile.gif

#11 anti-hero

anti-hero

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:12 AM

Hmm...interesting. Can someone link or post a pic of Nemesis Picard with a DST Nemesis figure? Are there any dst figures of the same body style that would be an easy swap of head and hands?

#12 Hirogen

Hirogen

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:50 AM

QUOTE (anti-hero @ Apr 29 2009, 06:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmm...interesting. Can someone link or post a pic of Nemesis Picard with a DST Nemesis figure? Are there any dst figures of the same body style that would be an easy swap of head and hands?

Here is my Trek display for the moment. The Nemesis and FC figures are in the right hand area.

I just display them together. I think they look fine, but to each his own.

#13 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:59 AM

I have a First Contact Picard figure. It's the only DST figure I own. So he'd be fine as my Picard. Data I can handle. LaForge is just the big hang-up. He's available but I don't really want to pay $35 for him. I know a re-release is extremely unlikely... so it just means I probably won't start getting them. To me making certain crew members rare makes it extremely hard for someone who wants to collect them casually to get into them.

#14 anti-hero

anti-hero

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:53 AM

QUOTE (Hirogen @ Apr 29 2009, 08:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here is my Trek display for the moment. The Nemesis and FC figures are in the right hand area.

I just display them together. I think they look fine, but to each his own.

Hmm...don't know if the sculpts would bother me, but the coloring definitely does.

QUOTE (Thomas E. Johnson @ Apr 29 2009, 03:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I made a Nemesis Picard by swapping the torso and arms of a DS9 Season 7 Sisko onto a First Contact Picard Legs&hips, and using the FC Picard head on it. It looks really good. spock2.gif

Got a pic?

#15 anti-hero

anti-hero

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:47 PM

Anyone think just swapping picard's hands and head on a series 1 Sisko would work? I can't tell for sure from the pic above but they look to be about the same height.

#16 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:25 PM

Well, I had some extra bits and threw this together just to see...

The head pegs/holes are different sizes, so you have to dremmel out the Picard head to fit on the Sisko Peg... or use some apooxie to fill & re-drill the torso hole...

So it's not just a simple boil pop & swap.

#17 Thomas E. Johnson

Thomas E. Johnson

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:03 PM

Also using the Sisko legs & hips he ends up being shorter than the other DST Picard's and out of scale. It isn't a boil & Pop operation as was said. The peg on the FC Picard hips is to slim to fit into the hole on the Sisko Torso. The peg needs to be wrapped with electrical tape until it fits snugly into the hole. And also as was mentioned, some dremel work on the neck socket is needed to get the Picard head to fit properly. The work is worth it though, as it makes for a really nice custom of Picard in his standard duty uniform, and still has him in scale with all of the other DST Picard figures. Using the Sisko torso also makes it look like Picard has slimmed down a bit in his chest, due to being 10 years older, and in Nemesis, he did look like he had lost body mass. spock2.gif

#18 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:04 PM

Though I think it looks fine, the head is oversized for that body.

#19 anti-hero

anti-hero

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:21 PM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Apr 29 2009, 09:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Though I think it looks fine, the head is oversized for that body.

Wow, thanks for trying that out! Hmm...well i think that actually looks pretty good. To me all the DST Picards are too big (especially too wide) to begin with so if this one's a little smaller that's actually a plus. Hey Goth...could I trouble you for a pic of that kitbashed Picard with another Nemesis figure or 2?

#20 Thomas E. Johnson

Thomas E. Johnson

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 01:37 AM

I took a picture of my custom Picard next to the FC Picard, but I'm having trouble uploading to my computer so I can post it. mad.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users