Photo

What scale of figures from the new movie will you be collecting and why?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek: The Original Series <br />Graphic Design <br />Star Trek 2009 <br />Model Making <br /><br />

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:54 AM

I've been thinking about this, but i've settled on the 3.74 inch, the reason being is that i think companies like Playmates do smaller scale figures better than they do larger figures - the larger figures with this movie line just seem to me to be blown up versions of the smallest scale. My other reason is that they will look cool with the Indiana Jones figures i have from Hasbro and the star wars ones too plus i think in the long run, if this movie is to be a huge success and kids buy into it or fans go nuts and buy them all, that the 3.75 inch scale has more choices for expansion than the 6 inch line - plus i think the 6 inch line won't go beyond the 2nd wave.

what's everyone else going to go for?

#2 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:16 AM

3 3/4" mostly with a few 12" thrown in. I may even pick up a Kirk and Spock from the 6" line for my desk at work but am not sure yet. Why 3 and 3/4"? Becuase it has been my favorite size to collect since I was a kid collecting my first G.I.Joe figures. You have so much more room for display and many more options for dioramas and such with the smaller ones. Plus you can use parts and accessories from other 3 3/4" lines to augment your display.

#3 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:07 AM

3 3/4" as well, mostly due to the fact that there will also be playsets. Their 6" line doesn't look as good as DST's 6"-7" line and their 12" line looks about average, not spectacular.

#4 Hermey the Elf

Hermey the Elf

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 03:31 PM

I'm getting them all, because playing with toys keeps me out of the pool halls. spock2.gif

#5 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 03:37 PM

I plan to pick up the Spock figures in all three scales, Original Spock and new Spocks. I also plan to get the Mattel Spock, not too interested in the Kirk or Uhura in that line. I will look at all of the figures, playsets and roleplaying items, but the Spocks come first.

#6 stardust

stardust

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:36 PM

I'm getting it all. Oh boy is my wallet going to be in a world of hurt afterwards if they are all coming out at once but I can't help myself. I like the various sizes. Sometimes I want to display the 3.75" ones, at other times the 6" and then the 12" will fit in quite nicely with the 12" Playmates started in '99.

#7 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:07 PM

I have to admit that I have them all on preorder thru Newforce. Rick told me that they are coming in waves to the retail stores and that means of course, if the first ones don't sell very well, the last might never get delivered. Thereby leaving many people with half sets and having to consider double buying the first wave(s) from someone like NFC in order to complete a set. So I'm all in, buying them all at once from Newforce Comics.

#8 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:16 AM

QUOTE (FHC @ Mar 29 2009, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So I'm all in...

I call. huh.gif

dry.gif Wait... wrong game!

I'm not really sold on any of these yet... in any scale. I need to actually see the movie 1st.

#9 QuePaso?

QuePaso?

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:52 AM

I've committed to the case of 10 3.75" ones from Rick to make sure I get all those. Otherwise I will wait and see what they look like once I find them in the stores. I might pick up a few of the 6" line if they look good. And I'll eventually probably get the ship, transporter and bridge if they're on sale or clearance.

#10 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:05 AM

3 3/4"- because they look the nicest of the bunch, and because I certainly can't afford everything. Also, playsets are nice. DST's larger figures blow Playmates away, so I'm sticking with them for the 6-7"ers of Trek toys.

Aside from that I'll be looking for a 6" old Spock to hide behind my DST stuff. wink.gif

#11 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:22 AM

I was thinking if the 6" "old Spock" looks good enough, I might get one... but again I'm not sure the likeness is really captured that well... but I'll wait until I see one in the stores.

If it looks like Nimoy, I'll buy one!

#12 Scarlet Spider

Scarlet Spider

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 02:07 PM

Has anyone picked up an "Old Spock"? (Are they even out yet?) If so I was wondering how it stacked up (size and detail wise) against the DST/AA figures? If someone could post a pic that would be awesome!

Thanks

SS

#13 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 02:20 PM

The official release date for these figures is April 19, so they are still a few weeks off. I can't wait to see them, though.

#14 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:12 PM

I am prolly only gonna get the 12" and the 6"...not interested in the 3.75" AT ALL

#15 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:27 PM

I'm picking them all up. I think they all have their charms.

#16 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:45 PM

I want them all too! I can honestly say that for the first time in a while I'm actually opptimistic about Star Trek toys! Thank you Playmates and DST!

#17 flw

flw

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:53 AM

Actually I won't be buying any of the new figures - it's just too overwhelming to start, since to build the playsets you have to get every single one. (I know, I'm a coward!) I will be buying the ship(s), however, and maybe - maybe - the role-play stuff.

#18 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 04:40 PM

3.75''

I think it's a fun scale and you get all the accessories with it. I hope we get some in-scale vehicles like a Shuttlecraft.

#19 flw

flw

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 06:59 PM

OK, so after my adventurous trek to a distant Wal-Mart yesterday, I was re-thinking this, and I might pick up the 6" line. I think the difference in scale makes for much more detailed and articulated figures - at least from what I can see through the packaging. I bought a 3.75" Pike for my son, and he's pretty cool, with all of the gear you get with him. But none of the other Playmates figures were ever that small, and the 6" would be a bit closer to some of the others.

#20 anti-hero

anti-hero

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:58 PM

QUOTE (flw @ Apr 12 2009, 07:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK, so after my adventurous trek to a distant Wal-Mart yesterday, I was re-thinking this, and I might pick up the 6" line. I think the difference in scale makes for much more detailed and articulated figures - at least from what I can see through the packaging. I bought a 3.75" Pike for my son, and he's pretty cool, with all of the gear you get with him. But none of the other Playmates figures were ever that small, and the 6" would be a bit closer to some of the others.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think the 3.75 have ankle artic which actually gives them more than the 6 inchers.

I really only want to buy into 1 line, but I can't decide yet. I love the playsets but I don't want to have to buy characters I don't care about in order to complete the bridge. Also, the Kirk in that line is a definite con for the 3.75 ones. The 6 inch Kirk looks much better imo. But I can't see spending that much on figures with what I consider sub par artic for that scale. I might just buy into the 3.75s for the playsets and just buy 1 or 2 of six inch, or possible just a 12 inch Kirk. Hmm...decisions, decisions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users