Photo

The Future of the Diamond Select Star Trek line

• Please log in to reply
269 replies to this topic

Poll: Expanding DST's Star Trek licence (32 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want to see DST get a licence to cover both the JJ Abrams movies and the new 2017 TV series?

1. Yes absolutely I'd love to see DST produce product for both as well as the older shows and films! (13 votes [39.39%])

Percentage of vote: 39.39%

2. No, some other toy company needs to take on Trek. (11 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Yes but just product based on the JJ Abrams movies as well as their already established TOS - ENT era product (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Yes but just product based on the new TV series as well as their already established TOS - ENT line (2 votes [6.06%])

Percentage of vote: 6.06%

5. No but continue with the TOS - ENT era of the Star Trek franchise. (7 votes [21.21%])

Percentage of vote: 21.21%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 06:15 AM

I think if sales are strong on the current select line, introducing more articulation would be a step in the right drain edition and getting some momentum behind the line is something that is sorely needed. Putting out 4 figures a year would be something amazing.

As well as momentum it would be nice to see characters from DS9, Voyager and Enterprise mixed into the assortment. And ok it may never be that we get entire crews but the legends of Star Trek would be awesome!

Janeway
The Borg Queen
7of9
Martok
Scotty
Gowron
Data
Riker
Admiral Kirk
Captain Spock
The Gorn
The Salt Vampire
Tasha Yar
Judge Q
Uhura
Chapel
McCoy
The EMH Doctor
Odo
Quark
Sisko
Kira
Dukat
Archer
Phlox

Are all characters I'd love to see.

#42 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 08:11 AM

I wouldn't call anything we've put out a "re-release," as they're all 100% new sculpts. And saying that people would be more interested if we put out more figures is undeniably true, as there is something to be said for momentum, but sales on the current line are strong, strong enough for us to keep going with the next two-three figures we have planned. And I sadly think the number of people who would be "on board" with a 100% Voyager line is not a sustainable number.

I think of them as deluxe or ultimate editions of the figures we already had in the past. I think they are good enough and different enough that I would be on the fence buying them anyway, but the large accessories for me put it over that edge. It's not as exciting as getting a new figure but it's something. The reality is the reason there isn't much DST can do that they haven't already done, and that's not a bad thing at all. We're fortunate to have gotten what we did.

That being said if DST or another company were to come along with a new smaller scale line that could offer more characters and/or possibly build on the Playmates line I would be 100% on board. NECA's Simpson line for example was intended to build on the Playmates line, I would love to see something similar for Star Trek. Imagine figures in that scale but with better sculpt, paint and articulation!

#43 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 12:36 PM

I think if Playmates were to come back to Star Trek then they should continue on from their 4inch 90's Star Trek line with the improved sculpting and manufacturing techniques we've seen them apply to their long running TMNT line.

However DST have had Star Trek for far longer than Playmates had it for and I think a lot of fans would love to see a return to the style of action figure we saw when Art Asylum had the licence back in the early 00's. The select line is great and if they wanted to apply the same quality and articulation that AA gave us in the 2000's in their select format then brilliant!

Another option is that DST and Playmates team up and give us a totally NEW Star Trek line that would require fans and collectors to start yet another Star Trek collection.

Personally I think it has to be one or the other. Either someone else takes the reigns or diamond select stick with their line and slowly turn the select line into a highly articulated range that continues on from where their older Art Asylum line ended.

#44 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:03 PM

I don't necessarily think it has to be all in on one company. It seems like the action figure market has really opened up recently to multiple companies doing various different lines for the same property. Even right now for Star Trek Mezco is doing their line and Funko has one as well right alongside DST, I think there's room for someone to do a 4.5 inch line alongside the DST select line, in fact I think they could compliment each other quite well. Perhaps they could even cross promote each other and help to build momentum.

#45 DSTZach

DSTZach

I can stop I just don't want to.

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 09:06 AM

I think of them as deluxe or ultimate editions of the figures we already had in the past. I think they are good enough and different enough that I would be on the fence buying them anyway, but the large accessories for me put it over that edge. It's not as exciting as getting a new figure but it's something. The reality is the reason there isn't much DST can do that they haven't already done, and that's not a bad thing at all. We're fortunate to have gotten what we did.

That being said if DST or another company were to come along with a new smaller scale line that could offer more characters and/or possibly build on the Playmates line I would be 100% on board. NECA's Simpson line for example was intended to build on the Playmates line, I would love to see something similar for Star Trek. Imagine figures in that scale but with better sculpt, paint and articulation!

Unfortunately, the characters we have left to do were either characters retailers did not order before, or characters we do not have a lot of confidence in.

And I am all for nostalgia, but re-producing Playmates' TNG/Dick Tracy style is slightly below the 1970s-style Re:Action figures in terms of appeal, to me. It is not a format/scale/body proportion I personally enjoy. But then, I did not collect them. My brother had a few.

#46 DSTZach

DSTZach

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 09:28 AM

So I guess websites saying July 31st aren't entirely correct?

J-R!

Seems optimistic, but maybe!

Is there no chance of ever seeing any more of the original 7" TOS figures like those made from 2003-2010? Has that ship sailed? :/ DST had so many unused sculpts and figures that we only got to see in convention on display.

I think we also saw most of them in Previews catalogs, where retailers did NOT order them, as assortments or as individuals. They were cancelled for a reason, not because we forgot about them. Chapel, Rand, Salt Vampire, 7 of 9, Borg, Borged crew, Kruge, Maltz, etc.

I do not believe we are planning any figures outside the current format/configuration, but there is plenty of room for different levels of articulation and interchangeability, so that does not mean that some of those characters will not make a return in some form or another, although the main character in the set would need to be a character that is "iconic" in some way.

#47 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:32 AM

Thanks Zach!

#48 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 06:09 PM

Oh, a Salt Monster, feeding on McCoy or a crewman
Wouldn't that sell?
Is there any possibility of selling two Select figures in a row, like Kirk and Spock were?

#49 Javabean

Javabean

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 08:53 PM

I hope DST wl reissue Enterprise refit TWOK again with coming Reliant release. They need do a non light bleeding hull. Use same paint material as Ent A & I'm sure everyone will be happy.

#50 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 09:00 PM

I'd want them to upgrade the electronics so we can get a lights on feature.

I like the pearlescent plastic since it makes it stand out next the the A, I just wish they could find a way to fix the light bleed without getting rid of the distinct look. 

#51 Reign1701A

Reign1701A

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:13 AM

The voice clips on my 1701A are super slow, it's really bothersome. The 5 seconds of lights on is unfortunate. I sorta like the nacelle light bleed though, makes it look like a surge of power just before leaping to warp.

#52 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:04 AM

Unfortunately, the characters we have left to do were either characters retailers did not order before, or characters we do not have a lot of confidence in.

And I am all for nostalgia, but re-producing Playmates' TNG/Dick Tracy style is slightly below the 1970s-style Re:Action figures in terms of appeal, to me. It is not a format/scale/body proportion I personally enjoy. But then, I did not collect them. My brother had a few.

Yeah I agree I never really liked the goofy bowed legs and swivel hip joints as well as the plasticy look of them, but over the run of the line they really did get away from that quite a bit compared to what they were like when it started. Towards the end they were pretty decent and I think if anyone goes back to that they need to improve it further, change the leg joints, better paint, more accurate proportions, etc.

These figures towards the end are far better than re-action!

psjWo6Ql.png

#53 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 05:14 AM

Yeah I agree I never really liked the goofy bowed legs and swivel hip joints as well as the plasticy look of them, but over the run of the line they really did get away from that quite a bit compared to what they were like when it started. Towards the end they were pretty decent and I think if anyone goes back to that they need to improve it further, change the leg joints, better paint, more accurate proportions, etc.

These figures towards the end are far better than re-action!
psjWo6Ql.png

I'd agree with you that the playmates figures are nicer than the reaction figures but, they're not as iconic nor as popular. The reaction figures are based upon the vintage Star Wars figures which revolutionised action figures. The Re:Action figures take that iconic style and design and apply it to different brands.

Diamond launching a similar line with the Playmates 4 inch line just wouldn't have the same appeal, no matter how nice they look.

If DST were thinking of changing their Star Trek action figure line then I'd be all for them changing the scale to meet the scale used in the 90's so that fans could build upon and have their new DST figures interact with the 90's playmates figures, play sets and shuttles.

However the 6 inch scale is enjoying a renaissance of sorts with every company pulling out the 6inch lines such as Hasbro with their Black Series and Marvel Legends, Mezco with their One:Twelve series, Mattel with their DC and Ghostbusters lines, DC Collectables with their DC lines, NECA with their various lines... Everyone is dong 6inch these days except for Playmates who've just kept expanding upon their older TMNT range which is exclusively designed for kids (it's a happy coincidence that adults love collecting TMNT toys).

It would be cool absolutely if DST went and began a 4 inch playmates style action figure line with improved sculpting but retained those classic child like proportions etc... I think it would work but it would mean that after a decade of fans collecting a six inch Star Trek line from DST they've now got to start collecting yet ANOTHER 4 inch line.

Could be a hit but it might be too much of a risk for DST to take.

#54 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 28 February 2016 - 04:09 PM

Even when playmates were out I thought they lacked the realism that I wanted and looked a little kid like. I bought them only because they were the only game in town.

#55 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 08:08 AM

The playmates line was immensely popular and successful at the time,  and created its own trend and followers, so I think its fair to say it is an iconic line in the annals of  toy collecting.

The reaction line just doesn't have the sculpt or paint quality I like, and thats just a personal thing, then again I can't say I really like the Mego style, and thats certainly considered iconic too.

Scale is irrelevant to me. I really liked the detail, sculpt, paint and articulation that AA originally brought.  DST did a fantastic job when they picked up the line from AA, and as Zach says, they really went the distance to give the fans what they asked for... but then the retailers... who placed orders based on fan demand (pre-orders) never materialized :-( I don't criticize DST at all for that. 

Sadly, I think Zach is right on target that an all VOY line just won't translate to sales, but select characters will sell, like 7 of 9, so I hope we see some "Select" VOY Trek in the future!

#56 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 08:09 AM

I've never been a big fan of the nostalgia type action figures. The Re-action, 8" Mego style and others while these are great to get some figures we wouldn't have otherwise gotten I would much prefer the detail and quality that can be achieved today. I think Hasbro took this on in the best way possible when they relaunched the 3 3/4" line in the 90's, same scale but much better quality. I think the same approach could be done with ST. I was also kind of happy to hear that Funko is phasing out the Re-Action and Legacy lines to make good 3 3/4" figures instead, I certainly would be okay with them doing Star Trek in this line.

#57 Shinzon

Shinzon

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 10:04 PM

I think the key to any toy line is making it look like it could be played with... not sure dst has that same aim.

#58 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 03:02 AM

I think the key to a great DST line is a complete overhaul of how they interact with the fans.

This initially was never meant to be a line for kids. This has collectors front and centre with highly detailed ships and figures at an affordable price. Somewhere between 2001 when Art Asylum had the licence and today, DST has lost its edge with its customers, resulting in a war of words between a jumped up Zach Oat and the fans.

What Zach really needs to do is to stop blindly defending DST so damn much and actually TALK to the fans about what it is DST should be doing differently.

If DST opened their minds and ears to the possibilities of what this line could be, and listen to us, then we'd probably see a better line.

It's about communication and DST stink at communication.

Having said all of this, their customer service is brilliant when you do have an issue so really it's their marketing arm that needs the overhaul and I've got to say, Zach isn't the guy to be involved in Star Trek. They should look at bringing in a couple of other marketing guys that all have different loves, one of which should be head over heels in love with Star Trek.

I don't know if anyone follows DST on Twitter but I've just been involved in a war of words between what I can only imagine is Zach on the other end trying to defend their Star Trek "line".

I tell you, if he has that much time to waste bashing customers on Twitter and here, he could of come to STLV and actually tried to do some good for DST's Trek line.

I also like how he thinks everyone who attends a convention is a hard core fan that must certainly be aware of their product... I mean how shitty and how lazy of a company are DST? To turn away an opportunity to sell more product?

Not impressed.

#59 Shinzon

Shinzon

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 04:01 PM

Honestly by the end of the Playmates license, most of the characters that should have been done were done.  There were a few people that were left out of the equation and a few creatures - Damar, Icheb, Vic Fontaine, Kai Winn, Weyoun, for example as well as some iconic characters that would have been fun to have (Belle, EMH-2, Necheyev, Admiral Necheyev, Cmdr. Shelby, etc.) but they were really grasping at straws... I honestly think that's one of the reasons they started to try to go into the 6 inch line... how much of this stuff would people overall honestly collect.

Enter AA and unfortunately, their approach to the deluxe bridge sets hurt customers right away.  Also, don't forget the fact within a year the most unpopular star trek series and film premiered....The figures couldn't sell.... I bought most of mine from that initial collection at probably 60% off I think my Shran was the only exception... and now I have a half completed Enterprise Bridge. Not blaming AA, I actually don't think the demise was their fault.. By this point casual fans were GONE and collectors were HURT.  Who wants to buy a line if you don't know if it will be finished?

As far as retailers, they remember that Star Trek Playmates failed in the 90s, AA failed in the early 2000s, and Playmates failed again in 2009... They are loathe to pick up Trek product clearly... with the new Mega Blocks not even being available in store at TRU or Target... two companies that previously had HUGE relationships with Trek toys. This says to me perhaps either the way the toys are sold needs to be changed, or the expectations need to be changed... maybe both.  I'll never forget just HOW MUCH SPACE Trek 2009 took up in the aisles at these stores... it felt borderline absurd... Three different size lines? And the primary line (3.5 inch) not being to scale of the phenomenally successful license Playmates had for 7 or 8 years! So Frustrating!

All this is to say, I'd like DST to perhaps continue, but only continue with certain things.  I find it hard to believe that Reliant had more demand than say a DS9 Station or a Starship Voyager.  If DST were to make a lineup based on the new series I'd also be on board!

Maybe Playmates would consider coming back to Trek and branching out into doing a different kind of line that built on the 4.5 inch line they did before, or finish up the 2009 line in a different collectors way - limited run, higher price, sell the bridge differently, etc. It does seem like they are hurting for licenses at the moment.  If not, someone new should step into the scene.  Star Trek isn't going anywhere - with a new series and a hit movie license SOMEONE should be making figures and ships of that era.  I would argue Trek is more popular now than it has been at least since 1994, and while the toys may not fly off the shelves into KIDS hands, I do think there is a market at least for the primary crews and a ship or two of the current items.  I'm sure a USS Franklin and Swarm Ship would sell from STB for example.

#60 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:42 AM

Trust me, you (and I) don't want Playmates going back to Trek.  Playmates is in their own decline at the moment at least in areas I pay attention to, which is TMNT.  Figure variety and quality is tanking, and it wasn't ever really all that great to begin with.  What they did in 2009 for Trek was probably better than anything they would do today.  In fact the massive failure of the Trek stuff might be what caused repercussions that affected everything they've done since, even through to today???

I don't want DST to do any figures, either, of any series/movies.  They can continue on with ships if they like, and props...I wouldn't be sad about that.  But figures, I am so over DST on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users