Photo

2009 movie Enterprise ship toy - wonky??

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Hermey the Elf

Hermey the Elf

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:02 AM

Look at this photo of the toy ship. I have seen others in person (including mine), which look the same. Did Playmates make the ship out of alignment a bit? If you look at the profile view, holding the nacelles on a straight line, the saucer section points north a bit. Is this a mistake in the toy, compared to the movie version, or did the movie version line-up like this? Anyone know definitively? Thanks.

p.s. I hope MonkeyBiz doesn't mind me using his photo here for illustration. See his original thread in custom ships, where he customized the paint job and detailing a bit.

#2 Soongprototype

Soongprototype

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:28 AM

it may just have been made that way to make it more durable.

#3 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 11:14 AM

Heres the QMX one for comparison,

I think the angles are slightly off on the Playmates one but it could also be the angle of the stand. If the QMX one is accurate the nacelles are supposed to be angled back.

#4 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 11:21 AM

Here's the QMX one overlaid over the Playmates, Maybe after a few years the Playmates one will start drooping and be accurate.

#5 Hermey the Elf

Hermey the Elf

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 11:59 AM

Hmm, the QMX looks even worse! Thanks for posting. Based on some of the renderings I've seen on the net (and I think these might be fan drawings?, because I don't think there has been any official drawing released yet??), from the profile view the straight line on the nacelles is in line with the "line" along the edge of the saucer rim. Anyone else have info or theories?

#6 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 12:42 PM

You can read a review of the ship in the reviews section of the website.

#7 Hermey the Elf

Hermey the Elf

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE (FHC @ May 30 2009, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can read a review of the ship in the reviews section of the website.

Thanks for posting. Another part of this website that I didn't know existed. tongue.gif Meanwhile, looks like the reviewer had no issue with the 'wonky' look.

#8 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 30 May 2009 - 05:32 PM

Well I had plenty of other issues!! I actually reviewed it before the movie came out so I didnt write anthing about how the ship was actually constructed because I really didnt know how it was going to actually be. The upward slope is there on mine as well but is far less noticable than the picture presents. Its defintely there but one would really have to be looking for it or display it against something that clearly points it out. Also after seeing the movie three times Im still not sure if they give a good view to use as comparison. Anyhoo...If that were the only issue with this ship I would be happy.

#9 NickyTea

NickyTea

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 11:07 PM

That QMX is a picture of an abnormally wonky model. Their production models wont look like that.

#10 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek: The Original Series <br />Graphic Design <br />Star Trek 2009 <br />Model Making <br /><br />

Posted 01 June 2009 - 06:48 PM

definitely gettin that QMx model and yeah the nacelles should be in line with the saucer section, but both of those models are off - the Playmates one does look fine though, as toys go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users