• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Hirogen

Hirogen

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 11:29 AM

Like what Mattel is doing with the He-Man line or the DC Universe figures, those figures are selling out in minutes (He-Man). Now, those are pretty much the same body I think but DST is famous for headswaps. Once/If the Defiant Chair comes out we may have a normal Voy style figure base and we might see some male Voyager crewman, or put up say Kruge or Dukat for $25 plus shipping. Entice figure collectors, exclusive figure collectors, and DS9 fans. I think it could work.

#2 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 11:35 AM

I'm not big on exclusives, but as long as they're still available after a couple of days at least I'd be all for it!

#3 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 11:49 AM

Whatever it takes to get them out.

#4 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 12:30 PM

The thing is that the MOTU stuff wasn't selling very fast when they first introduced it.

Then collectors started raving about them, and they went from months to sell out to weeks.

Then the Secondary Retail market took notice and now they are selling out in hours, if not minutes!

This has many collectors that just want to get one worked up.

Mattel is in a quandary, because if they up the number they produce too much, then all the "Secondary Retailers" drop off, and they are stuck with excess stock they can't sell...

So Mattel is kind of in a "Damned if they do" / "Damned if they don't" situation.

They want to gauge demand properly, but the "Secondary Retailers" are making it difficult for plain-Jane Joe collector to get them.

Which ultimately could spell the demise of the line if collectors just throw in the towel and quit supporting it.

#5 Hirogen

Hirogen

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 12:48 PM

I think it was just the first two they produced took a little bit to sell out. Mer-man that was available a few days ago sold out in minutes and people were reporting the server crashing and orders not going through. Mattel says they see the problem and adjusted accordingly. While I don't think the Trek will sell out in minutes, I think if DST lowers productions numbers of say Dukat and offer him for $25 plus shipping I think they would sell. DST needs to start thinking outside the norm and get people excited about their product, and this would be a good way.

#6 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:12 PM

We know that figures produced in an amount of 1,701 will sell out for DST, maybe not right away, but eventually. Geordi was slow-moving, but once Data came out they both sold out within weeks. Obviously meaning that if you do a fan-favorite character, it will sell in the first few thousand bracket for sure. For Dukat, I think he would be the perfect candidate for such a thing, and they should do two versions.

Regular - Limited to 2369 (the year Sisko took command of Terok Nor/DS9 and met Dukat)
Accessories: Cardassian weaponry (shown at Toy Fair)

Pah'wraith - Limited to 1999 (the last season of DS9)
Accessories: Bajoran Orb

#7 Matty-lad

Matty-lad

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE (Jedigreedo @ Apr 17 2009, 08:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We know that figures produced in an amount of 1,701 will sell out for DST, maybe not right away, but eventually. Geordi was slow-moving, but once Data came out they both sold out within weeks. Obviously meaning that if you do a fan-favorite character, it will sell in the first few thousand bracket for sure. For Dukat, I think he would be the perfect candidate for such a thing, and they should do two versions.

Regular - Limited to 2369 (the year Sisko took command of Terok Nor/DS9 and met Dukat)
Accessories: Cardassian weaponry (shown at Toy Fair)

Pah'wraith - Limited to 1999 (the last season of DS9)
Accessories: Bajoran Orb

Hey all,

This is a good idea however I'm not sure if that many figures would sell. As I've said before, the body could then be used as a Mirror Elim Garak. Probably the only way we would ever get him.

Take care,
Matty-lad

#8 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:11 PM

They can keep the numbers at between 1000 to 2000, just go into production in a different way. Maybe produce 12 figures in one production run to keep the MOQ, but only release one figure at a time, through their website, one each month. This way, they could guarantee complete crews, say like all the Voyager crew or all the DS9 crew, because everything will already be made. A lot of peole might be more inclined to buy into a series if they know they will definitely be able to get a complete set if they want. Plus they can get these out on a regular basis, on time, all year long. Big sellers like TOS, captain's chairs, and the ships and role-play, and maybe the occasional two pack can still be sold through retailers. However, less popular and more obscure figures can be sold in smaller quanitites to dedicated collectors via this exclusive method. Also, even if the regular releases experience delays, dedicated customers can still get their regular "Trek fix" once a month.

It would take a couple of years of planning and production to get it running, but once it starts, they should be able to get it running smoothly by planning a couple of years in advance. Most of the figures could be repaints and kit bashes to make things faster and easier like the Voyager/Generations/early DS9 figures and Klingons, with only a few unique sculpts will be thrown in like Dukat and Quark or Neelix and Kes per year. They would have to plan and prototype two or three years in advance, though, about 24-36 figures, separate them into batches of 12 figures and run off each batch per year to keep from having delays in the schedule. But it will allow them to keep the quanitites per figure low, but still keep their MOQ with the factories. So instead of running 5000 each of four figures, they would run 1500 or 1700 each of 12 figures. Then they would also have to sell them at a higher price, $20-$25, and only through their website for the exclusive factor that the He-Man and upcoming Ghostbusters figures have.

They could even offer yearly "subscriptions" for a an annual fee. Or even just a subscription for a specific set, like a Voyager subscription or a DS9 subsription if a particular crew will be released in succession over the course of a year. This way dedicated collectors could be guaranteed a set by reserving early. I would also suggest limiting subscriptions to one reservation per customer and regular, non-subscription orders to two figures per customer. Any remaining figures that aren't purchased by year's end could be clearanced out at the end of the year or even be given away as premiums and prizes to help further promote the line.

#9 Matty-lad

Matty-lad

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:59 PM

QUOTE (knightone @ Apr 17 2009, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They can keep the numbers at between 1000 to 2000, just go into production in a different way. Maybe produce 12 figures in one production run to keep the MOQ, but only release one figure at a time, through their website, one each month. This way, they could guarantee complete crews, say like all the Voyager crew or all the DS9 crew, because everything will already be made. A lot of peole might be more inclined to buy into a series if they know they will definitely be able to get a complete set if they want. Plus they can get these out on a regular basis, on time, all year long. Big sellers like TOS, captain's chairs, and the ships and role-play, and maybe the occasional two pack can still be sold through retailers. However, less popular and more obscure figures can be sold in smaller quanitites to dedicated collectors via this exclusive method. Also, even if the regular releases experience delays, dedicated customers can still get their regular "Trek fix" once a month.

It would take a couple of years of planning and production to get it running, but once it starts, they should be able to get it running smoothly by planning a couple of years in advance. Most of the figures could be repaints and kit bashes to make things faster and easier like the Voyager/Generations/early DS9 figures and Klingons, with only a few unique sculpts will be thrown in like Dukat and Quark or Neelix and Kes per year. They would have to plan and prototype two or three years in advance, though, about 24-36 figures, separate them into batches of 12 figures and run off each batch per year to keep from having delays in the schedule. But it will allow them to keep the quanitites per figure low, but still keep their MOQ with the factories. So instead of running 5000 each of four figures, they would run 1500 or 1700 each of 12 figures. Then they would also have to sell them at a higher price, $20-$25, and only through their website for the exclusive factor that the He-Man and upcoming Ghostbusters figures have.

They could even offer yearly "subscriptions" for a an annual fee. Or even just a subscription for a specific set, like a Voyager subscription or a DS9 subsription if a particular crew will be released in succession over the course of a year. This way dedicated collectors could be guaranteed a set by reserving early. I would also suggest limiting subscriptions to one reservation per customer and regular, non-subscription orders to two figures per customer. Any remaining figures that aren't purchased by year's end could be clearanced out at the end of the year or even be given away as premiums and prizes to help further promote the line.

Hey all,

Wow, this is such a great idea. There are many figures that could be done in this way, and as you say, even obscure figures could be done in slightly lower numbers such as Shelby, Eddington, Seska, Carey etc. Now how to convince DST to put this into place dry.gif

Take care,
Mattyt-lad

#10 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 03:08 PM

Hirogen, we could all speculate all day why MOTU is selling so fast, but the info I was giving came through a reporter friend that talks with the people running the MOTU, DCUC, and JLU lines at Mattel.

I have no reason to doubt him when he says the secondary retail market are a large portion of why MOTU are selling out so fast, but its not something that they want to come right on and say. They are trying to figure out how to solve the problem though...

I think the point that you and Knightone are making (if I understand correctly) is that you'd like to see them try different ways of marketing the license and maybe making the figures...

I think they have been trying subtle different things... they have pretty much abandoned the original formla that made the buffy and angle lines so successful (and those lines are gone now think?!)

They also have abandoned the "sets" of figures... and it's not looking like the two pack idea is doing very well!

Maybe they should try the "Marvel Select" formula.

Marvel select basically puts out 1 great figure in nice package with a base and accessories about once every 2 or 3 months. Price point is $20 ea.

#11 Matty-lad

Matty-lad

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Apr 17 2009, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Marvel select basically puts out 1 great figure in nice package with a base and accessories about once every 2 or 3 months. Price point is $20 ea.

Hey all,

The thing with Marvel Select is that they also release the variants with it. So the next Marvel Select figure is the Hulk along with a red Hulk. Would this work for Star Trek? Make a figure and a variant of it or would it be adding a different head, e.g. make B'Elanna Torres with the variant being Seska or make Miles O'Brien with the varant being Michael Eddington. This may work for some figures but with the more awkward ones, they would struggle.

Just my two cents.

Take care,
Matty-lad

#12 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 04:06 PM

The key is that they typically just do a re-paint (and maybe a new head sculpt) in order to try and get more milage from the basic body parts... which in Trek shouldn't be a problem, because as you've pointed out a Seska and B'Elanna could use the same basic body sculpt.

I would think they could still just release one every couple months to try and pace things with both fans and manufacturing...

#13 Hirogen

Hirogen

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 04:16 PM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Apr 17 2009, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hirogen, we could all speculate all day why MOTU is selling so fast, but the info I was giving came through a reporter friend that talks with the people running the MOTU, DCUC, and JLU lines at Mattel.

I have no reason to doubt him when he says the secondary retail market are a large portion of why MOTU are selling out so fast, but its not something that they want to come right on and say. They are trying to figure out how to solve the problem though...

I think the point that you and Knightone are making (if I understand correctly) is that you'd like to see them try different ways of marketing the license and maybe making the figures...

I think they have been trying subtle different things... they have pretty much abandoned the original formla that made the buffy and angle lines so successful (and those lines are gone now think?!)

They also have abandoned the "sets" of figures... and it's not looking like the two pack idea is doing very well!

Gothneo, then the point you are making would be benificial to the DST Trek line if I am understand it correctly. The Marvel Select formula you suggested sounds like another great idea for the Trek line. Let's get people excited again about Trek figures. That's my whole point, is to get exclusive offerings on their website(and your suggestion would work too). Announce the "exclusive" to be available on a certain day at a certain time. Maybe have like knightone suggested a DST subscriber early bird special or something and make the figure available for one hour before it is available to the general public and have a limit of four or something.Maybe we can see some truly unique figures, a Hirogen perhaps? I would pay a little more than $25 for one of my favorite races! smile.gif

I re-read the Maltz pack thread and read what Chuck said, an item is cancled then that means there is no chance of it being made. My question is why? I hate this phrase but it applies here so well, "Let's think outside the box."

#14 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:19 PM

Agreed!

I like the idea of a subscriber type figure.

DST could offer figures up, that require a pre-payment. When they get the number of orders they need to make it profitable they could go make them.

In fact they could list how many are needed and what the current count is right on the website! Then Fans could see how popular a figure is and if it's getting close to production.

I'd say put a time limit on them. If not enough advanced cash orders are received, cancel it, refund peoples money and try another figure...

Good ideas all! I'd love to see something happen!

#15 NickyTea

NickyTea

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:14 PM

That's a very interesting idea. I wonder what the logistics would be to get something like that started. Seems only logical in a market of figures that is increasingly niche.

#16 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:54 PM

What's bad about that MOTU line by Mattel is they are letting people order 10 at a time and putting these things up for sale in the middle of the workday! When most respectable people are at work or school. Scalpers are the only ones benefiting from this! I am one collector, who is about to give up on the MOTU line. It's not worth stressing over. The bad thing is soon mattycollector.com will have Ghostbusters figures with licensed likenesses of Bill Murray, Dan Akroyd, Harold Ramis and the rest and the madness will be on again! They really need to do a subscription kind of thing with this line to give the average collector a fighting chance!

#17 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Apr 18 2009, 12:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agreed!

I like the idea of a subscriber type figure.

DST could offer figures up, that require a pre-payment. When they get the number of orders they need to make it profitable they could go make them.

In fact they could list how many are needed and what the current count is right on the website! Then Fans could see how popular a figure is and if it's getting close to production.

I'd say put a time limit on them. If not enough advanced cash orders are received, cancel it, refund peoples money and try another figure...

Good ideas all! I'd love to see something happen!

I'd love it if they'd let fans vote for X amount of figures they like and commit to doing the 12 most popular annually, one a month, and commit to getting that figure out on time each month. They could also stay doing the two-pack thing to get to secondary figures faster. A Fan's Choice figure would be a nice gesture on DST's part.

#18 data_2006

data_2006

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek

Posted 18 April 2009 - 03:18 AM

Personally most of these ideas (like exclusives through the DST website) or certain times would mean O'll have tor ely fully on ebay (since DST does not ship overseas and I live in a wholly different times zone. So I hope DST does not go that way
now a sollution would be to use retailes like newforce instead of selling though their website them self

#19 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:22 AM

QUOTE (data_2006 @ Apr 18 2009, 04:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Personally most of these ideas (like exclusives through the DST website) or certain times would mean O'll have tor ely fully on ebay (since DST does not ship overseas and I live in a wholly different times zone. So I hope DST does not go that way
now a sollution would be to use retailes like newforce instead of selling though their website them self

Well, that's how they are doing it now, bascially, and it is obviously not working. DST needs to try something new and different and out of the box to try and make the line work. It would be hard to expect retailers to run a suggestion like the subscription service themselves or take on 12 figures at one time, for the course of a year in one big production run as it would be a huge investment and it would be daunting logistically. Not to say it couldn't be done, but it would add another level of complexity to a system that would require a lot of planning to work out as it is. They couold split the figures up between different retailers, but it would again complicate the process So it's either try something like that to make it easier, or do something even more complex and risk more problems for an already problematic line. If this is the only way to get the figures out that otherwise wouldn't see the light of day or as a way to strengthen a weakening line, I'd rather they try it than let the line stagnate and possibly die. The choices are try something new or scale back the line significantly or even just let the line go. Between those, I'd rather they try something new.

I'm not unsympathetic to international collectors. Who is to say DST couldn't start shipping internationally if they set up such a program and, thus, expand their web services. They very well could revamp their shipping system if they were to go ahead and revamp the way they distribute and sell their wares. In any case, I'm not suggesting they do this for the entire line, just some figures that might be less appealing to the general market, but would appeal to the dedicated fan and collector.

#20 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:43 AM

Being one of those people who collect MOTU, I would say the whole online fiasco has been a failure thus far. Its my belief that the MOTU line is being wholely supported by scalpers who are buying up 10 each probably more under different accounts and making sometimes triple that on ebay. The thing is MOTU has a dedicated fan base that really wants these figures and are willing to pay the high prices. With DST already producing figures and them not selling you wouldnt be able to do the whole secondary market thing because nobody would buy them on ebay either!

With that being said, DST does need to come up with a new strategy for releasing their figures. They also cannot base a new strategy on anything some other company is doing. Id like to see some more DST produced internet exclusives. I think you would need more than 1701 to make any figure successful because most of the ones we are talking about (Dukat, Yar, Guinan etc) all need new scuplts. I dont know if sales would be able to justify all the new parts needed even if you did another variant with it. It might work with simpler characters like VOY because the scuplts might already be made (please S4 Sisko!) but I just dont see new scuplt figures coming to fruition. Keep in mind, even MOTU thats selling out still is cycling through about 3 basic body scuplts and they too are hesitant to go further even with all the success they are seeing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users