• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 05:57 PM

This was a nice idea back in the day, a ship that you knew, but one that you could change around to make other ships. Not the best looking example of the Enterprise for sure but still a great toy. Somewhat hard to find these days I just made a trade for this one. I was kind of glad that it was an opened ship so I could take it out and play with it for while. Here below are some of the many way that one could put it together.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

#2 Electricbolt

Electricbolt

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • Interests:Most Sci Fi, however a strong emphasis on Star Trek, Stargate, and Doctor Who.

Posted 09 February 2007 - 06:05 PM

That's pretty cool, cooler than those Polar Lights models which you had several options for what Constitution Class ship you wanted to make. (which involved changing the dome and nacelle caps).

#3 Stormfury_Echo

Stormfury_Echo

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:50 PM

Ah, the SBE, you've gone and gotten me started, LOL. This is by far one of the best Trek toys ever made. I actually think it was very accurate for it's time period. Just the sheer perfection of the ships general shape is enough to warrant merrit. The sound effects are annoying enough to wake the living dead, but the replay value is fantastic. Not to mention that these things are pretty rare and valuable. I'm fortunate to own two myself.

#4 UFP-1701

UFP-1701

Once upon a time...

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:57 PM

I bought one on ebay 3 years ago and paid 300.00 for it MIB...I still have it but was never sure why these things sold for so much money, still don't after seeing Mark's here. I have never had the chance to see one out of the box and how it worked until now.

#5 Stormfury_Echo

Stormfury_Echo

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 05:49 PM

They sold for so much because up until four years ago, it was the only large scale toy made of the Refit Constitution. Even when it was on the shelves it was rare. That and the continuing rise is scarceness all adds to the value. Not to mention that it's a one of a kind toy. You can reconfigure it.

#6 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 07:47 PM

How come only three of the four RCS thrusters (I think those are supposed to be RCS thursters) painted? Or are those stickers and one just fell off?

#7 Stormfury_Echo

Stormfury_Echo

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 08:01 PM

Because of the limited budget for these toys, all details were done in the form of stickers. The only downside to the SBE is the poor decal sticker set that came with these. They were paper and the quality of the adhesive was aweful. Fortunately, there is a solution: http://www.calormen....hBend/index.htm
If you go here, you can get extensive info on the toy and you can also download the PDF file that Mr. Bell made for replacement decals. The extra decals were made under a mistaken impression, but they still look great on the toy!!! All you have to do is print these decals out on sticky paper, and boom, you're in good shape! I went to a print store and had them made on vinyl, but paper will do just as well! smile.gif Hope this helps.

#8 Rico

Rico

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:30 AM

Very cool! When did that first get released? That's one TREK toy that slipped by me.

#9 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE(Rico @ Feb 22 2007, 10:30 AM) View Post

Very cool! When did that first get released? That's one TREK toy that slipped by me.

When TMP was released, around 1979/1980. There were pretty hard to find to begin with.

#10 Pike

Pike

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:45 PM

Actually its quite an amazing toy for its time. There is a TOS VERSION that I had made. Granted the protrusions that give support are a bit bulky but there is no reason this toy and other ships made in a similar manner could really help boost the lagging thrill with TREK ships of late. Im glad that AA/DST is finally producing the the original 1701 REFIT, those that were on the original AA forum have been asking for it since the 1st version came out. NFC NEW FORCE COMICS sold a staggering number when they-the refit A came out. Im really hoping they come out with some DRYDOCK packaging that Rick mentioned 2 years ago.

Its an amazing toy and hands down the best TREK TOY. Oh, by the by, I have about 6 of these, no droopy nacelles, nothing sagging and the ship can take a drop to the floor many times over. Strong, durable plastic, good lines and you can make other ships with it, its the best.

#11 Stormfury_Echo

Stormfury_Echo

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 02:13 PM

the only downside is that the saucer tends to droop a little. sad.gif

#12 startrekfiero

startrekfiero

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:47 PM

I think it was the sleeper toy of the time. I think it is still a great looking toy even today.
It certainly does display well. Here is a picture of one of mine:

Considering the kind of quality many toys were made at the time this was actually a very well made and pretty darn cool version of the movie Enterprise smile.gif

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users