"The next property to join Diamond Select Toys & Collectibles

#2 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 06:01 AM

QUOTE(Sybeck1 @ Sep 11 2007, 06:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wonderful news! Are Superheros far behind?

Yes, I think so.

#3 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 09:17 AM

I saw this and was excited at first becuase I thought they were going to do hard plastic action figures like Trek or Stargate. I am not realy interested in the Mego Style figures any more. Maybe if demand is high and sales are good we will see some though.

#4 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 09:35 AM

Oh yeah! I'm all over these like an ape on stink!

wacko.gif

Wait...

Did I say "Ape" dry.gif

roflmao.gif

#5 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:34 AM

Well darn it, I just gave in and ordered all the BSG figures now there's something else I'm thinking I will want!

#6 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 03:18 PM

QUOTE(Sybeck1 @ Sep 11 2007, 06:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wonderful news! Are Superheros far behind?

QUOTE(pickard @ Sep 11 2007, 08:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, I think so.

I think so too and i couldnt be happier with this news! Mego figures were my all time favorite figures and i had some Planet of the apes figures as a kid so i will be getting these figures as well as the Star Trek ones. I hope Superheroes will be next. I look at all of the Batman and Superman figures at the stores these days, but i never see anything i want that are nearly as good as Megos were.

#7 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 04:27 PM

QUOTE(VulcanFanatic @ Sep 11 2007, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think so too and i couldnt be happier with this news! Mego figures were my all time favorite figures and i had some Planet of the apes figures as a kid so i will be getting these figures as well as the Star Trek ones. I hope Superheroes will be next. I look at all of the Batman and Superman figures at the stores these days, but i never see anything i want that are nearly as good as Megos were.

I guess I wasn't clear. Mego-style Superheroes from DST are far behind. Very, very far behind. In fact, they're not coming. At least not DC and Marvel.

[ That's just my educated guess; I have no inside information.]

#8 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 11 September 2007 - 04:31 PM

the classic covers figures came out when Toyfare was doing their Mego Theatre and those figures just bombed. Even the new Marvel Legends Mego style figures sit on the shelves. I know they arent the same but i dont know how much of a market there is for them. To be honest I dont know how big of a market there are for planet of the apes megos either. the only apes i know is the horrible remake movie. does the original stuff run on tv anymore?

#9 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 05:31 PM

QUOTE(thehsbr @ Sep 11 2007, 06:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the classic covers figures came out when Toyfare was doing their Mego Theatre and those figures just bombed. Even the new Marvel Legends Mego style figures sit on the shelves. I know they arent the same but i dont know how much of a market there is for them. To be honest I dont know how big of a market there are for planet of the apes megos either. the only apes i know is the horrible remake movie. does the original stuff run on tv anymore?

The original Apes movies play on various channels but most fans have them on DVD i suppose. I have the Apes movies, both tv series and the newer movie all on dvd. I think there are many fans that still like POTA and i predict the figures will sell well. Many folks that buy the Star Trek Megos will buy the POTA megos too.
I think the newer type figures such as those Marvel legends type figures are not nearly as good as the Mego figures were and thats why they are sitting on the clearance aisle. They dont have the flexibilty of Megos, the clothes are not removable or interchangable with other figures and they are plain boring. I bought a Superman figure that Hasbro put out back in '99 that was supposed to be like the mego style, and while i like it, i still dont like it nearly as much as mego Superman.
The POTA remake had great makeup and special effects, but the movie was no where near as good as the original. The storyline was interesting but the Tim Burton twist was to strange for me. I liked Charlton Heston's appearance, but not much else. The end was crazy and has never been fully clear to folks who saw the movie.
I dont see why DST wouldnt make Superheroes retro figures. I think they would sell quite well.

#10 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 07:36 PM

QUOTE(VulcanFanatic @ Sep 11 2007, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dont see why DST wouldnt make Superheroes retro figures. I think they would sell quite well.

I don't disagree, but Hasbro and Mattel would be unlikely to allow them. Especially where Hasbro has a similar product on the shelves, as you mentioned.

#11 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 08:57 PM

Don't know much about the damn dirty Apes...I did see that new movie a few years ago.

But I love Mego styled figures....I really do. So I'll pick these up.

I'll have to go watch all the movies now. Didn't even know there was a TV show!!

#12 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 09:31 PM

Oooooo That re-make of POTA was a travisty to thhe franchise! Realy bad IMO! I was so excited for it and then so dissapointed by it!

POTA has to be one of my favorite properties (next to and behind Star Trek of course tongue.gif) I picked up all the Sideshow Collectible POTA figures and was really quite thrilled with them. I was just dissapointed that they didn't make more... especially from BFTPOTA and COTPOTA (yes I know those were rather bad, but I take them stride with the whole franchise)

I remember seeing some of the TV series when they originally aired, and of course I watched the Cartoon! Never had any Mego figures growing up, but I lived out in the boonies!

I used to read all the POTA and TOS Star Trek Books in Jr. High. Loved them all!

Yep POTA is one of my "Core" Collectibles and I'd never get rid of them, so these I would love to get!

#13 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 09:37 PM

Strange to see POTA written, but not meaning 'Piece of the Action' laugh.gif

#14 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 04:34 AM

QUOTE(pickard @ Sep 11 2007, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't disagree, but Hasbro and Mattel would be unlikely to allow them. Especially where Hasbro has a similar product on the shelves, as you mentioned.

Not sure about this but isnt Diamond the owner of the DC characters likenesses anyway? Maybe not directly but part of the same company? If so, why couldnt they make the DC character Mego figures even though they licensed other companies as well?

#15 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 05:13 AM

QUOTE(thehsbr @ Sep 11 2007, 05:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the only apes i know is the horrible remake movie. does the original stuff run on tv anymore?

Please find the original and watch it, as it is one of the best scifi films of all times. The remake is a terrible pile of monkey poo IMO.

Just imagine the crossover scenes, of Kirk and crew with the apes!

#16 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 05:47 AM

QUOTE(VulcanFanatic @ Sep 12 2007, 06:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not sure about this but isnt Diamond the owner of the DC characters likenesses anyway? Maybe not directly but part of the same company?

No. In no way.

Though Diamond is a distributor of some of DC's products, it is in no way part of DC, nor the Time/Warner conglomerate of which DC is a part.

#17 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:40 AM

QUOTE(pickard @ Sep 12 2007, 06:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. In no way.

Though Diamond is a distributor of some of DC's products, it is in no way part of DC, nor the Time/Warner conglomerate of which DC is a part.

The issue I would see is that most lines are licensed according to what type of product it is. Being that Mattel (?) already holds the liscense to action figures and currently produces a doll like format, Im not sure if DST could make something like that. I think Mattel would have to give their consent. However, Hasbro also holds the rights to action figures but Diamond Select makes a higher grade figure as well. Im not sure if this is a gentlemen's agreement or if it truly is two separate licenses. Being that it is a collectos remake i could see it happening especially for the marvel heroes considering they already work with DST on other projects/figures.

#18 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 02:29 PM

Are you maybe thinking of DC Direct VF?

Diamond are just distributes for DCD, I don't think they have a license in anyway.

DST does have a license from Marvel Toys, which basically limits them to the 7/8 inch action figures they make in the Select line.

#19 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 03:56 PM

QUOTE(thehsbr @ Sep 12 2007, 10:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The issue I would see is that most lines are licensed according to what type of product it is. Being that Mattel (?) already holds the liscense to action figures and currently produces a doll like format, Im not sure if DST could make something like that. I think Mattel would have to give their consent. However, Hasbro also holds the rights to action figures but Diamond Select makes a higher grade figure as well. Im not sure if this is a gentlemen's agreement or if it truly is two separate licenses. Being that it is a collectos remake i could see it happening especially for the marvel heroes considering they already work with DST on other projects/figures.

Hasbro currently has a product very close to Megos on the shelves now. There's no way they'd want DST to make Mego-type figures at this time.

DC already has to slice out bits of their master license to Mattel so that DC Direct can make collectibles. DC Direct has stated their 13" dolls are a direct response to the continued demand for Mego-type figures. I can't imagine they'd be inclined to try to arrange for DST to make Megos.

(You could point out that DC's 13" dolls are an awful response to demand for Mego-type figures. I wouldn't be inclined to argue, but that was one of their stated motivations.)

#20 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:18 PM

I guess all i have to say is that instead of trying to make "Mego like" figures that bomb and end up in the clearance bin, make authentic Mego figures like DST is doing and be successful in selling them. I would really like getting the "Worlds greatest superheroes" mego retro figures before any of the ones ive seen put out by the current companies other than DST.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users