• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:29 AM

You can right-click on the images in the members gallery, copy the address, and then paste them here in between [ img ] and [ /img ] (without the spaces), and they'll show up. I'll check your gallery now, though.

EDIT:

OMGOOh1.gif

You need to make a new topic about this, post-haste!

#22 Kmagz

Kmagz

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:29 PM

I think I have this nutted out now. Thanks for that.

tn_gallery_10178_124_851461.jpg

#23 Kmagz

Kmagz

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:33 PM

Wait......

gallery_10178_124_851461.jpg

Thats better.

#24 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:49 PM

The lighting is impressive, but it's the paint-job that's blowing my mind!

How do you... a awesome person... be?

EDIT:

The windows... THE WINDOWS!

#25 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:25 PM

LOL.... Wow.... Destructor your Supernatural clip totally sums it up.... Kmagz your work is mind blowing!!! Hats off sir....thats one hell of an upgrade !!

#26 Kmagz

Kmagz

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:06 PM

Haha thank you Very much. But in all seriousness anyone can do it. Patience is a must though haha.

The windows were just drilled out using the hand drill, but if you were wanting to tackle this I would recommend getting your hands on a dremel as this would cut the time in half.

Also the painting was quite easy, just time consuming. The Aztec pattern is pretty simple to replicate, but a lot of it I made up myself.

I will most likely start a thread to show how I did this for anyone wanting to give it a go.

I have one more thing to finish this off which is the stand, as I am not happy with it as it is. My aim is to incorporate the sound effects board I removed from the ship, into an LCARS type panel display base, however I will start a separate topic for this.

#27 Kmagz

Kmagz

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:12 PM

Haha thank you Promethius.

But I must say if it was not for Destructors help in showing how this ship comes apart it would still be in a box in my garage.

#28 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:28 PM

Ok, now I'm swooning.

This is awesome, you are awesome, and there need to be more photographs of this thing. Not just here, either. It needs to go on Modelers, Miniatures, and Magic, for it is an example of all three of those things.

Please, please do make a thread.

I see you're from Australia. I wonder is it just my climate, here in rainy, cold Ireland, and the fact that I do my painting in a cold, un-heated garage, that's messing me up?

I'm guessing my lack of patience or skill has something to do with it, but if I can find a climatic boogey man to blame, I'm all aboard!

#29 Kmagz

Kmagz

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:35 PM

Oh I wouldn't say your lacking skill by any means. As I said before, the patience for this will test you. Trust I am not that patient.

I appreciate your kind words as I really did not expect such a bug response from this.

I will get started on a thread during the week to show the Aztec paint work. Unfortunately I didn't take any photos of the lighting build up.

#30 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:02 AM

I look forward to reading it!

#31 blacky

blacky

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:SciFi at all (mostly Star Trek), flying, maintaining old cars and planes

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:37 PM

@Kamgz:

is there any progress in your project? I'm in the decision finding process for a major refit for my DST Enterprise AGT as it has a major computer core (microcontroller) failure. It will be fitted with an arduino microcontroller board with the option to interact with other ships (e.g. Klingon BOP) and therefor I'm interested wether you have any progress especially on the LCARS board?

I'll start my own thread when I sorted out how to design and build the components.

Boris

#32 Kmagz

Kmagz

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:20 AM

Hi Boris. Wow has it been that long? Just noticed the last post date. I have started designing the LCARS layout. Unfortunately I have had to put the build on hold. Way too many jobs have taken priority. I aim to get working on it now the holidays are over though. Your project sounds amazing. I think everyone will be interested to see how it all works. I know I am.

#33 blacky

blacky

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:SciFi at all (mostly Star Trek), flying, maintaining old cars and planes

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:46 AM

Hi Kmagz,

thanks for your reply!

Well, as I said, I'm just at the beginning (ordered the first contoller board today) and it will take a while but when I know how to use the board and how to control light and sound effects I'll start my own thread. The idea is as old as the lighted Bandai snap togehter kits but they are way to small and I won't have the patience to do such a project with the old AMT - kits. I like the way DST did their ships but I think there is a lot more potential ( especially for static display) and the ships have enough space to accommodate some electronics.

I'd like to animate the phaser array as well ( or let's say a part of it) but first I have to drill the windows (!!!!). When they look fine I'm may be confident for doing the phaser array.

Boris

#34 Kmagz

Kmagz

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:40 AM

Hi guys

I know its taken a long time, but I have finally started a write up of my build here.

Thanks again Destructor!!! for your inspiration. Mine would probably still be sitting in a box collecting dust if it was not for this post.

#35 stardestroyer001

stardestroyer001

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:08 AM

Back again. Now that I have both the DST Enterprise (AGT variant) and the Aoshima Enterprise-D, I'm not too afraid to bust up a $30 toy and worry about not having an Enterprise-D to put on display. :)

I suspect the circuits on my Playmates Ent-D blew up when I was testing the center impulse engine LED I had hooked up. Although I could be wrong, it might be any number of issues - snapped wiring, dead batteries, burnt-out LEDs, whatever. If only I had any knowledge of how to wire this ship up so it can run two LEDs in each nacelle, an LED in the deflector and an LED in the center impulse engine. I was experimenting with wiring the center impulse engine up to one of the nacelle wirings, but maybe that wasn't such a good idea.

Anyway, I'll keep updating as I keep progressing. Oh, and side note, Kmagz your ship looks amazing. I may end up repainting my ship as well - when I bought mine from a Trek convention a decade back, it came with some odd brown smear marks. I hope I can paint over that, and use Destructor's Aztec technique from this site.

With any luck, if this goes well, I'll be doing similar LED upgrades to my DST Enterprise-E (first release) and Enterprise-A (also first release).

EDIT 1: A quick Google search found that Milliput is one choice for modeling putty. I can seal up the huge soldering dent with this stuff.

EDIT 2: Some photos I took with my phone. 

IMG 20140713 110708 313
Comparison.
AGT Enterprise-D
AGT Enterprise closeup of the Aztec patterning.
Playmates Enterprise-D, starting again
My Playmates Ent-D, where I left off. Note: I painted the saucer impulse engines black; I never did like those being "on".
Playmates Enterprise-D, solder damage to plastic
Solder damage after a careless misplacement of the solder after using it.
Playmates Enterprise-D, original damage
Brown marks. These came with the ship when I bought it.
Playmates Enterprise-D, damage to nacelle
Nacelle damage. It's hard to see, but there are scratch marks on the red plastic as well as dents and bending damage to the housing.
Playmates Enterprise-D, damage to nacelle (side view)
A side view of the damage.
Playmates Enterprise-D, nacelle damage 2

Plastic is strained. I'm afraid to snap it.

EDIT 3: Fixed the power issues! :)
Playmates Ent-D, center impulse successful test

#36 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:41 AM

You're off to a good start, I'm glad to see you've figured out your power issues!

#37 stardestroyer001

stardestroyer001

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:15 PM

Good to see you again!

About cracking open the nacelles, how exactly did you do it? I tried slipping different objects under the white bussard caps, but that resulted in bending the plastic.

#38 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:10 PM

I slid a thin blade (x-acto knife type of thing) all the way along the warp field grilles, cracking the glue in there. You won't have the leverage from the bussard end, though you do have to crack that glue too.

This post has the details of that part of my strip-down. Let me know if any of the images are no longer working, they appear to function for me.

#39 stardestroyer001

stardestroyer001

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:11 PM

That's horizontally, along the length of the nacelle? Or vertically at the wide end? (I did the latter, the nacelle is still sealed tighter than an airlock!)

And thanks, I'll have another look.

#40 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:00 PM

Actually, upon reading my guide I linked again, I remembered that the scoring of that glue along the warp field grille was fruitless, the nacelle came apart along the opposite seam anyway. What was important was getting the front end apart, and getting a pointed tool like an awl into the little gap at the narrow point of the warp field grille's fan-out bit behind the bussard assembly.

There's a colour coded diagram in that link I mentioned the other day... I can see the pictures, but they're potentially down for everyone else - so let me know if they're not showing for you.

Again, best of luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users