• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Hirogen

Hirogen

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:25 PM

Yep my favorite scifi show ever has been cancelled. There is a *possibility of it returning on another network, but we'll see.

http://www.gateworld..._isg-1i_c.shtml

#2 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:46 PM

What a travesty! Then again, i cant believe an actually good show made it that long in the first place. Usually the good shows get the ax about the time everyone gets into it.

#3 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:09 PM

This is bad and shocking news indeed. I am not a fan really, but know a lot of you are. At least you'll still have Atlantis.

#4 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:30 PM

Well I hope they at least try and wrap up the whole Ori Story line.

#5 Samwise Gamgee

Samwise Gamgee

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 12:02 AM

QUOTE(VulcanFanatic @ Aug 21 2006, 09:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What a travesty!

[Teal'c] Indeed. [/Teal'c]
Be sure and sign the petition guys!

#6 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 06:03 AM

I'd heard ratings weren't doing well, but it's still disappointing.

However, the show had a great run.

#7 ECH

ECH

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 02:27 PM

QUOTE(pickard @ Aug 22 2006, 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
However, the show had a great run.

Indeed - the longest in American Sci-fi history if I'm correct. I just read the news in an article on the BBC website. You can find it here.

'Tis a shame. I really liked that series. I'll just have to make every episode count when the 10th series goes out on Sky One later in the year. I can see why the Sci-fi Channel cancelled it though. I don't think that the ninth season was as good as the previous ones, even if the Ori were a pretty cool new baddie.

#8 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 07:14 PM

I am very disapointed over this. SG1 is one of my all time favorite shows. I guess we have been lucky that it went as long as it did though. Still it is to bad.

#9 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 10:18 PM

If any series had follow up movies made, it will be this show, and it would be great for all of the originals to return like General Hammond, O'Niell, and maybe even a Apophus clone. Anyone know when Season 9 will be out on dvd?

#10 Hirogen

Hirogen

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 05:52 PM

QUOTE(VulcanFanatic @ Aug 23 2006, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If any series had follow up movies made, it will be this show, and it would be great for all of the originals to return like General Hammond, O'Niell, and maybe even a Apophus clone. Anyone know when Season 9 will be out on dvd?

October 3rd.

Here is the artwork,

http://www.tvshowson...cfm?NewsID=6345

#11 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Props, uniforms, 9&quot; clothed figures

Posted 02 September 2006 - 05:14 AM

QUOTE(VulcanFanatic @ Aug 22 2006, 04:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What a travesty!

Indeed, that show was a travesty. it should have been cancelled the moment they decided to swap Kurt Russell for that McGuyver actor who definitely isn't "man" enough for this part!

I liked the movie but saw no series in the format.

Also, I wouldn't call it sci-fi (I know it is, but not in my book) because everything looks so contemporary (machine guns, contemporary military uniforms, ect.)

Naah, if you want contemporary sci-fi, go and watch The Six Million Dollar Man (greatest show ever, yet I never saw it as sci-fi either)

#12 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 12:00 PM

Come on man, That is not right. If you havn't noticed we try not to start stuff like that on this forum. I respect your opinion but find it a little rude to just openly bash it out of the blue like that. especialy when everyone is trying to discuss thier dissapointment over it being cancelled.

#13 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 01:59 PM

QUOTE(JMW326 @ Sep 2 2006, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Come on man, That is not right. If you havn't noticed we try not to start stuff like that on this forum. I respect your opinion but find it a little rude to just openly bash it out of the blue like that. especialy when everyone is trying to discuss thier dissapointment over it being cancelled.

I'm sorry. I may be a little emotional about that, but I still have a hard time knowing that Stargate had 10 seasons and ENT (simply the best star trek since TUC) was prematurely cancelled.

Scott Bakula was brought into Star Trek because he was already a TV star (Quantum Leap). Now TV land will for ever see him as the man who couldn't save Star Trek. Next thing you know instead of getting offers he might go back to auditioning! This is very bad for his carrier and his bank account. And he is such a nice man and did such a great job.

And now some Stargate fans start weaping because the cancelled their show AFTER 10 SEASONS?!? They should be happy it lasted so long. If I was an executive who had anything to say about it believe me, it wouldn't have lasted 10 years!

I'm sorry, I can't help but get upset when I read all this.

#14 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 04:52 PM

I believe that Enterprise came to a premature end as well and as an SG1 fan I do feel lucky and thankfull that it went 10 seasons, I however think that it still has a couple more left in it. I just thought that your post was a little harsh to us SG1 fans. No biggie though.

#15 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 05:17 PM

I'm sure if Enterprise had been in sydication or on cable, it would have lived a full life. But that's another discussion altogether.

As for the end of SG1, I have hope. The producers seem very optimistic that the saga will continue in some other form. Movies, TV movies, mini-series. I have no doubt we'll see SG1 stepping through the old orifice a few more times after the series ends.

#16 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 05:58 PM

We can only hope. It will be interesting to see what happens.

#17 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 08:43 PM

I think Stargate SG1 is a great show! I just started watching the show a few months ago, and crammed all 8 seasons that i had into a couple of months of tv watching to catch up on it. The best way to see series tv is to watch it on dvd at your own pace, i had a ball watching SG1 in consecutive order. I am waiting for season 9 to come out to continue my watching.

I think everyone has a right to his or her opinion, i just dont share Berns opinion on this issue though. What made SG1 neat was that it was easy to relate to the characters because THEY WERE contempory folks that have these adventures going through a Stargate device, it is very entertaining in my opinion, and i dont like some other Sci Fi shows that are obviously more Sci Fi than Stargate.

I do think the Six Million Dollar Man is a great show, and i made sure i saw it every week when it was on in the 70's. I had a Bionic man figure and loved any thing to do with the show. One fun moment of the show was in an episode where Steve Austin goes into a toyshop to buy a toy for a kid, stands in front of a counter talking to the clerk, and if you looked on the shelf behind the clerk, there were Six Million Dollar man dolls in plain sight!! Very funny! Wonder how many other folks noticed that.

#18 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 02:55 AM

QUOTE(VulcanFanatic @ Sep 3 2006, 04:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One fun moment of the show was in an episode where Steve Austin goes into a toyshop to buy a toy for a kid, stands in front of a counter talking to the clerk, and if you looked on the shelf behind the clerk, there were Six Million Dollar man dolls in plain sight!! Very funny! Wonder how many other folks noticed that.

Oh yes I remember. I noticed it when I first saw it as a kid. This was in one of my favorite episodes, Bionic Christmas Carol, based on the work of Charles Dickens.

#19 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:04 AM

I used to be a huge Six Million Dollar Man fan. It was one of my favorite shows at the time (and I would still watch it if it were shown anywhere around here). But I would never really consider it sci-fi.

Now back on topic.....
I wonder how long it will be before SG1 characters start showing up on Atalantis and who (if anyone) will join the cast first? I know that ONeil is suppossed to be in several upcoming epidsodes.

#20 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE(JMW326 @ Sep 4 2006, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I used to be a huge Six Million Dollar Man fan. It was one of my favorite shows at the time ... But I would never really consider it sci-fi.

And why not? Because it was set in the (then) present?
Well, I FEEL the same way about Stargate. Yet I KNOW both sows ARE sci-fi!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users