Photo

Actor Stephen Collins (Decker from TMP)...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:41 AM

If you haven't heard the allegations against him, they're absolutely heinous: 

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-29533521

I sadly doubt that The Motion Picture will get any re-runs on TV now, especially over here in the UK (we've had a lot of old celebrities be outed as monsters of this type of thing - the worst kind).

Such horrible news.

#2 Loggy

Loggy

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:01 AM

I was crushed when I read this last night. Not only did I consider him to be something of a paragon of virtue as the Reverend from 7th Heaven, but I saw him as something of a 'father figure' despite the propaganda-esque nature of that show. Coupled with his role in TMP, where he played another character that seemed to embody the same sort of characteristics of the Reverend, I honestly (and perhaps undeservedly) feel betrayed.

My thoughts are with his victims, I cannot imagine that suffering that has accompanied these events. While I'd not like to assume his guilty, a confession that corroborates with his victim's stories is particularly damning. As such, I have no problem calling these women victims before he is given a trial.

As a teacher, I've seen many people in positions of power, whom young people have trusted implicitly, do these sort of unspeakable things. Unfortunately, as is the case here, a predator of this type is usually not the person you would expect. It is yet another reminder that we need to make sure our kids feel comfortable to reveal these things so they don't go unreported for so long. Most importantly, we need to make sure we listen, trust and keep an eye on our kids while remaining alert to this sort of behaviour.

And so ends my two cents.

#3 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 03:37 PM

I'm not going to leap to his defence, but innocent until proven guilty, guys.

We have one allegation (so far as I could tell) and a tape of a therapy session leaked by TMZ.

TMZ are the scum of the universe, and I regard anything they offer up with a sceptical eye...

It doesn't look good, though.

The thing is, if you were of a mind to destroy someone's reputation, it's very easy to suggest that they've done something vile. And that's all you need to do. Suggest it. And look: He's been dropped from Ted 2 and resigned from SAG.

I have a neighbour who was accused by a distantly-related, mentally disabled girl of abuse at a wedding. The girl had made similar allegations before, and no charges were ever brought. Nevertheless, the dude's wife was unhappy in their marriage (and rumoured to have been sleeping around), and seemed to leap on the allegation as an opportunity to kick him out of the house.

He's spent a few years living in a caravan since (he's managed to get a house now), and has aged about 20 years in the four years since. Initially, she was denying him access to the kids. It's evident how much the whole episode has damaged him whenever I speak to him, though he never speaks of it - it's just the look in his eyes.

I don't think he did it, but the horrible thing is that I can't be sure. The best we can do is sit on the fence until the authorities make a ruling, and try to trust that it's the correct one.

If either of them actually did it, I hope they never have a happy moment again - it's the worst way humans have of hurting one another.

#4 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 11 October 2014 - 02:03 AM

Thing with this, is that he's the one admitting/confessing to it on tape.

In regards to 'innocent until proven guilty', I completely agree with you. Paul Gambaccini appears to be the latest victim of seemingly false allegations. Regardless of whether they're later found to be guilty or not, I find it vile the way the press feels free to throw people's names around, without facing any consequences later down the road.

The only reason I posted this, was because it was him himself admitting it. It was a friend who linked it to me on youtube before that (hate TMZ), and a confirmatory search resulted in that BBC link. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users