• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#61 ensignmelkor

ensignmelkor

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 03:14 PM

I'm not a fan of the Romulan Bird of Prey, for two reasons: first, I always thought the bird design on the underside of the hull looked goofy, and second, the ship really looks much more like a Federation ship than a Romulan ship. (In fact, I think without the bird painting on the underside this would make a nifty little hypothetical early Starfleet ship.)

So, not something I'll buy, but I will say though that judging by the pictures DST has done a great job with it--they've certainly made this ship look as good as it can.

#62 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 03:21 PM

I much prefer the Enterprise era Romulan Bird of Prey. 

#63 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 07:16 PM

I much prefer the Enterprise era Romulan Bird of Prey.

I completely agree. If DST did that version I would buy one instantly.

#64 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 07:33 PM

I completely agree. If DST did that version I would buy one instantly.

It's really depressing knowing that AA had planned to make a bunch of ships from Enterprise before it was cancelled. So many great ship designs in that show.

#65 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 10 November 2015 - 08:52 PM

Is that true? Ah man. :/

The Romulan Bird of Prey in particular is so good, I like to think of it as being from the 24th Century as well. lol

#66 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:20 PM

"Vehicle toys were originally planned to be "interactive" and to scale with one another. Art Asylum production staff had also hoped to produce alien vessels from Enterprise."

Quote from memory alpha about Art Asylum.

#67 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:29 PM

...I wish Art Asylum was still in full control. :(

#68 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:30 PM

...I wish Art Asylum was still in full control. :(

Would be interesting to see what we would have if they were.

#69 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Music, acting, theatre, film, arts in General

Check out my band: www.facebook.com/eastportslackers

Posted 11 November 2015 - 01:34 AM

Oh man, an AA Andorian cruiser would've been so great...

#70 DSTZach

DSTZach

I can stop I just don't want to.

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:07 PM

The product manager, ship modeler and new ship prototype painter for the Starship Legends line are all original Art Asylum employees, and Tom Sasser had been working on the line since before DST. The man deciding the final line-up is the president of DST, but he's also the guy who has greenlit everything since, I believe, the TOS Enterprise. In fact, I think he got the Ent-E made when AA had trouble. And I'm pretty sure AA had abandoned the idea of more Enterprise-era ships before DST was even involved. Not sure what happened with the interactivity thing, might have been cool.

#71 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 03:57 AM

Art Asylum must have thought very early on that Enterprise wasn't selling and so any plans for more ships beyond the NX01 must have been dropped years before DST came into salvage what would have become a dead company and toy line.

The interactive feature would still be awesome! Having ship sounds and lights interact with another ship from an app on your smart phone or iPad would be awesome. Including sound fx onto the select figures bases would be cool too.

I don't understand all the bashing on the Romulan Bird of Prey... Like the Enterprise, the Bird of Prey is an iconic Star Trek ship! It's distinctive contemporary design and the beautiful bird graphic on the bottom are I think what sets that ship out from other alien ships in Star Trek. Is it my favourite? No, will I buy it? I'm not sure yet, I'm a TNG guy so my preference is on that era but it's not a bad choice for DST to deliver to fans.

#72 Alex

Alex

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:51 AM

In fact, I think he got the Ent-E made when AA had trouble. And I'm pretty sure AA had abandoned the idea of more Enterprise-era ships before DST was even involved. Not sure what happened with the interactivity thing, might have been cool.

DST did indeed get the Ent–E made when AA was having some serious issues with it and their company as a whole. (In part because of the chance they took with Enterprise, and Paramount's unwillingness to let them drop it sooner, but that's another story.) Art Asylum had abandoned the idea of more Enterprise–era ships by the time they moved to the Enterprise–A; they might have come back to ENT if the ratings had improved with season 4 which was popular with the fans who actually saw it, but by then they had other problems and ENT toys that weren't "Trek Tek" or ships were warming shelves, so they probably weren't going to chance another ENT release. As for the interactivity thing, supposedly Digger Mesh loved how Playmates' ships had individually controlled sounds, (just as many fans do,) but absolutely hated that they each required a visible button, (again, just as many fans do.) The workaround to this was going to be "touch–sensitive" parts of the ship, so that for example, touching the front of the saucer might fire phase cannons/torpedoes, touching another part of it might engage warp drive or impulse engines, and so on. Unfortunately, this concept proved to be too expensive for 2002, and the "bridge dome button" became the workaround. The interactivity was supposedly an idea that was played with around the same time as the touch–sensitive portions of the ship, but how it was supposed to work is a bit of a mystery. Supposedly one idea was to have ships somehow "recognize" sounds from another ship and respond with one of their own sounds, while another idea was more along the lines of early NFC or bluetooth for connectivity, but I'm not sure how far those ideas ever got before being dropped.

Art Asylum must have thought very early on that Enterprise wasn't selling and so any plans for more ships beyond the NX01 must have been dropped years before DST came into salvage what would have become a dead company and toy line.

The interactive feature would still be awesome! Having ship sounds and lights interact with another ship from an app on your smart phone or iPad would be awesome.

I don't understand all the bashing on the Romulan Bird of Prey... Like the Enterprise, the Bird of Prey is an iconic Star Trek ship! It's distinctive contemporary design and the beautiful bird graphic on the bottom are I think what sets that ship out from other alien ships in Star Trek. Is it my favourite? No, will I buy it? I'm not sure yet, I'm a TNG guy so my preference is on that era but it's not a bad choice for DST to deliver to fans.

1701D, I believe Art Asylum dropped plans for more ships from Enterprise before the show's third season; I do remember that Tim Brazeal was a frequent contributor the the Art Asylum message boards, and before launching SaveEnterprise, was one of the first people to point out just how close the show actually came to being cancelled in its second season, and I don't believe Art Asylum really released any new ENT merchandise during season three or four. Supposedly Paramount forced them to release even more than they wanted too when season two nosedived harder than season one and the toys just didn't sell, (nobody wanted anything from ENT,) and that ultimately contributed to Art Asylum's downfall as they never were able to quite recover from the loss they took with the show. The Enterprise–A was supposedly going to come out after the Enterprise–E before Art Asylum ran into issues with the latter ship, but both were chosen on the grounds that the "E" was popular and hadn't received a proper toy release in the past, and the "A" was popular and had never been released as a toy before at all. Both were an attempt to bring in people who weren't going to touch Enterprise, but who would touch the TOS movies and TNG, as well as DS9 and VOY.

I'm not going to lie, depending on how it would work, I would probably sink stupid money into the interactive feature as well if an iPod Touch and iPad would allow me to utilize it. A starship app that allowed the ships to interact with one another would be wickedly cool. Unfortunately, I fear it'd send the cost to the same level as engines for Lionel trains, and those are several hundred dollars a pop, even for the lower end ones.

I don't get the BoP bashing either, although I honestly think some of it is misdirected frustration at DST basically stating that they're not able to do a D'Deridex–class Warbird from TNG. (I understand the frustration, but I don't "get" taking it out on the BoP.) I also understand that the Romulan BoP is a relatively simplistic design, but I agree that it's iconic, and I'm happy to replace my Playmates BoP with a DST BoP on a shelf that's increasingly becoming DST ships. (Once the Romulan BoP comes out, I just need a TNG–era Klingon BoP to replace the Playmates one from GEN, a Defiant, and a Voyager, and I'll have converted my Playmates display to DST. Heck, if DST does the Enterprise–C I'll move the alien ships to their own display and just do Federation ships mostly named Enterprise over my bed.) While the Romulan BoP isn't my favorite ship either, (I'm more of a TNG, and even more of a VOY or TNG–VOY guy myself as well,) I'm still going to buy it. I actually think that's another part of the reason why there's animosity toward this particular ship. It's not that fans don't want it, it's that there are other ships they want first, both Federation and alien, and they're viewing this as "obstructing" one of those releases, for lack of a better term. Personally I'm happy to have it, but I'm also happy to hear that Chuck might have a way to bring me a Borg Cube, and would love to hear that the next ship will be the Enterprise–C or Voyager, or pretty much any of the ships we've asked for that DST has denied will be the next ship after the Romulan BoP. I guess you can call me one of DST's happy customers when it comes to the Romulan BoP, and that's coming from someone whose not even a huge TOS fan.

#73 ensignmelkor

ensignmelkor

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 08:21 AM

I am definitely frustrated that DST doesn't seem willing or able to give us a Romulan Warbird, but my Romulan Bird of Prey bashing is strictly because I really, honestly, think it's a goofy looking ship, and I wouldn't buy one even if the Warbird had already been produced. 

Here's my last ditch idea for DST to make a Warbird affordable: don't include lights or sound effects. I would definitely be willing to trade away lights and sound in order to have a Romulan Warbird on my shelf and I think almost anyone else who would want a Warbird in the first place would be willing to make that trade too.

#74 trekhunter1701

trekhunter1701

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 223 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek

Posted 05 February 2016 - 03:35 PM

Hey Zach......anything new on the BOP? Video of a sample or packaging pics??

#75 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 04:59 PM

Melkor - with no lights and sounds why don't you just buy a model kit and get one of the excellent customizers/model builders on this site to put it together for you? I know I would,as I have absolutely no patience whatsoever to put it together myself,lol! One of the reasons I bought the NSEA Protector pre-built. No lights,no sounds,but the command center does come off. Pretty neat ship. Wish DST could do Galaxy Quest stuff,but I know why they can't. Just imagine a ship from them with lights and sounds and such. Coooool!!!!! lol.

But yeah,I'd buy a Romulan Warbird with no lights or sounds,love the design.

J-R!

#76 DSTZach

DSTZach

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 07:37 PM

We'll solicit the Romulan BoP later this month and I'll see if I can snag a sample at Toy Fair.

Melkor, sorry I didn't see your last post, but if I had, I would say:

1. We don't make ships with no lights and sounds (except the occasional translucent variant), because that's not what we do.

2. If you would never in a million years buy a RBoP, I'm not sure why you're even in this thread. This is a place to discuss the RBoP, and I come here to talk about that, not defend us making it or listen to people pitch other ships and other business models. Start a Warbird thread, and I'll be happy to go there when I have something to say about it.

#77 Dilithium1

Dilithium1

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 07:40 PM

Do you know if the Forward Plasma Canon has lights, Zach?

#78 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 05:10 AM

Will it have blue or orange engines? The bussard rampscoops?

#79 DSTZach

DSTZach

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 07:38 AM

Bussard collectors are orange, as far as I have seen. Waiting on final working sample to see lights, but I'll check factory videos (and plasma cannon location) to see if I can't tell.

#80 DSTZach

DSTZach

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:42 AM

Seeing a light in the cannon spot, not sure about final color or pattern. Rear of engines looks to be white, as well, again not sure if final.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users