• Please log in to reply
981 replies to this topic

#61 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:22 AM

Yes, for all intensive purposes, the 1st two episodes look to be an Intro, and "Discovery" proper starts in the 3rd.

Im happy they put up the 2nd episode right away, as it really flowed well and completed the intro nicely.

Overall this was a very action oriented intro to a new Trek story. Its got a bit of DS9 "Dominion War" feel to it, but its early so we need toes where it goes.

My two nits right out...

1. Lens Flare - most of it is so unnecessary!

2. The Klingon Prosthetics  really seemed awkward and I thought kinda got in the way... both for their movement and expression and just to talk... but we're rolling with it. 

#62 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:34 AM

Just watched the first two...

Loved it, it was a great return to Star Trek storytelling. Saru is my favourite and I loved the Michael Burnham/Saru relationship - echos of Spock and McCoy.

My one gripe is the look. It looks gorgeous but too generic, this show isn't 10 years before Kirk and Spock prime, there's no way that this show is set in the same time period as The Cage. The aesthetics are way way way too detached from Star Trek and that's a massive shame because it detaches me from fully investing in this era of the Star Trek universe.

The main problem I have with the look is that there's zero reason for the change from something hugely iconic to something that is not.

Anyway, the story was compelling and the acting was superb. I think Star Trek is back certainly and I hope that over the next 13 episodes, this show evolves into that iconic TOS look.

#63 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:37 AM

The biggest complaint though... After Trek.... crikey what a hot mess! That guy presenting is damn annoying. Scott Manz would of been a superior choice.

#64 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 04:48 AM

I'm ok with the aesthetics  of the bridge. Generally, its true to the overall format and arrangement... and the rest I don't worry about. 

All the subtitles and what really sounded like stuttering Klingon to me (I don't speak Klingon) was a bit distracting to me, however, I agree this was a good intro to what looks like a great Trek Story, and I'm gonna enjoy the ride.

Spoiler

Overall the critic reviews are glowing... no negatives, a few mixed, but overall positive... in this case I agree!

Interestingly... another installment of "love it" or "Hate it" it seems from the fans... .no real mixed bag.

Hard to take the Fan Critics seriously, when I can't see any legitimate complaints to dislike it yet. 

Honestly... IMO the first two episodes together were every bit of a an action packed Star Trek Inspired Movie.... it felt like a "Rouge One" for Trek... by which I mean its set in the same universe, but with new characters and with a story we've not been told... so this meets my biggest critique of at least part of the JJ verse movies... 1) tell me a new and unique story set in the Trek 'verse. 

Aside from that... I rather like the uniforms... a bit of a transition from the ENT blue jumpsuits, but very sharp looking. 

#65 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 05:10 AM

The biggest complaint though... After Trek.... crikey what a hot mess! That guy presenting is damn annoying. Scott Manz would of been a superior choice.

It was on very late... I'll after to watch it as a re-run. 

The extras on AA are nice... and I really enjoyed being able to watch it commercial free... basically saved 40 min of my time... and since people like to equate time with money... I'll contend getting the add free sub would be worth it even if it were airing on normal TV.

#66 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 06:37 AM

It's really too early to know whether to like the show or to hate the show. Like every Star Trek pilot, they don't tend to be indicative of the show itself. All I can say is that it's a solid Star Trek story, set against an unimaginative yet beautiful aesthetic that really kind of distracts from the story. The real victory for this show is in the quality of its cast. Saru, Burnham, Georgio, Tu'Kuvma... were all top notch. Can't wait for episode 3!

I don't think I'll be watching After Trek again though.

#67 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 06:39 AM

After Trek was horrible, I couldn't finish it. 

#68 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 07:09 AM

I definitely agree that episodes 1 and 2 probably wont be indicative of how the rest of the series will be. They seemed like world building episodes that introduced the main character and set the stage for the Trek universe at this time. . 

We haven't even met the cast with the exception of Michael and Saru, or seen the Discovery yet. 

#69 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:38 AM

I didn't realize that I could watch the 2nd episode through streaming immediately...  After paying attention to every detail all this time, somehow I missed that one!  So tonight we will watch the 2nd part and start that 7 day Free Trial.  That should give me the 3rd episode for free too, no?

#70 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:48 AM

I didn't realize that I could watch the 2nd episode through streaming immediately...  After paying attention to every detail all this time, somehow I missed that one!  So tonight we will watch the 2nd part and start that 7 day Free Trial.  That should give me the 3rd episode for free too, no?

3rd episode comes out Sunday, so it should. 

#71 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:00 AM

Overall I thought it was a very solid intro to the new series. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit.
I really like the different Starfleet ship designs. The uniforms aren't really that bad and they are growing on me. The sets are pretty amazing. I love the overall aesthetic of the show.
I know some are not crazy about the new look of the klingons but I think they are great. They look more alien and naturally organic instead of like a guy with foam and latex glued to his head.
The pilot did exactly what its supposed to do, made me want to see more.

#72 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:12 AM

Yes, the pilot did what it was supposed to... 

Personally... I think the new uniforms are heads and shoulders better than ENTs. Those were really Blah... I still think the found perfection with the TWOK uniforms... and its a pitty those were never used in an actual series. The Progression of TNG to DS9 to VOY I think was really Roddneberrys continuation of what we saw in ST:TMP... and actually this kinda fits that mold.. but I like it more than those....

I guess what I'm saying is I thinkTWOK is #1 and these are #2.

#73 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:40 AM

I'm hooked.

Minimates, please.  :D

#74 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 01:43 PM

Thinking out loud here; watch out... If we ignore TOS, this series would flow perfectly into TMP. It has that classic Star Trek movie vibe about it.

#75 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 02:23 PM

Well... thats kind of a way to say that TOS, which was way ahead of its time, is basically dated.. well ok... agreed... few sci-fi-fi shows or movies from that early really stand the test of time IMO.

#76 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 02:55 PM

Aesthetically, this show takes place in an alternate timeline created by the events of First Contact. TOS still exists but thanks to the crew of the 1701-E, it looks more like Discovery. We just didn't know it until now.

#77 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:32 PM

Meh, the TOS aesthetic doesn’t really fit anywhere, it disappears completely in TMP and isn’t referenced anywhere at all even though it’s only a few years later.

#78 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 04:03 PM

Exactly

#79 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 04:43 PM

Theres nothing wrong with the TOS aesthetics and they couldve incorporated a smoother transition. You can update the quality of the props and sets and keep the same aesthetic, it just takes some talent and creativity. They nailed this with the phaser and communicator for example. Enterprise in their season finale showed the screens on the ship transitioning to the TOS aesthetic. Its more likely whoever did set and costume design was trying to create a transition from Enterprise to Abrams Trek.

#80 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 04:52 PM

That was just a holodeck programming error!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users