• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#61 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 08:48 AM

If anything, it made me feel like TOS DID actually take place after Enterprise.

#62 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Props, uniforms, 9" clothed figures

Posted 08 October 2006 - 10:02 AM

QUOTE(Gothneo @ Oct 8 2006, 04:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If anything, it made me feel like TOS DID actually take place after Enterprise.

Funny, I had that feeling since I saw Broken Bow. I didn't need the new CGI shots in TOS to get that feeling. But I'm glad they did it. They should have done more.

#63 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 06:38 AM

I watched City on the Edge of Forevery (SE) yesterday.

They didn't change that much. They didn't clean up the Guardian's picture, like I mentioned above.

The opening shot, after the tease, of the Enterprise orbiting was BEAUTIFUL!

The purists over on TrekBBS can have their grainy clumsy fx. The new CGI really shows off the beauty of the original Enterprise.

#64 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 10:59 AM

As long as i have the Original TOS series on DVD i think its fine to improve upon shots like the scene Pickard is describing above. I would like to see these new CGI episodes of TOS when they make it to my area. Looking forward to getting TAS later next month on DVD right now though. Maybe there will be a new TOS DVD set put out pretty soon when they get the CGI inserted into all of the episodes.

#65 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:38 AM

http://trekmovie.com...and-audio-clip/

#66 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 09:41 AM

"City on the edge of forever" was shown late last night in my area but i missed most of it so didnt get to see the new CGI stuff. Since i missed most of it i just turned it off and went to bed. Wish they would run them earlier in the day. I wonder if they are selecting certain episodes for CGI enhancement or have they done them all over now?

#67 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 10:58 AM

QUOTE(VulcanFanatic @ Oct 15 2006, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"City on the edge of forever" was shown late last night in my area but i missed most of it so didnt get to see the new CGI stuff. Since i missed most of it i just turned it off and went to bed. Wish they would run them earlier in the day. I wonder if they are selecting certain episodes for CGI enhancement or have they done them all over now?

They're still cranking them out. It'll take two years to complete them all.

The order seems haphazard, but there is much speculation that they intersperse episodes with little opportunity for enhancement (like "City...") in with effects-heavy eps ("Doomsday Machine") to give the CGI crew a break.

This week was "Mudd's Women" and there weren't many updates.

#68 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 01:43 PM

I had just watched City on the Edge of forever on dvd the day before it came on tv here with the new cgi, and i noticed how scenes were missing from the little i saw of the episode that came on lat night. Its a real shame that shows have to be cut up like that. I am glad that i have them on dvd.

#69 DavAnthony

DavAnthony

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:11 PM

to be honest, between the cutting down of the episodes and the time they are showing it here in NJ (3:35 in the morning, plus they show an infomercial for the first 1/2 hour so you can't even see the whole show). I don't even bother looking for it or watching it.
They cut out so much character stuff from Balance of Terror that it just proved to me why so many shows are complete crap nowadays. All of the character development and depth of the show is cut out for the quick MTV shots of action.

#70 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 08:11 PM

I agree, and late nights here on the channel they are showing Star Trek on seem to show the same commercials over and over during the entire show. Why do i need to see the same commercial 25 times an hour? And sometimes back to back. Sometimes it seems like the show and commercials have switched places, the show is just a short break in between the commercials.

#71 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 12:05 PM

I'm not really going out of my way to watch these, since they are technically redone for HDTV and I don't have HD, I can wait until they are all done and release them on the format du jour (when I actually have a high def TV))

#72 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 02:08 PM

I am still waiting for them to be shown in my area.

#73 Captain Kidd

Captain Kidd

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 02:05 PM

I'm looking forward to getting the Remastered TOS on DVD when they get released by the end of this year. I have been looking at some of the CGIed pics on StarTrek.com and they are looking pretty good.

#74 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE(Captain Kidd @ Jan 23 2007, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm looking forward to getting the Remastered TOS on DVD when they get released by the end of this year. I have been looking at some of the CGIed pics on StarTrek.com and they are looking pretty good.

Has there been an announcement that the CGI TOS will be released on DVD by the end of the year?

#75 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:45 PM

From TheDigitalBits.com:
The Hollywood Reporter and Home Media Retailing quote CBS Home Entertainment head Ken Ross as saying that Star Trek: The Original Series is going to be released on DVD/HD-DVD Combo format at the end of 2007. "The reason we chose to do that is to give us the ability to make high-definition transfers of the show available to people who don't yet have high-definition players," Ross says in the interview.

#76 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 24 January 2007 - 12:36 AM

Interesting. I am mixed on this news. I haven't been keeping up with the HD-DVD technology. Heck, I didn't even know what Blue-Ray was until a couple of weeks ago. Are the Blue-Ray/HD DVD players backward compatible? I don't want to go out and buy the TOS set on regular DVD if they'll be completely replaced in a few years.

#77 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 16 February 2007 - 10:42 PM

If you are interested in seeing some of the remastered images compared to old footage and some previews for the remastered episodes. Startrek.com has an 'article' that lets those of us without the episodes and HD technology see whats going on.

I like a lot of what I see. Some of it I think was classic and wasn't necessary to change, but none of it seems in bad taste. I love the new shots of the Enterprise against the planet killer!

#78 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 08:34 AM

The new remastering and new effects really make the show more attractive to younger viewers who might otherwise be turned off by the grainy and less than spectacular original effects. I probably will buy a new set of the dvds once they are all redone and released, but im also glad i have the original intact episodes on dvd as well.

All in all, so far im glad that Paramount/CBS are making the effort to update the TOS a bit, and the new movie that seems to be set in TOS's era, so that Star Trek can be kept alive and available for new generations to enjoy, and to keep the collectibles coming for those of us that enjoy that sort of thing. All of the TOS stuff that DST is putting out seems to be working in concert with the efforts from paramount with the remastering of the series and new movie to definitely get interest up on TOS to reinvigorate the franchise.

#79 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 09:39 AM

The Doomsday Machine Remastered FX reel, with links to others.

#80 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:53 PM

I have still not seen one remastered episode shown in my area. I would realy like to see these too especialy after seeing The Doomsday Machine Remastered FX reel. Man it looks cool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users