• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 06:10 AM

Season 2 of the Orville is in production, and looks like they brought in some Trek Writing Alum! 

Joe Menosky jumps from ‘Discovery’ to ‘The Orville’... looks like Menosky has some pretty deep creds... with a good mix light and darker trek scripts... and some that are pretty acclaimed. 

I'm hoping this is good news, as overall I think Seasons 1 was a pretty good effort.

The great news is it sounds like they will be shooting pretty quick if not already.

#2 Damon1984

Damon1984

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 10:11 AM

MacFarlane already teased, that we could expect a lot more Sci-Fi in the second season. Menosky is the right guy/writer for that. In any case, it's going to be a long wait until fall. Really looking forward to the second season. I love this show so much. :)

#3 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 07:18 AM

Well Im throughly looking forward to this show. Its what I wanted Star Trek to be like on its return. Alas, Discovery... as good as you are, The Orville is definitely more my kind of Star Trek

Hoping for a successful 7 year run!

#4 Damon1984

Damon1984

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 07:33 AM

Hoping for a successful 7 year run!

+ 4 Movies! ;) :D

#5 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:16 AM

I hope any success that the Orville may have will show CBS/ Paramount that there is a lot of people that would rather have a return the TNG era of Star Trek and not the stupid Discovery crap that they have tried to pass off as real Star Trek.

#6 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:43 AM

+ 4 Movies! ;) :D

I think it would need to become a cultural phnom to make movies... and I can't see that happening... last sci-fi show that got close I think was Firefly... and that wasn't received well enough to garner more... but I'll enjoy it while its on, thats for sure!

#7 Damon1984

Damon1984

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 01:55 PM

Oh, I don't know. TNG managed to become a cultural phenomenon and Orville feels pretty similar in a lot of ways (and can partly build on that fanbase). I think they might have catched lightning in a bottle there. They just need to find their voice - so far the first season was a bit shaky in that regard. But I'm optimistic. Even with a shaky voice, they already had something to say. I could see it go either way.

(In any case, I hope it lasts long enough for action figures to be produced ;) :D :D)

#8 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 02:18 PM

The reason I don't see The Orville becoming a cultural phenomenon is because it is basically TNG. It isn't doing anything new or different, it just seems to be trying to appeal to those Star Trek fans that really want more TNG. 

While that isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's certainly a solid show, it just isn't anything special. 

I'm looking forward to season 2, I'm curious how the show will be after any feedback they may have gotten from season 1. Hoping it at least has a larger budget so different alien ships can be more than simple resizes. 

#9 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 02:33 PM

it's certainly a solid show, it just isn't anything special. 

thats my take too... its a fun show... but nothing too ground breaking yet IMO. I guess maybe I'm in the minority because lots of people say its like TNG... but they certainly haven't set it up like the federation... the morals aren't nearly as lofty... and Humans aren't all that... so aside from the generally upbeat scripts and colorful uni's it feels like a different thing from Trek and/or TNG to me. 

#10 Damon1984

Damon1984

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 02:57 PM

The reason I don't see The Orville becoming a cultural phenomenon is because it is basically TNG.

Yeah, and TNG spoke to a lot of people, did it not? I don't think Orville needs to reinvent the wheel. Quite the contrary. In the world of modern tv they are already kinda special and "new" by being old school and by depicting an - at it's core - optimistic and fun look at the future. I cannot speak for anyone else, of course, but while I enjoy shows like nBSG, I'm more than just a bit tired of all that bleekness and darkness. Especially in science fiction. When I watched TNG it always made me longe for that future and it made me want to build it because I wanted to live there. When I watch stuff like Stargate Universe, or Discovery or Expanse, all I can think is "thank god, I will be long dead by then". ;D In a time of constant stress and burnout, Orville is great escapism without being shallow.

Okay, becoming a cultural phenomenon like TNG is wishfull thinking, but... I think the potential viewership is there. Like I said, I could see it go either way. :)

#11 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 04:12 PM

Hey man, if they want to make low budge Orville movies, starring an Admirals Sir Patrick Stewart and William Shatner and Fleet Commander Jonathan Frakes Im there!

#12 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 04:29 PM

I think the only reason Orville is compared to TNG is because it's an episodic space based exploration sci-fi series. Other than that it's really not that similar, it just seems to be such a rare format for a show. The only reason TNG got movies is because there was this kind of expectation that they would follow the same path as TOS, in hindsight I think that was a mistake. I also think it would be a mistake for Orville since they are both using the same format.

#13 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 05:52 PM

I like Orville fine but Seth aint no Patrick Stewart, who was a major reason TNG made it big.

#14 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 05:58 PM

while I enjoy shows like nBSG, I'm more than just a bit tired of all that bleekness and darkness. Especially in science fiction.

Oh fer sure I agree... but more often than not... it seems great sci-fi has a some dystopian themes

#15 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 07:21 PM

I like Orville fine but Seth aint no Patrick Stewart, who was a major reason TNG made it big.

Seth MacFarlane is actually quite enjoyable in this series because he plays Seth MacFarlane as Captain Ed Mercer. Hes not pretending to be someone he isnt. Its what made William Shatners Captain Kirk so enjoyable to watch and why Shatner IS Captain Kirk and always will be despite Chris Pines great portrayal of William Shatners Kirk.

He isnt by any stretch of the imagination Sir Patrick Stewart but neither is he pretending to be Captain Picard.

#16 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 07:26 PM

while I enjoy shows like nBSG, I'm more than just a bit tired of all that bleekness and darkness. Especially in science fiction.

You are absolutely right and personally this is what Discovery has got so wrong. Trek should be the bastion of optimism and aspiration and while many stories in Trek were darker than others, the future was always a bright and optimistic place - that was the point of Star Trek. Discovery goes against that and whilst it might be a great show, The Orville is killing it by giving us the Star Trek series we should of got from Star Trek.

#17 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:25 PM

I agree with this. I get that Seth wanted to play captain, but I don’t think he has the acting chops to really pull it off. I think he is one of the weakest acted characters on the show.

I wouldn’t want him to try and act like Picard or Kirk, I would just want to have an actor as captain that has that kind of screen presence.

Using DISCO as an example, without Jason Isaacs Lorca would not have been nearly as interesting. He just has this gravitas to him.

#18 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 01:29 AM

Yeah, I too think Seth is actually a weak acting link... I look at million ways to die in the west as a great example... funny idea, great lead actress and supporting cast... but it fell flat, and it wasn't just the jokes, Seths acting was pretty flat IMO, but I do think he was improving in the Orville, and maybe thats because he's able to get some feedback of what works and what doesn't. Really this has been his biggest live acting gig to date, so his transition from animated stuff and producing has been a bit rocky, but he is actually a good producer... and that may be his biggest asset and strength to giving the Orville some longevity. 

#19 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:29 AM

Audiences are ready for light-hearted escapism. If The Orville can continue to deliver that, it should start gaining back the 59% of the viewership it lost since its debut.

#20 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 02:33 PM

Audiences are ready for light-hearted escapism. If The Orville can continue to deliver that, it should start gaining back the 59% of the viewership it lost since its debut.

I wonder though... if The Orville was a straight to subscription service series whether it would find a bigger audience than Discovery? I wonder if Discovery would of had as much success on network TV as it had on All Access and Netflix?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users