1324 replies to this topic

#1201 ShipNerd

ShipNerd

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:34 PM

Thank you Destructor!!!!

Yes that is indeed a Nemesis Mold with a different Artwork Azteca Scheme.

Going to Pass on this one.

ShipNerd.

#1202 Kyp Durron

Kyp Durron

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • Interests:ST props, models, and Lightsabers OH MY!

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:13 AM

It's different, it combines the simpler FC paint scheme with the (In my opinion) better Nemesis sculpt. Win-win.

-Kyp

#1203 Alex

Alex

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

It's different, it combines the simpler FC paint scheme with the (In my opinion) better Nemesis sculpt. Win-win.

-Kyp

Kyp, (and everyone else,) the FC Enterprise-E is available for preorder from BBTS right now. For those who are wondering, it's a "Previews Exclusive," as many suspected, so it should be available elsewhere as PX releases usually are. I like the FC/NEM "Hybrid" design that DST went with as well.

I'm still in need of paint for my custom NEM Enterprise-E, but as soon as I have it, I'm going to try and something worth photographing done. (Also needed to order something for my camera, so this is a win-win on the picture front too.)

By the way, random off-topic note that I just realized: The board upgrade no longer allows me to enter actual dashes when typing things like "Enterprise-E." I'm going to have to get used to subsituting them with the minus sign again.

#1204 DSTZach

DSTZach

I can stop I just don't want to.

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:18 PM

The First Contact E was always going to use the same tooling as the Nemesis, sorry if that wasn't clear to some people. I thought it came up a few times.

And Previews exclusives can be ordered by anyone with a Diamond Comics retailer account. So any comic shop. Http://www.comicshoplocator.com

#1205 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:26 PM

Well, my nephew sent me these images from his iPod:

gumnUIa.jpg

ZTDrTtl.jpg

02YA2tw.jpg

Now, having returned from the internet wasteland that is Spain, I just have to drive the 200km to his house to claim my E and B! I never expected the little guy to get his E first!

#1206 ShipNerd

ShipNerd

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:02 PM

Wow...Nice packages....

One thing I like about Starships on television or movies is the changes they make to the Ships over the Years.

This could be Battledamage, or flat out weapons upgrades.

I have three E's. And I think that is enough. If i had seen another sculpt I might of done four.

Nemesis had the E armed to the teeth. But they also If I recall correctly altered the Nacelle Struts a bit.

Since I completely forgot they have an Excelsior Toy, correctly depicted from the Enterprise B.  I'll save my $ for her, whenever she comes out.

I need to photograph my E, as I usually do. But here it seems to be done well already.

ShipNerd

#1207 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

Well, all things go with the windows and stuff. I've decided to take your advice Malloc, and use the

light-blue to alternate with the black, just to see what it's like. Truth be told, I really don't mind it -

also, being on a 'fresh' ship (and not one that has been 'smoked' lol) seems to make the blue seem

a touch-lighter. Either way, here's some pics of my progress for today - click for hi-res: 

t75h7rcl.jpg

o36pZx3l.jpg

Honestly, the blue isn't too bad in my opinion now, so I think I'll be sticking with it. I'm going to let the

ink dry a little bit (overnight) before coming back tomorrow and touching and cleaning it up

(smudges etc). 

DL2b5QCl.jpg 

Other than the middle window in the big group (which I'd already coloured black, before stopping

myself a few weeks ago and getting most of it off), I'm honestly chuffed with this. The colour shade

is definitely bang-on for the Refit's Arboretum, but I like how it jumps out here. It's not

screen-accurate, but it's not black, so I like it. :) 
Weird error with the windows, but they're so tiny, who cares?!

Next up (and the reason I didn't get more windows done), I removed the copyright notices. I decided to

try wet-sanding them off, and it worked superbly. I used the same sandpaper I use on my guitar frets,

so almost as ultra-fine as you can get, and the results speak for themselves. Click for hi-res: 

RED729ol.jpg

qUg6QWml.jpg

As I said above, I'm absolutely chuffed with this. T'will post more pictures when it's finished. :)

#1208 trek24

trek24

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:41 PM

Nice Jay K! Have you ever tried laying down some white first in the window and then going over it with the blue to make the blue pop out more? Just a suggestion. Of course it depends if you really want to make the blue very vibrant. Another thing you can try is to get some colored glow in the dark paint to make the windows glow at night.  If interested, you can usually find the multi-colored glow in the dark paints at a craft store in the kids section.  Thanks for sharing your updates. Look forward to seeing the end results. ^_^

#1209 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

What kind of pen do you guys use to do the windows?  Also what else can I use to get rid of the copyright instead of sand paper?  My rheumatoid arthritis makes it very hard to grip and hold things.

#1210 trek24

trek24

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:45 PM

What kind of pen do you guys use to do the windows?  Also what else can I use to get rid of the copyright instead of sand paper?  My rheumatoid arthritis makes it very hard to grip and hold things.

For the pens, many customizers have used Micron pens for the windows or to bring out the definition of panels. The ink is permanent and dries very quickly plus the tips come in very small fine point sizes.  Sharpies are good as well but the only issue with those is that their tips are usually big.

I don't know if anyone here has tried using nail polish remover non-acetone type to remove the copyright lettering. It's one of many methods to remove unwanted paint on action figures, tampo graphics/decals on diecast cars etc. and I have yet to try this on my Enterprise. If this method appeals to you, I would recommend taking your time and also before you get really heavy into it, just test out a small area (i.e. like a letter or two letters) just to see how the remover reacts to the plastic. If no marks or other surface damage is present, then rub away. ^_^ But basically you would take a q-tip or a soft cotton ball, dip some of the remover onto the cotton, rub lightly on the graphic to be removed. You might get a little bit of smearing but that's expected. Just take another soft rag and wipe away the excess. If there's still some smearing residual, you can go back in with the cotton swab with the remover and gently wipe it off.    I would think that if some have already used thinner to remove the copyright and had great success, I'm pretty sure the nail polish remover should be fine cause it's not as strong as paint thinner.  If you do try this, make sure that the nail polish remover is non-acetone.  Nail polish remover WITH acetone will eat the plastic or damage the surface.  Hope that helps or gives you one option. :) Has anyone here tried this method on their Enterprise?

#1211 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:20 PM

Hey trek24, yeah man, I tried using a white pen (Pilot Super Color White Extra Fine), but it was just too big for the windows on the E, and furthermore, made a horrible mess all over the top of my D (was excited when I got it, thought I'd try it on the D by going over a black one, and after getting it ready to use, ink/paint just poured out all over the place). Took me an hour to clean off. However, I did test it on my old E, and I won't lie, it looked great (save for the massive smudges of course), so if you can find a super-fine white pen, it'll look great (if you do by the way, make sure to post about it). ;) 

Qcjoe, I'm using a Staedtler 0.05 Pigment liner for the smaller windows, and also 2 LePens - one black, one 'light-blue'. I'm right-handed, and I've got a terribly-shaky hand for stuff like this, but like Malloc said earlier, you can just wipe off the smudges as you go. Bit of a pain in the bum in terms of time etc, but it's worth it (and really can be relaxing!). :)

#1212 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:59 PM

Thanks Jay and Trek.  Once mine ships Ill try to see what Im able to do on it.

#1213 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:26 PM

Hilarious captions (and awesomely clear close-up photography), Jay!

(I wonder how many other members here know what "bogs" are, in this context :P)

Now that I've finally got my E in hand (photobomb tomorrow, most likely), I keep getting utterly blown away by the tampo detail! I'm hesitant to meddle with the exterior paint now!

#1214 trekkier

trekkier

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:08 PM

My Ent E didnt have any of the copyright stuff on the nacelles, was that just a UK thing? Just curious...

#1215 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:34 PM

No dude, I'm UK as well. You're either lucky, have an ultra brand-new model (where a change has been implemented), or maybe have the old model? 

Also, this was just posted on Facebook: 
https://www.facebook...09671671&type=1

I'll be honest, I have no clue how accurate the paintjob is (quite honestly, as long as it looks 70% like the ship on screen, that's good enough for me), but I think it looks surprisingly nice with all the white. Infact, if I had the dosh/space to spare, I'd probably dip for this. Coloured-in windows would look fantastic on this version as a random aside! 

Also Zach, the picture you took of the aft end, those nacelles could do with a good old pinching. ;)

#1216 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

I saw that as well Jay.  You beat me to it damn it.  I wanted to be special lol.  The side by side made my decision.  I like the Nemesis version better.  Im glad that people do have a choice though.

#1217 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

When I heard about the FC version, I held off buying the new Nemesis version since I had the original EE from a few years ago and wanted some new sounds to go with the other upgrades.  But I find the FC paint job pretty bland.  I might pick up the new Nemesis version after all.

#1218 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:33 PM

Yep, I'm glad I stuck with the Nemesis version - Colour-wise, I think they strayed too far from the paint target in trying to differentiate it from the Nem edition - and there was no need to change the patterns, they're the same in FC and Nem, just a different colour scheme.

It's still a pretty ship - and looking at First Contact, she was pretty dang white in that film!

#1219 Kyp Durron

Kyp Durron

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • Interests:ST props, models, and Lightsabers OH MY!

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

I think they got the Nemesis much more accurate than the First Contact scheme, but I'll still get this as a uniqe variant.

1701-e-top.jpg

-Kyp

#1220 ryanlb

ryanlb

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:00 PM

While the First Contact version looks very nice, by itself, I really prefer the Nemesis version, especially with the two side by side, Nemesis version looks much more interesting.

But, the FC version is different enough that I might just have to get it. We'll see how much money I have when it hits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users