• Please log in to reply
1053 replies to this topic

#81 kerowack

kerowack

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:32 PM

I'm in, but I wish they would have done an alien with Kirk instead of khan. I don't like that selection, Spock is perfect. Now give us a damn janeway and a quark! These two always get the shaft!

#82 DavAnthony

DavAnthony

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE (JMW326 @ Oct 4 2012, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK. lets be real here for a minute. The old DST figures are nice and all but you cant get a decent natural looking action pose out of them for anything. So lets not start trying to call out the new ones because you don't like pre posed legs. At least when AA did the first TOS figures they put in thigh cuts and swivels at the boots along with torso articulation so you can get a better pose but with the DST stuff you are pretty much stuck with a standing straight up pose. I guess that is great for a either a standing group shot or a transporter display but not much of anything else. I like them but I also like the new ones too. I say we give them a chance. If you absolutely don't like them then don't buy them. These have articulation and no matter how people may define them to themselves these are still action figures.

I say instead of complaining about what you don't want. Since we know this is the direction they are going lets talk about what figures and bases we would like to see from throughout Trek. These have a lot of potential to be something cool.

We know we will get at least one Kirk and Spock a year which will probably pay for the other figures so who do you want to see? What version of Kirk or Spock would you like to see?

Maybe a two part guardian of forever base that each half comes with Kirk and Spock or McCoy.

Nazi uniform Kirk and Spock

Gangster Kirk and Spock
A proper TWOK Spock death scene Kirk and Spock

And for the rest how about: Janeway and the head of the borg queen being lowered to a static body
7 or 9 in her Alcove.

Sisko and Dukat fighting with a cave display

Picard and an injured Dathon with a camp fire base

Quark and a section of his bar with a static Morn on a bar stool

This is supposed to be a fun hobby for us. Lets have fun with it. Just because this is an internet forum does not mean we always have to argue and complain about everything.

I was and am being "real". To "me" they are not action figures so I won't be buying them. For anyone who does like them then by all means ENJOY. My dislike for this direction is actually a positive for me since I don't have any feeling or "pull" to buy them, thus saving me money. It is also a positive for those who collect since they will be getting items they like. So I'm not sure if your comment was directed to me fully but I don't believe my comments are sucking the air out of any one's balloon.

#83 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:18 AM

QUOTE (Artistix @ Sep 23 2012, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
please, wake me if they do ever show my beloved nurse. Actually scratch that...wake me if you actually see her ON STORE SHELVES. Prototypes mean nothing.

Me two... err too!

#84 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:21 AM

I for one dont have to give anything a chance. I gave DST a chance a long time ago by buying cases of figures in the hopes that we would see fan demanded figures only to be teased with prototypes that never saw the light of day. These figures are below what I expect a decent toy to look like in todays market at that price range. Its below the standard of what DST puts out itself with Marvel Select. Why should I accept anything less than what MOTUC, DCUC, MS, ML, or DCD puts out? These figures will be topping $25 after shipping. Because of these prices I have had to become very chosey as to what toys I actually buy. To be honest Id rather spend my money elsewhere on a line that is fully articulated as opposed to this almost "staction" line.

#85 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:31 PM

Typical Internet mentality. What a shock. No one can enjoy anything anymore.

#86 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:31 PM

I enjoy plenty of lines MOTUC, Mattels WWE, DSTS ship offerings, NECAs Predator line, Marvel Universe, GI Joe, and Star wars. You know why I enjoy them...because I feel that the company is giving the me what I want and producing figures that meet my expectations for what an action figure in my opinion is supposed to be in 2012. I guess if thats a typical internet mentality then I would choose that mentality over whatever yours is.

I have not been short on praise around here WHEN it is warranted. I do not also shy away from criticism because it may ruffle feathers. Thats what these boards are for to get a variety of opinions on various topics. No one is preventing you from buying these or are saying that you are in some way inferior for doing so. I am saying that I will not be buying these but for some reason you want to look down on me for doing so.

#87 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE (JMW326 @ Oct 7 2012, 06:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Typical Internet mentality. What a shock. No one can enjoy anything anymore.

Well there's a conversation killer.

I won't be posting in here anymore.

#88 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:04 AM

A plague of locusts cursed on anyone not wanting to buy these action figures!!!!! mwuhahahahahahaaaaa.

I think its down to personal choice. You either like them enough to pick them up or you don't.

As a business decision, it makes perfect sense for DST to do Star Trek figures this way. The people going to be interested in these will most likely only ever want to display them, these are perfect for display yet whilst not fully articulated they offer a lot of choices for different poses for the consumer to play around with. In terms of display-ability which any way you swing it, the old AA/DST line was not up to the 2012 standard of quality, detail and yes, articulation.

As for what makes a great action figure in 2012 well that depends on the property the figure is based on and the person buying the figure. In my opinion these look a lot better than the previous DST Trek action figures... Iconic diorama bases, energetic poses and interchangeable parts to do with them as you please and just enough articulation in the neck, shoulders and arms to get some cool poses out of these very episode specific action figures.

As for other properties, I don't think classic Star Trek is really in a league with Marvel super-heroes, which need a lot of articulation to get them in dynamic and super-hero poses. For an action figure line based on OLD TV series like any of the classic Trek's where a character is either mostly standing still or sitting down, these offer a dynamic pose in an iconic and memorable scene from the episodes - this is an awesome idea.

If we were talking about action figures for kids then sure articulation comes first because kids want to play with their action figures and have them interact with play sets, vehicles and what not but for fans beyond the days of actually playing with the figures, then displaying them is what you'll want to do with them and in my opinion, having these figures already in dynamic poses, not falling over with the slightest of knocks, is going to look far better displayed than having them all lined up which is all you could really do with the old DST line.

#89 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:43 PM

New pictures have gone up on Facebook - nothing worhty of mention in the comments, but we can see the alternate Spock head:

#90 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:45 AM

I think they look pretty good, still cant do Kirk's face right though.

#91 A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:54 PM

I like the Spock figure. Can't say the same for Kirk. Would've been nice if they had a Kirk in the command chair instead doing that famous leaning on one arm pose of his. Oh well.

#92 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE (Destructor!!! @ Oct 15 2012, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
New pictures have gone up on Facebook - nothing worhty of mention in the comments, but we can see the alternate Spock head:

Awesome. Now I can finally complete my custom "Spock trying to squeeze out a dump the size of a Horta egg" diorama!

#93 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:32 AM

The Horta is far too small and does remind me of that giant turd in Jurassic Park "That is one big pile of...."

However the screen used creature looked like moving poo anyway so its accurate just needs to be bigger - as action figures go, both of these surpass anything DST put out after TNG series 1 (Riker/Worf)

#94 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:43 AM

QUOTE (1701 @ Oct 17 2012, 06:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Horta is far too small and does remind me of that giant turd in Jurassic Park "That is one big pile of...."

Thanks for reminding me; the Horta already looks like diarrhea... I guess my custom is going to be pretty easy; just rotate Spock 180 degrees. biggrin.gif

#95 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:34 PM

You know, if they make a couple more sets with engineering bases, we could have a pretty damn awesome diorama.

As it is we'll have a great place to display Scotty!

#96 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:57 PM

My vote for the next one, if it is non classic would be Tasha Yar vs Armus!

#97 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:23 PM

QUOTE (BadBunnyMike @ Nov 19 2012, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My vote for the next one, if it is non classic would be Tasha Yar vs Armus!

I can't tell you how amazing I would find that! Love, love, love this idea! Planet Hell backdrop, she could either be standing there with her phaser at the ready, or flying through the air with that weird splotch on her face. I would pre-order the heck out of this.

#98 VorlonKosh

VorlonKosh

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE (weyoun_9 @ Nov 20 2012, 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't tell you how amazing I would find that! Love, love, love this idea! Planet Hell backdrop, she could either be standing there with her phaser at the ready, or flying through the air with that weird splotch on her face. I would pre-order the heck out of this.

I would so buy that! That has got to be one of the most memorable scenes in Star Trek ever!...the permanent death of a main character, you have never seen that before. Count me in for 21 votes, one for each digit!

#99 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:49 AM

I know this is a far fetched idea but I think it would be super cool to have some sort of STS figure based on the Star trek Online game. The new Klingon armor in that game would make an amazing scuplt!

#100 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

While I can't see it happening, I would love to get Tasha & the Metamucil creature!

It would be cool to have her displayed flying through the air.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users