• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 03:46 PM

Lots of chatter about the forthcoming sequel to Blade Runner...

I have to admit, I'm not sure what or where they really need to go... so yeah... my feeling was that the chance for doing better than the original is really a long shot... still... I like that Gosling and Villeneuve went into the project knowing that, and it sounds like they gave it a go... myself I never cared if Deckard was a replicant or not... but the trailers and buzz have me a intrigued. Blade Runner is 1st and foremost an art movie and the pinnacle of in-camera special effects. We really only dabbled in that world... and it'll be interesting to see if 2049 adds to it or shatters it. 

http://www.hollywood...failure-1015019

#2 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 10:21 PM

LOVE Blade Ruuner! And can't wait for this movie,looks gorgeous! I have to admit though,first time I saw BR I didn't like it much. SOOO slow and boring,but over the years it's become one of my fave sf movies EVER! And about time someone picked up the license to do some merch from BR! I hope they'll do both old and new,I REALLY need a Spinner in my collection!

#3 richpit

richpit

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek toys, Star Trek props, Star Trek stuff in general!

Posted 02 July 2017 - 09:17 PM

I've never seen it.  All I know is that a lot of people love it and my older brother thought it was horrible when he saw it in the 80's!

#4 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:14 AM

Blade Runner is one of those movies that was not well received originally by critics or the the movie going patrons when it first came out.

But now, its generally listed as #2... right behind 2001 a Space Odyssey... on most list of best Sci-fi Films of all times.

Siskel and Ebert both generally panned it when it came out in '81, and ten years later (in '92) Siskel did a flip based on the release of the directors cut... Ebert to his credit, stuck by his original review.

I've always liked the movie, and took it for a straight forward time honored questioning of our own mortality and "what does it all mean" kinda plot. 

I think many people try and read too much into it, or maybe convince themselves its more than it is. Like 2001 though... it does completely immerse you in a world of the future... and I think it still stands up to this day,.

#5 richpit

richpit

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek toys, Star Trek props, Star Trek stuff in general!

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:04 PM

Maybe I need to see the original before this remake / sequel / whatever it is comes out. 

#6 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:20 PM

Didn't Blade Runner come out in 1982? I remember the double issue of my Cinefantastique mag had Blade Runner and some Trek movie....LOL! Two different covers,one on each side,no need to buy two copies! lol!

I have a feeling seeing the original before this new one would be a good move,as it looks like,from the trailer,that it's a sequel where Gosling's character is looking for Deckard,etc.

#7 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 02:19 AM

Yeah... '82 I was going by a review I saw by  Siskle and Ebert and it posted as '81, but its probably wrong.

The only issue if you've never seen it is which version should you watch?! Basically Critics flipped because of the directors cut, but then they did a "final" cut. I typically watch the final cut due to the technical improvements.

#8 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 11:06 PM

So... early reviews are out... which is always a good sign because if its going to be panned they don't typically want them to be released.

The critics love it. Almost universal acclaim at this point!

Meta Critic has a 84 with almost 30 reviews... and that strong strong start! 

I'm def in for seeing this opening weekend. 

#9 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 05:00 AM

A number of reviews are equating this, as a sequel, in the the range of Gofather II and T2... superior to the 1st in every way!

RT has it at 95%, and its sure to be "certified fresh"... I'm still waiting to see what my bell weather critics have to say as their review isn't up yet.

#10 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 06:52 AM

The reviews certainly aren't keeping me away. I was planning on seeing it anyway but now it's a sure thing. Now if only some company could offer Minimates based on the franchise.

#11 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 07:52 AM

Oh yeah... I was gonna go see it no matter... but this does have me more excited for it.

I'm getting the bug for a Decker prop gun... probably gonna want some role play from this too!

#12 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 11:37 AM

Every time I think of Deckard's gun I picture his mangled fingers. But  yeah, very cool prop!

http://futurewarstor...ds-blaster.html

#13 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 08:52 AM

Speaking of props:

http://toynewsi.com/...39&itemid=29839

#14 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 08:59 AM

Aaaaaw! I'm all a excited to see what it'll be! I'm sure I'll want it!

#15 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 02:27 PM

Just got back from seeing it in iMax. 

I enjoyed it. It def built upon the original and was very true to it. Its long. Very long... and its def a "detective" story much like the original but has a good bit of action weaved together with the dialog. If you didn't like the original... or don't like lots of dialog, it may not be for you.

I'm trying to decide if its better than the original or not... its like The Godfather and Godfather II... the sequel can't exists without the original, but the sequel answer many questions, and does it in just a fantastic way!

#16 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 05:26 PM

I'm planning to see this, maybe tomorrow. I saw the original in it's original release and thought it was good. Definitely different but good just the same.

#17 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 02:38 PM

I was re-watching the original (they are re-broadcasting it), and I think I'm in the camp that overall.. as a film telling a story 2049 is the better of the two. In part because it can essentially stand alone but at the same time is very respectful to, and builds on the original. Some items that stand out are how in the original the detective has to explain to Deckard the job he already does... but they do it to fill in the back story of replicants. 2049 explains upfront what you need to know and allows you to learn "on the job" so to speak. 

I think the cinematography of both are about even... but I'm going to give an edge to the original Vangelis soundtrack. They are both beautifully shot IMO. 

#18 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7" Star trek action figures.

Star trek & writing fan fiction.

Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:02 AM

I am probably a heretic, but I far preferred the original version of the 1982 Bladerunner (I have one of those special collectors editions with the Director's Cut and special features). I feel it's closer to Dick's novel. I haven't seen 2049 yet and will probably get it on DVD.

I seem to recall the 1982 film being panned by the critics and regarded as a failure for a few years before being hailed as a groundbreaking masterpiece and prototype for a whole slew of dark and dystopian movies.

The Vangelis soundtrack was astonishing and added so much to the feel if the movie. I am not sure I will like this as much and when I first heard that there was another Bladerunner movie in production, my first reaction was "Why?"

#19 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 11:25 AM

The special ed DVD I have has  4 versions...

1. The original US theatrical cut

2. The original International Theatrical cut

3. The Directors Cut, and

4. The Final Cut

So you like the original Theatrical cut best? US or International?

I kinda fancy the Final Cut version, which is like the international release but has the full unicorn dream sequence. 

I do agree that I thought this movie was only going to go one of two ways... and badly was my bet... but I actually really liked it.

Of course history seems to have repeated itself in-so-much as the new one hasn't been commercially successful. But neither was the the original to begin with. 

#20 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 07:34 AM

The Vangelis soundtrack was astonishing and added so much to the feel if the movie. I am not sure I will like this as much and when I first heard that there was another Bladerunner movie in production, my first reaction was "Why?"

Same here but when fellow fans wanted a spoiler-free review of the movie, I used one word; beautiful. That seems to be a commonly used adjective for this film, and not just for aesthetic reasons.

One of those fans just introduced me to the EMS Recombination of Vangelis' soundtrack for the original and it's pretty impressive. I strongly recommend looking it up if you haven't already.

BREMS_front1.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users