Photo

World's First Franken-Comm Of It's Kind?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kyp Durron

Kyp Durron

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • Interests:ST props, models, and Lightsabers OH MY!

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:42 AM

Maybe.  :P

This comm uses parts from the MR, STTE, AND DST comms.  :lol:

Main (Top?) shell is from the STTE comm, as is the mid plate, moire ring, and antenna lid. The battery cover and clear moire disk is from a DST. Now for the heart of the comm, that's right, the battery holder, motor w/moire disk AND SOUND BOARD, ALL MR, baby.  B) It also uses the MR control knobs and control plate as well. 

How did this comm come to be, you ask? Well, it was a combination of things. First, I had an extra STTE comm that was mostly intact, but I was going to put the DST sound board in there. But that looked like too much of a PITA (The connection points on the board were different, and I'm no electronics expert), so it was put on the back burner. 

Then on day as I was browsing Ebay, lo and behold, a seller was selling this : 

MRCommParts_zpsc6aa5e46.jpg

$85 was well worth it to me as something like this doesn't come up often on Ebay.

But I needed a back battery cover, since the STTE one would have that starfleet delta pattern cut out that would look awful (I didn't have a STTE delta shaped hail button) with no button underneath. Then I looked at the battery cover for the DST and noticed that even the hair cell pattern was identical to the STTE top shell, so I went with that.

I should mention that those MR parts also included the oval shaped hail button, so I could try and cut out a hole for it in the DST bottom shell, I'll try that at some point if/when I feel like it.

Now for the pics and video of it in action : 

PICT0511_zps48a6a7d6.jpg

PICT0513_zps69ae0946.jpg

PICT0515_zpsb603016e.jpg

PICT0516_zps71f27c7a.jpg

And last but not least, a short video of the comm in action :

I believe this is the first Franken-Comm of it's kind to use parts from all three versions of the fat bottom comm first released by MR, if anyone knows of one that was built before this one, let me know. Otherwise, I'm taking credit for having the first Franken-Comm of it's kind.  :P

#2 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 03:34 AM

Wow ....Great job !!!   It's the best of three worlds !!!

#3 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:18 AM

That's pretty nice. I have an STTE comm, and always thought its was pretty good. Some one correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the STTE comm was molded from the MR comm?

Was there really that much of a difference between the STTE and DST moire disk?

#4 Kyp Durron

Kyp Durron

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:21 PM

Yep, the STTE is literally an MR comm, only built cheaper. The wiring, and even switch mechanism is the same. 

A slight update, the comm now uses the STTE's back shell, I found the STTE hail button, so I de-soldered the wires from  the MR;s battery holder chasis, and attached them to the STTE's so I could use the STTE's back shell. So now the hail button feature works, but I'm still using the DST moire lens, so it's still using parts from all three. :P

And yes, the DST lens sits higher up in the moire ring than the STTE or MR's do, which is fine, because there's now enough space that I don't ever have to worry about the disk rubbing up against the lens and ruining the graphic on the clear lens.

#5 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:30 AM

ah. thanks! and Yeah... love the hailing option on the STTE comm. The the original price, I think it was like $100, it's one of my fav's

#6 Kyp Durron

Kyp Durron

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 12:34 PM

The MR's hailing button feature works differently from the STTE, the STTE's hail button when pressed, immediately makes the hail call sound, where the MR's hail feature has a delay. Press and release the button, and about 5 seconds later, the hail sounds off.

#7 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:53 PM

Kyp, can you tell me, is there enough space in the DST communicator to put a 1" magnet in it, preferably near the top. Would it interfere with the electronics?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users