Photo

Why were the galoob tng line cancelled so quick?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE (JonWes @ Jun 14 2009, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, I never realized! Too bad about it being even more over-sized. Huh. I guess there was so much coming out towards the end, and my only source of what was coming out was really what I saw in stores and the occasional mention in a magazine. I didn't realize they had made a Laser Pistol from The Cage until I saw it on Ebay not long ago.

The Playmates portion of the NFC site has everything old that came out. Not the best pictures in the world, BUT....that will be changing for sure.

#22 padrig

padrig

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:11 PM

also they came out in season 1 and people did not like season 1 and was more popular later

#23 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:03 PM

Hmmm...thought I read that Galoob planned the second year of toys, but retailers had only allocated shelf space for micro machines that year so the figures were cancelled.

I wouldn't say Galoob weren't invested in the line when they had that amazing bride playset planned! That would have been soo cool.

I recall there was a retailer who ended up with so many Riker figures that they drew beards on them & sold them as Season 2 versions!

#24 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:55 PM

Right, it was ....... um.......... dang, I'm getting old. They even started giving them away with an order.

#25 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:20 PM

Asked the folks on Playtrek.

They said the company who did the season 2 Rikers was The Intergalactic Trading Co.

According to resident Trek expert Ian McLean, the Galoob figures sold quite well. The problem was Riker. Rikers everywhere! soo many Rikers left on pegs that the second wave (all Aliens) was only produced in small numbers & retailers did not order any more figures after that as Riker was still around.

That's the problem with heavy packing the 'popular' characters. No Harry Potter lines seem to last long because Harry himself is so overpacked in boxes stores cannot get rid of them.

#26 Smitty

Smitty

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:14 AM

I found the die-cast Enterprise and the main characters ie main crew Picard, Riker, Data, Geordi and Worf.

Found the Selay and Antican at a sci-fi collector shop year later. Still on card without their soft goods cloaks.

-cs

#27 Lord Mudd

Lord Mudd

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:Collecting 1/18 scale action figures: Star Trek, sci fi, and superheroes- Warhammer.

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:05 PM

It is funny now that there were so many Rikers then. "A fist full of Rikers." Hahahahahaha. You can take the Riker, paint a beard on him, and paint the shirt yellow to have the Thomas Riker clone. Paint Picard blue for the Tapestry version, and Worf went from red to yellow after Yar died, as did Geordie.

I always tried to keep an original even though the colors were too dark. I think that may have been another problem with the line, the colors were not accurate. There is also a Borg pvc that is the right scale and looks good with them. If you get multipules, you can make alcoves for them and have the crew invade the Borg ship.

CCC.

#28 skeletor

skeletor

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:16 PM

Those look nice! smile.gif I love the steps you have them displayed on! Where did you get it?

I always loved the Galoob figures, they weren't all BAD!
Their bodies looked a lot like the actors shape and size.

#29 Lord Mudd

Lord Mudd

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:Collecting 1/18 scale action figures: Star Trek, sci fi, and superheroes- Warhammer.

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE (skeletor @ Sep 7 2012, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Those look nice! smile.gif I love the steps you have them displayed on! Where did you get it?

I always loved the Galoob figures, they weren't all BAD!
Their bodies looked a lot like the actors shape and size.

Made it from museum board, not really that hard to do, just not very durable when you keep packing and unpacking it.

CCC.

#30 Lord Mudd

Lord Mudd

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE (Smitty @ Jun 1 2012, 05:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I found the die-cast Enterprise and the main characters ie main crew Picard, Riker, Data, Geordi and Worf.

Found the Selay and Antican at a sci-fi collector shop year later. Still on card without their soft goods cloaks.

-cs

#31 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

I used to order from Intergalactic Trading Co. way back in the day too. Here's where you can find them today:

http://www.intergalactictrading.com/

Holy crap I remember them.  Back in the day when I lived in Indiana I would order stuff from them.

#32 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:49 AM

From their site:

sttyx040.jpg

Where have you been all my life!?

#33 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Custom Ships and Playsets

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:22 AM

I have one of those inflatable Enterprise D's. It's bloody huge!

#34 Gi Jeff

Gi Jeff

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Star Trek, indiana jones and DC superheroes.

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:04 PM

I remember the catalog pages for the bridge.
That was to be an Awsome playset.
I found the entire crew at kaybees in the early 90's on clearance for 1.99.
Same for the Enterprise.
I am on the lookout for the aliens if anyone has any extras.
I loved this line. Was a child of the vintage Star Wars era and I just love that scale.

#35 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:40 AM

I have always been fond of these little guys. I still have the main crew that was released but never got around to getting the aliens. I like how they were all in scale to each other but was never crazy about the 90 degree bend in the one arm. I wish they would have made a few more.

#36 Bryan

Bryan

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

Intergalactic Trading was my go to order place back in the day. I still remember the catalogs I'd get in the mail from them. It was that dark paper and always had the dragon on the cover.

#37 Gi Jeff

Gi Jeff

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Star Trek, indiana jones and DC superheroes.

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:48 PM

I too remember those catalogs.

#38 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:51 PM

Intergalactic Trading was my go to order place back in the day. I still remember the catalogs I'd get in the mail from them. It was that dark paper and always had the dragon on the cover.

I still have a bunch of them...and they had the Crappy pictures of the toys haha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users