ASK DST 233

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:24 PM

http://www.artasylum...i-fi-via-wi-fi/

If I go by my assumptions I've read DSTChuck's reply to the next Star Trek prop like this:

Next Trek Tech will be a TNG Phaser!

Also I sensed some love for Enterprise (Hopefully we'll see DST re-running the Art Asylum NX-01) 

Loved the fact they've considered a Borg Cube!!!! Make that one so!

#2 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:21 PM

I would love a TNG Phaser as well as the cube.

#3 VorlonKosh

VorlonKosh

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:30 PM

looks like Chuck mis-read the question about producing Star Wars SIZED action figures (for Star Trek)...he replied by saying they are not allowed to make Star Wars figures.

Zach, has there ever been talks about producing smaller sized Star Trek figures?

#4 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:33 PM

looks like Chuck mis-read the question about producing Star Wars SIZED action figures (for Star Trek)...he replied by saying they are not allowed to make Star Wars figures.

Zach, has there ever been talks about producing smaller sized Star Trek figures?

There were talks about a 3/34 line...it was going to be a joint venture between Playmates and DST actually. They were going to start with the Classic Series (obviously) but then the 2009 movie Playmates line bombed and i guess the talks went the way of the dinosaur.

#5 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:00 PM

I'd love to see a TNG Phaser by DST, especially the cobrahead.  Even better if they made a holster for it.  Though I'm most hoping their next phaser is the FF/TUC phaser pistol.

#6 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:55 PM

Im really hoping they make the First Contact Phaser or the Nemesis Phaser....  I have to admit though a Cricket Phaser with Dustbuster or Cobrahead Two pack would be awesome.

#7 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:38 PM

I want the FC phaser myself...the ones that MAster Replicas did...oh man that thing was beautiful.

#8 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:54 PM

Im not sure why companies look at products not doing well and thinking what they would do would fail as well.  The 2009 line was not good and my opinion was pure garbage.  The way the line set up was good, but the final products not so much.  If they stay away from retail and do things the way they are now they would sell.  

#9 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:22 PM

:lol:  More enraged Chapel & Rand questions I see!

DSTChuck: All I can say is there is no conspiracy here against the fans, where DST sees a product that can sell and would sell more than enough to make money and we rub our hands together and cackle with glee over our insidious plan.
It takes in excess of 10K sales of a single figure for us to make money on an action figure and we’ve seen nothing to show us that those figures would sell anywhere near there, sorry.

This is bizarre:

Rob B.
i’ve noticed one or two people have asked you about producing smaller star wars size action figures – wow what a great idea – i can only imagine the standard of figures you could produce , it would be a dream come true for a full star trek line , a complete motion picture set etc – i do hope this is something you will consider !

DSTChuck: There is NO chance we are allowed to make a mass distributed line of action figure for Star Wars – it would be a BLAST, but while we never say never, this is as close as you can get.

Liked these answers:

Brandon S.
Was so happy with the last line of Star Trek Minimates. Janeway, Seven, Borg Queen, etc. Will there be more coming? Feeling like Star Trek isn’t getting much love these days in the toy lines.

DSTChuck: I think it’s very possible we’ll see more Minimates, but nothing is in the works right now.

Dan G.
Are there plans for any 8 inch retro Star Trek figures in the near future? Thank you

DSTChuck: It’s not yes and it’s not no… the talks for that line are ongoing RIGHT now… so we’ll see.

Interesting...

Im not sure why companies look at products not doing well and thinking what they would do would fail as well.  The 2009 line was not good and my opinion was pure garbage.  The way the line set up was good, but the final products not so much.  If they stay away from retail and do things the way they are now they would sell.  

I think it's the retailers who were scared off because of Playmates 2009 figures, not DST.

#10 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:37 PM

Wow, fingers crossed (scratch that - everything crossed!) for some TNG Trek Tek.

#11 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:43 PM

we'll have to see in Feb at Toyfair

#12 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:43 PM

Yes, please yes! An FC/Ins/DS9 s4-on/Voy s2-on phaser - aka the "boomerang" phaser - aka "the bendy-handled one".

The Insurrection version of this phaser by Playmates is one of my favourite Trek tech toys, but is still quite wide of the mark. DST have the attention to detail to do it right.

Even if it is one of the other TNG-era phasers, I'll be very happy - and if the settings buttons make that little trilling noise when you press them - I will squee. That's right, squee.

Plus, once the electronics for one TNG Phaser are down, it's just a matter of different casings - they all behaved essentially the same.

And the natural follow-on product is obviously the TNG-era Tricorders, for whom the same thing applies.

I just read through the AskDST, and yeah, he was definitely hinting pretty hard about a TNG phaser.

Really nice to see Trektoy.com get a mention!

And yes, his misinterpretation of the Star Wars-sized Trek figures question is bit of a head-scratcher. Awkwardly worded it was, but clear, the intent was.

I think it’s great that there are folks that collect our products with such passion that they want to take time out of their day to collect them and ask questions about what they want to see or how something is made or how decisions come about. I have done SO many of these I think it’s fantastic that we have this dialogue still after all this time.

Hear hear, Chuck!

#13 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:28 AM

I would LOVE a DST TNG phaser!! 

#14 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:57 AM

If a TNG phaser is next, it will be my first ever Star Trek role play item from DST

#15 tuvok47

tuvok47

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:22 AM

Boomerang phaser.  Yes yes yes!  I have the MR one and would still buy a boatload of DST's version.  Who wouldn't want a DS9 style weapons locker mounted to the wall full of phasers?

A handful of variant versions as well.  Silver with green power meters from Voyager, silver with green and red power meters and little black square decals from DS9, darker gray variant with red trigger button from First Contact.  Would love to see a holster come with these too, even if it ups the MSRP a bit.

A natural progression would be the companion tricorder.  I think the Mark IX and X had a similar body style, would just require different stickers.  Medical version with hand scanner could be an exclusive.  All sorts of possibilities. 

Now, if they can ever figure out how to squeeze electronics into an accurately sized TNG/Voyager style com badge we'll be all set! 

#16 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:09 PM

Yeah, I think DST's Trek Tech has been a real high point. Not everything came out perfect, but for the price point most oten they have been a real value and a ton of fun! I have phasers, and communicators and tricorders galor! Some DS9 gear would be awesome!

#17 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:10 AM

I personally love DSTs Trek Tek.... From the beginning when I bought the Enterprise Phase Pistol and Communicator all the way to now with the Klingon Disruptor.... Every piece has been fantastic IMHO....  I have to say to date though my favorite piece is the Exclusive TMP Phaser....

I would really like the Boomerang Phaser from First Contact ....but I also think DST could do more with the Dolphin Phaser from Nemesis as it has an opening cowl that reveals working energy cells..... I honestly will be diappointed if they choose the Cobrahead as this is one of my least favorite Phaser designs from TNG.....

#18 tuvok47

tuvok47

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:08 PM

Yeah the dolphin would have that cool interactive play feature, and they could also get a variant out of the mold by repainting as the future phaser from Voyager's "Endgame."  I'd still like to see the boomerang first though.

#19 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:38 AM

Hit me with whatever Phaser you like from TNG+ era. I'd love a Boomerang to go with my EFX Tric, but I'd absolutely love a Dolphin - especially if like you guys said, it opened up to reveal the glowing power cells, a la the Phase Pistol (that one toy alone, made me love Enterprise, when I got it as a young teen lol).

But yes, give me anything from TNG era. Phasers, Trics, and letting myself dream for a moment - phaser rifles. lol :)

#20 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:15 AM

I'd want the classic TV series TNG phaser from Season 3 onwards. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users