• Please log in to reply
284 replies to this topic

#41 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 11:10 PM

My opinion, and I honestly believe this is truth.....1. Tom Sasser ( DSTs known prototyper who posts here from time to time.) has been Ill ( I hope he is well now BTW.) 2. DST didn't have as good of a prototyper on standby so they have been waiting or trying to find someone else. 3. All bets are off until an actual ship prototype is made. 4.The powers that be at DST have been going back and forth on a number of issues, including the ships themselves,trying to figure things out.

I really think DST planned on having a ship(s) ready for NYCC 14..... It probably was as big of a disappointment to them as it is to us that they couldn't have a big reveal... They are just behind schedule.

We may want to look at them as bad guys sometimes because they don't always deliver on time.... But I think they want to see new ships just as bad as we do.

I think at this point Chuck and Zach are most likely more certain about aspects of development but the reason so much was denied and confirmed earlier is that DST wasn't sure what they were going to do...

Again this is just my opinion based on facts and also demonstrates that I have way too much time on my hands LOL.

#42 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 11:22 PM

Well one of those were certainly not denied,or confirmed,at NYCC,lol. I'm still just bummed they won't make the one I mentioned yesterday.

Yeah Storm,I totally get that. One of the reasons I moved on too. Just rebooting certain things in my life like I do every few years. I've become incredibly picky with what I bother to buy these days. I still love cheap crap,and I still love getting toys,but it's all so bland nowadays I just end up with incredibly expensive stuff from the 70's or 80's,lol! Stuff that Jordan,that Toy Hunter guy,has at his booth at NYCC every year. Paying that much for some of his stuff almost makes me wanna venture into the Hot Toys stuff,but I still can't justify the price point. But I will say that they aren't really toys......I never hear of people actually PLAYING with them,lol.....they're more high end expensive items. And they look great on display!

There's a lot of stuff I wish DST would do,but most of it will never happen. Not in my lifetime anyways,lol! I talked with Zach about Lost in Space and the Marvel Select stuff,as I do actually like a lot of the MS stuff. But they've done my two,well three actually,items that I always wanted,and they are neither Trek nor MS,and two more are coming later,so I don't care what they do next anymore. Maybe it's something I'll love,maybe it's just something I don't really want. Plain and simple.

And J? Love the pic of Garak! lol! One of my fave characters on DSN.

J-R!

#43 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 11:24 PM

LOL Prometheus! Thing is,you're actually right.

J-R!

#44 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 11:27 PM

About everything? or the fact that that I have waaay too much time on my hands... LOL

#45 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 11:36 PM

Both. LOL! Nah,about DST. Sounds almost like you were there when I was talking with Zach,up to a certain point at least. They REALLY wanna have something to show for TF in February though.

J-R!

#46 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 11:45 PM

Cool..... Cant wait for the reveal...I am trying not to get too worked up about the ships as DST can't help that the prototyper became Ill.... Stuff happens.

#47 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 11:49 PM

True that! The spice of life.

Talking about too much free time.....back to my Earthcam of Times Square,and Hollywood Blvd.,LOL! Yeah,missing the US a lot right now.

J-R!

#48 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:03 AM

My opinion, and I honestly believe this is truth.....1. Tom Sasser ( DSTs known prototyper who posts here from time to time.) has been Ill ( I hope he is well now BTW.) 2. DST didn't have as good of a prototyper on standby so they have been waiting or trying to find someone else. 3. All bets are off until an actual ship prototype is made. 4.The powers that be at DST have been going back and forth on a number of issues, including the ships themselves,trying to figure things out.

I really think DST planned on having a ship(s) ready for NYCC 14..... It probably was as big of a disappointment to them as it is to us that they couldn't have a big reveal... They are just behind schedule.

We may want to look at them as bad guys sometimes because they don't always deliver on time.... But I think they want to see new ships just as bad as we do.

I think at this point Chuck and Zach are most likely more certain about aspects of development but the reason so much was denied and confirmed earlier is that DST wasn't sure what they were going to do...

Again this is just my opinion based on facts and also demonstrates that I have way too much time on my hands LOL.

That makes allot of sense.

#49 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:51 AM

The X-wing is running me about $250, and that's shipped to my door. The Refit will be run by Arduino controlled microprocessors that will replicate the startup seen in TMP as she rolled out of dry dock. It's going to be a pretty technologically inclined piece, so that one's running me about $410.
If you're on Facebook, OtherWorld Models. If not, his website is http://www.otherworldmodels.com. The site doesn't get updated very much, so I would check out his Facebook page. His name's Dannon Marsh. He can also do a number of things to reduce the cost of the build. Both of mine are about as high end as they get, so there ya go lol.

Hell I may just start doing that when the money is a little better.

#50 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:36 PM

I find that I'm moving away from toys anyway. I've got a pro-builder out in Reno who's got a Fine Molds 1/48 X-wing on the work bench that's going to have lit engines/cockpit/R2-Unit with changing color diodes in the cockpit and droid. After that, he's doing a 1/1000 Round 2 Refitted Enterprise for me. That ones going to have the correct aztek done in pearls, lights, formation lights, lit deflector in both start up white and blue. Basically, it'll be a nice little model with all the trimmings. And I would stack this guy up against any pro builder, and that includes industry pros. He's a hell of a guy, too. Not to mention that his prices were more than reasonable.

Will you post pics of these when you get them please?

#51 Stormfury_Echo

Stormfury_Echo

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:40 PM

Will you post pics of these when you get them please?

Sure. But, too, if you look up the modeler on Facebook, he posted in-progress pictures of the X-wing today.

#52 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:24 PM

Sure. But, too, if you look up the modeler on Facebook, he posted in-progress pictures of the X-wing today.

Ive seen.  He seems to do a good job. 

#53 Stormfury_Echo

Stormfury_Echo

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 12:21 AM

He's got the engines mostly completed. He should have them wrapped up tomorrow.

#54 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:32 AM

Stormfury, I can't wait to see pictures you post in future! Getting them made by a pro (including expert non-pros) for a price isn't an option for me, maybe one day as a one-off if I ever found someone over here in the UK (that's if AMT/Ertl or whoever, ever brought out a kit of the Defiant that was accurate to either the studio model or later CG version, then I'd seriously consider doing this).

Getting back to the DST ships though, and to give us something all to chew on, how big do you think a DST Defiant and/or Reliant would be?

In regards to the Reliant, I would hope they'd put it in scale with the refit/A, which would place it on the smaller side in a physical sense (almost in the realm of AA's NX-01), but they'd really look great together.

As for the Defiant, whilst I'd happily take one in scale with the Bird of Prey (in other words, BIG!), the Defiant is the famous 'little' ship of the fleet, and if technically possible, I'd love to see DST's version of her be around the same dimensions as AA's NX-01.
Don't get me wrong, the physical size of the model would not be a factor in terms of me buying one, or loving it, but I've always thought it'd be cool to have a nice Defiant that lights up at least, that's still petite in comparison to the rest of them. My guess would be they'd make it about the same size as the Enterprise-D's Saucer.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this, but if I could just step into unknown territory for a moment, would DST consider making a smaller Defiant so as not to take up more shelf space in stores? Discounting Trekkies for a second, the Defiant - like Voyager, isn't well known outside the fandom (mostly because it isn't an Enterprise, but also because it's completely different in terms of shape and size). Do you think from a business point of view, they'd go with smaller than usual to get more on store shelves?

Just to make clear, I know nothing about how business is done in this regard, this is purely just something for us all to chat over (inject some life back in here), and even though I've seemingly stated otherwise, isn't my heart leading my head - I'd really be happy with models of any size bigger than a 7-inch tablet from DST. :)

#55 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 05:18 AM

Inject some life? Still plenty of life here,people post on a daily basis,don't know what you mean by inject some life,lol! Unless you want people to post several times a day,which I sometimes do of course. lol

Wouldn't the Defiant be smaller if the ships are supposed to be in scale? I still doubt they are though. And the ship I wanted,which I actually mentioned by name a few posts ago,is too big,it'd be a 140-150 dollar ship apparently. Yeah,I got a good explanation as to why they won't make it......unless that was to throw me off track,LOL! As for the Reilant,it would probably be just a tad smaller than Enteprise A,or something. Just have to wait and see I guess.

J-R!

#56 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 06:27 AM

I'd prefer to be slightly larger than the playmates Defiant.  That would make it in scale with the BOP and give it a nice little one up but thats just my opinion.

#57 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 06:38 AM

Robster, I didn't mean it as an insult, or in fact, literally (noted for future; I'll make my wording clearer). I was simply trying to instigate a discussion because as far as DST's ship line is concerned, there's nothing much to talk about. I'm well aware of how busy the forum has been lately, but as I don't collect figures and therefore, don't post in those threads (I read them all!), I was just talking about this thread/DST section, which was perhaps a bit narrow-minded of me. Regardless, it was just a throwaway comment, so my apologies if it confused you.

Anyway, back to the ships. Of course, the Federation ship may not be the Reliant, or the Defiant - it might be a Nebula class (use the same parts as the D - screen accuracy aside, I'd still take one!). But wouldn't you at least agree that, without having had no nods or winks from Zach in person, that it would seem VERY likely that the next Federation ship is going to be one of those two?

As for size/dimensions, I believe I was careful not to use 'scale' unintentionally.

When referring to the Reliant, I'm speculating whether they would make that one in-scale with the refit/Enterprise-A. As I said, that'd be great for displaying them next to each other, and would mean smaller packaging, which I'm told is good for shops to display.

The Defiant would generally be small no matter what DST ship it may or may not be in-scale with (again though, that isn't what I meant). The DST Enterprise-D and E ARE in-scale with each other, but the Defiant would be dwarfed by them. Luckily, Eaglemoss have you covered there. Scaling it next to the Excelsior class would yield similar results, and even next to the refit/A, it'd only be as long as the saucer section!

Once more though, I didn't mean scale, I meant the actual size of any model they make. When I said I'd love it to be the same dimensions roughly as the Art Asylum NX-01, I meant in terms of model length comparatively, like this:

QnTbOiul.jpg

Those two are not in-scale with each other, but that's the clearest way to demonstrate what I was talking about. In other words, I'd love the Defiant to be around the same 'size' as the AA NX-01.

Now, that being said (and hopefully made clear, because I don't know how to explain the difference between size/dimension and scale any better than that! lol), if they were going to make it big, which is possible as the Defiant is very flat (so not that big on a shop's shelf), then it could possibly be in-scale to the Bird of Prey, and who wouldn't love that?! The Defiant and Rotarran next to each other on your shelf!

This picture below should give you an idea of how big the Defiant would have to be, to be in-scale with the BoP (I used my Eaglemoss models as they're right in front of me on the wall, so just PRETEND they're the big DST versions... lol):

cPG5v65l.jpg

So whilst I think a smaller Defiant would be cool, I'd obviously be happy with ANY size Defiant, just so long as the price isn't any different from usual! :)

Razor, your post appeared whilst I was typing this one up. I don't own the Playmates Defiant, so would it be possible for you (or anyone else) to post a picture of it next to a DST ship, just so I could get a good reference of it's size? :)

#58 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:42 AM

Nah,not confused,just curious,lol!

Yes,I would go with those two,and a few others. As for the alien ship......who knows. Like I've been saying,I was hoping for a certain one,still mentioned a few posts back,but it's too big. It wasn't THAT much bigger then E-D,was it? So since I don't have the Playmates version,I might buy that one. I have the toilet sea....ooops,lol,Defiant from Playmates around somewhere,but I'm sure someone has theirs handy along with some DST ships to take pics to compare.

Guess I'm using the term scale very loosely here. I mean that DST say they're in scale to each other,which would make the Defiant EM size next to their E-E,right? In other words,I'll never get an E-J from DST as that one is HUGE compared to most of the other ones,lol! Well EM,swoop in and make me happy,please!

Btw,are the EM ships in scale to each other? I never really looked into that,lol!

J-R!

#59 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:31 PM

cPG5v65l.jpg

So whilst I think a smaller Defiant would be cool, I'd obviously be happy with ANY size Defiant, just so long as the price isn't any different from usual! :)

Razor, your post appeared whilst I was typing this one up. I don't own the Playmates Defiant, so would it be possible for you (or anyone else) to post a picture of it next to a DST ship, just so I could get a good reference of it's size? :)

Unfortunetley I have no way of taking a picture.  They actually might be in close scale already.

#60 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 12:47 AM

Yes, those two (Eaglemoss Defiant and BoP) are perfectly in-scale (lots of speculation as to their real size which comes down to the Defiant being either 120m or 170m).

Robster, if DST ever did make an Enterprise-J (or a model kit became available), if it's around 16 inches long, it'd be in-scale with the Enterprise-E from Eaglemoss. :P

So as to not derail the thread, I've included some more info, but put it in spoiler tags (doesn't need a response, just information).

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users