AskDST #237: Star Trek!

• Please log in to reply
292 replies to this topic

#41 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:15 PM

Tuvok, go for it man, they're lovely.

I'm disappointed, but I've waited nearly 20 years for a good model of the Defiant (never knew about the playmates version as a kid, and I'm not paying through the nose for one now), so what's another 20?  :lol: :unsure: 

Seriously though, I'm excited now to see what the next 2 ships are. I'll be getting the Excelsior, possibly the Bounty, and if the Reliant is being made, then that as well, but that'll be it for me in regards to TOS. Barring the random chance we'll get a Grissom or K't'inga, I won't be buying any more Shatner-era stuff, because I feel like I've bought too much already! I imagine my collection will run VERY dry at that point. lol

#42 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:12 PM

To be honest, I have no idea what the next ship will be. I know we have 2-3 ships in the works, but I don't know which will be finished first, or what will even be ready for Toy Fair. I think whatever we do will sell fine, and I don't know that Voyager or Defiant would sell better or worse than anything else. I never questioned the loyalty of their respective fan bases, having seen the single-mindedness of people who want them, only their relative sizes to the fan bases of TOS, TNG and any of the feature films. Obviously, there's overlap, but I think the requests for the Enterprise C may equal the requests for the Defiant and Voyager combined.

If the Enterprise C is getting that many requests then why is it never said the be on the short list of ships that are coming? In any askdst where the C is brought up the answer is always along the lines of not in the immediate future but it's not something we've ruled out?

#43 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:28 AM

Star Trek ships are very popular. I know a lot of geeks out there who don't necessarily love Star Trek but love these ships purely because of their design and how DST captures them in terms of size and their play features and really I don't think it matters which ship gets done (besides the more obscure ships only a super-fan would really remember or love to have displayed). Be it the Defiant or the Reliant, Enterprise C, Voyager or D7 Klingon Battle Cruiser, their all going to sell and sell as well as one another. I personally think that the Defiant is the more popular Star Trek ship than the Reliant simply because it's a hero ship, it's unique in design and was a regular character on DS9 but I can see why DST would go with the Reliant over the Defiant purely because of the Khan factor (although I'd take the Borg and Borg Queen over him any day).

The C again is a ship I think would sell very well, however it's not a hero ship and I think more people would want the Defiant or Voyager over the C because of the fact the C never had its own show.

Who knows DST could have been given (finally) a licence to do new Trek stuff and we could be getting the new USS Enterprise, the USS Kelvin and the USS Vengeance :D (man I'd love them all, think of the quotes! "I Will walk over your cold dead corpses!") 

#44 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:46 AM

If I had my druthers I would want it to be the Defiant, but if it turns out to be the Reliant , Voyager or the Enterprise-C I would buy any and all of them to add to my fleet of starships,

#45 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:49 AM

To be honest, I have no idea what the next ship will be. I know we have 2-3 ships in the works, but I don't know which will be finished first, or what will even be ready for Toy Fair. I think whatever we do will sell fine, and I don't know that Voyager or Defiant would sell better or worse than anything else. I never questioned the loyalty of their respective fan bases, having seen the single-mindedness of people who want them, only their relative sizes to the fan bases of TOS, TNG and any of the feature films. Obviously, there's overlap, but I think the requests for the Enterprise C may equal the requests for the Defiant and Voyager combined.

AHA!!! So you're saying that the next ship is...

Just kidding! Happy New Year, Zach and everyone!

#46 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:27 AM

I'd buy whatever ship is released as well, I just wouldn't be super excited for it if it was the Reliant, it wouldn't be one I preorder I'd just but it whenever I had the money.

The Enterprise C is hard to gauge how popular it would be. It has a couple things going for it that I feel would make it more popular then the Reliant, maybe even Voyager.
->It's an Enterprise, it may not mean much but it has to have some weight when it comes to collecting.
->No other company has made a good sized version of the C, there's only small scale stuff and most of it is sub par (Eaglemoss could change that though).
->since no ones made it, it would sell to a lot of people just to complete the Enterprise line
->it's had more screen time then the B did, which I'm assuming is selling well, and was also in one of TNGs great episodes.

Like I said I'd buy anything DST releases ship wise, not necessarily all the variants but the main releases. I'm also going that one day my dream of a complete large scale Enterprise line will come true, I just wish you companies didn't neglect the Enterprise C.

I also have these false hopes that DST could surprise us with some Stargate ship action... highly doubt it though.

#47 VorlonKosh

VorlonKosh

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:41 AM

speaking of the enterprise C not having its own show, the enterprise B never had its own show either and less time on screen than the enterprise C, but we still got that toy..... so....I think we will C the Enterprise...  :)

#48 VorlonKosh

VorlonKosh

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:43 AM

I also have these false hopes that DST could surprise us with some Stargate ship action... highly doubt it though.

I would love LOVE some Stargate ships!

#49 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:15 AM

I'm only really interested in the Defiant, Voyager, NX-01 and then I'd love DST to have a crack at the Abrams Enterprise as well. 

#50 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:17 AM

I know DST could knock it out of the park with Prometheus and Daedalus.  If they made an electronic model of each at their $50-60 price range, I have no doubt in my mind they would capture a huge market.  They literally have no competition, at least licensed competition.  QMx dropped Stargate like a bad habit due to their lame ideas not selling.

But, alas, Stargate will always be a very underestimated property.

I have confidence that DST will inevitably get to the Enterprise-C, even if it's their swan song when the day comes that they lose the Trek license for whatever reason.

#51 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:37 AM

I know DST could knock it out of the park with Prometheus and Daedalus.  If they made an electronic model of each at their $50-60 price range, I have no doubt in my mind they would capture a huge market.  They literally have no competition, at least licensed competition.  QMx dropped Stargate like a bad habit due to their lame ideas not selling.

But, alas, Stargate will always be a very underestimated property.

I have confidence that DST will inevitably get to the Enterprise-C, even if it's their swan song when the day comes that they lose the Trek license for whatever reason.

I've wanted a Daedalus and Prometheus for so damn long it's not even funny, there's nothing for them, only a best lock set of the Daedalus you can't find anywhere.. DST would do an amazing job of it but their askdsts always say no for more stargate.

Qmx did some decent stuff with stargate, I'd love to get ahold of their f-302 or death glider. Their posters are meh and the coasters are alright.

#52 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:42 PM

The Stargate brand died thats the reason QMx (and DST) stopped doing stuff for it. Whilst their might be a small group of fans for it, not enough I assume for a company to see the potential in it, same with Battlestar. As for Firefly... I think that's just got a far bigger, more vocal fan base behind it. So until someone decides to bring Stargate back, companies wont see any point/profit in doing merchandise for it.  

Whilst Star Trek has had a major boost with the two JJ Abrams movies, Star Trek is a bigger property than Stargate and doesn't necessarily need a movie or TV series to support merchandise. Not only are DST producing toys based on shows decades old now, they continued to push on through the years when Star Trek seemed all but dead. 

But asking DST to put out random ships that appeared in one episode, first aired over 10 years ago... From one of the lesser watched Trek series doesn't make much sense so I can't see DST ever considering a Prometheus or Daedalus or Enterprise J ship since I can't see enough people buying a $50 electronic lights and sounds version of those ships regardless of them actually knowing what they are in the first place. Unfortunately DS9, Voyager and Enterprise don't have the recognition outside of the die-hard fan base to support DST making secondary and even tertiary ships. The most we're ever likely to see from those TV series is the hero ships from each: the Defiant, Voyager and Enterprise NX-01.

The Enterprise C is a different story, it's one of the main Enterprise ships and comes from one of the most recognisable episodes of Star Trek not to mention coming from arguably the most popular Star Trek TV series. 

We've also got to bear in mind the play/gimmick factor... Ok so the Prometheus could potentially split into three parts, aside from the logistics and cost of doing that with some random ship most probably wouldn't remember... What sound FX do you put on these ships that are instantly recognisable? It's hard enough coming up with quotes to stick on the Defiant beyond "There's another starship coming in... It's the Enterprise!" and " Perhaps today is a good day to die! Prepare for ramming speed!!!" let alone quotes from that episode of Voyager with the Prometheus in it.

Your best bet for a model of those ships would be the Eaglemoss collection. 

As for DST's line, I can see DST doing these ships in no particular order before they've really exhausted their choices with their current license: 

USS Enterprise C

USS Defiant

USS Voyager

USS Reliant

Romulan Bird of Prey

Romulan Warbird (TNG)

Klingon D7 Battlecruiser

Borg Cube

Shuttlecraft Galileo 

Shuttlecraft Godard

The Phoenix warp ship

Klingon Vor'Cha Attack Cruiser (TNG)

Enterprise NX-01

USS Stargazer (at a push I think)

Then If they did get a license that extended to current and future Star Trek's... The skies the limit I guess as long as what's produced for TV or film becomes a cultural success and is as popular with a large enough audience as TNG was!

#53 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:55 PM

I would never expect DST to do any of the random ships seen in trek (Prometheus, Akira, Daedalus, etc) and I don't expect them to.

I like your list, I'm not to sure about the shuttles/runabout, or the Phoenix as cool as they would be, and if they're gonna consider shuttles the Delta Flyer should be there. The only other thing missing would be the Dominion Bug Ship, I feel that is big enough for DST to consider doing.

Shuttles would be good in a smaller scale, a 18 inch runabout would look very off to me.

The Stargazer is kinda a tough one, there isn't really anything special about it other then it was Picards first ship.

After DST makes the Defiant, Voyager and Reliant(I'd prefer before Reliant honestly) the C should be the next ship, it deserves it a lot more then some of the other ships on that list. Release the C alongside the Romulan Warbird, they would go well together.

#54 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:25 PM

Shuttlecraft and auxiliary craft like the Flyer and Runabouts would be great for someone like Hotwheels to cover.... If they can do a 1:18 scale light up KITT...imagine what thet could do with a shuttle.... DST does a great job with starships but if they start doing auxiliary vehicles it would really slow down the time before we got the starships we would like.

#55 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:43 PM

Shuttlecraft and auxiliary craft like the Flyer and Runabouts would be great for someone like Hotwheels to cover.... If they can do a 1:18 scale light up KITT...imagine what thet could do with a shuttle.... DST does a great job with starships but if they start doing auxiliary vehicles it would really slow down the time before we got the starships we would like.

My feelings exactly, I like shuttles but would much rather have starship's.

#56 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:37 PM

DST did a GREAT 1:15th scale light up and sounds KITT,so I'm sure DST could do smaller ships as well.

The ships I want will never be made,but I know at least three of them are in the ST starships collection from EM,so I guess I'll have to settle for that.

And instead of Stargate I'd still like some Galaxy Quest,lol!

J-R!

#57 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:48 PM

Okay personally, I think the Reliant is just as Iconic as the Defiant. I mean here is something you guys gotta think about too...Voyager is unlikely for a little while just for the fact that we never even got ANY Voyager figures with the exception of Seven Femme Fatals statue. DS9 did get figures but how many of them were cancelled due to lack of interest? From what i remember, the DS9 line didn't favor too popular in the scheme of things. 

Now the TWOK line had figures, Role play, and ships, so it is only logical to have the Reliant as one of the next ships. Just cuz it isn't a "Hero Ship" doesnt mean it isn't just as important. Not to mention, there has NEVER been an Electronic version of the Reliant made. Prolly why we got an Excelsior so quick too, because it hasn't been done yet. 

#58 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:05 AM

I feel action figures aren't the best thing to guage the popularity of a ship. I personally have 0 interest in action figures, 6 months ago I would have said the same thing about props, I know have been collecting sonic screwdrivers and have the QMX swivel phaser.

Ships on the other hand I have very little control over buying them, I'll convince myself that I can't afford one and 5 minutes later it's ordered.

There are aftermarket ships available from playmates and looking at the prices they usually go for has to say something to how in demand they are. Voyager and the Defiant typically go for roughly $100, there is done fluctuation but it's usually around that.

Other playmates ships don't go for that much.

I'm sure the Reliant would be a popular choice, but you can't say it would be better based on other types of merchandise selling well or not.

#59 DSTZach

DSTZach

I can stop I just don't want to.

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:24 AM

It's not a definitive rule, but if one type of product for one show or movie doesn't sell, it's a very strong indicator that another type of product won't sell, either. Regardless of what type of product one person might prefer, the size of the fan base is going to have an equal effect on the sales of both products. Obviously, every product line is different, and the greater Star Trek umbrella can skew results, but I still think Voyager has a strong fan base that is simply not as large as others.

If DST Chuck says we aren't getting a C any time soon, he has his reasons. Just because a certain number of people write in and say they want it doesn't mean it will sell enough to pay for the all-new tooling. True, the B had less screen time, but that screen time was in a major feature film AND it also shared parts with another famous ship that appeared in TWO movies, the Excelsior. The Ambassador class has unfortunately not had as many famous ships. We need to sell a certain number to make it work, and the number of people who simply want to complete their Enterprise display may not be enough to make that happen.

And 1701, you know we already made the NX-01, right? Three different decos of it? Seeing it on your wish list, and I'm wondering if it's just a wish for a re-issue. (We're looking into it.)

Also, I wouldn't expect any more Stargate product until Stargate comes back to TV.

#60 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:43 AM

It's not a definitive rule, but if one type of product for one show or movie doesn't sell, it's a very strong indicator that another type of product won't sell, either. 

I strongly disagree with this. Whilst there are obvious exceptions due to the screen time a  ship has been given and the popularity/recognition that ship has had within a series or a movie, as toys/models (and perhaps as characters themselves) Star Trek ships are vastly more popular than the flesh and blood characters within the shows. It's odd because you'd think for a character driven show, the characters would be loved more than the ships. It's a real worry if DST's thinking is that because DS9 or Voyager or Enterprise product/action figures wouldn't sell that the USS Voyager or USS Defiant wouldn't sell either... Sure one ship might be more popular than the other ship and so on but on the whole, Star Trek ships are what most people love about Star Trek and as toys they work well because their unlike anything else and every one of them be it the original Enterprise or the NX-01 is loved by a lot of fans. 

Whilst the characters in Trek are still very much loved and integral to the importance we all see in Star Trek. As far as making money off of Trek via toys, it's the ships that win the day, probably because in action figure form, the Star Trek characters people are going to recognise well, (Kirk, Spock, Picard, Worf, Data) are really quite dull looking with their iconic starfleet uniforms. 

What DST and future Star Trek toy makers must realise is that whilst fans love Trek for it's stories and the weekly morality plays Trek gave us through it's superb characters, we love Star Trek merchandise for the ships... I'd be more than happy for DST to just do ships and props and pour the money spent on developing their action figure line into Ship development. 

And 1701, you know we already made the NX-01, right? Three different decos of it? Seeing it on your wish list, and I'm wondering if it's just a wish for a re-issue. (We're looking into it.)

It's on that list because whilst you've issued variations, the original ship was done by Art Asylum... Technically you guys haven't done the Enterprise A yet but BRILLIANT news that DST are looking into reissuing it. I hope with quotes, LED's and a thicker plastic so that light bleed is cut to a minimum! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users