• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Morgan

Morgan

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 02:42 PM

Here's one from 1993 advertising the second series of figures. Note the heavy emphasis here on TOS characters in the top row. Curiously enough, Scotty and McCoy were two of the most under-purchased figures on store shelves, by a huge margin. Were those overproduced?

Playmates tended to underproduce the weird aliens, so Dathon and Vorgon were certainly produced in smaller numbers, but Lore was not. K'Ehleyr seemed to be harder to find, which often happened with female figures as a matter of course.

advert-1.jpg

#2 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 02:47 PM

Despite an abundance of shuttle designs which you would think would be suitable for an Action Fleet-type lineup that Galoob had for Star Wars vehicles, Playmates centered on out-of-scale vehicles.

Think of all the shuttles we could have had! The Spacedock shuttle, all the TNG shuttles, the TOS shuttle, various shuttlepods from TNG, a runabout... I mean, that's like 10 vehicles right there that could have been produced. And items like the Romulan Scout Ship could have been scaled down, etc.

The Maquis ship was the only one that was sort of in the neighborhood of being to scale, in the same way that Tantive IV was in the neighborhood of being to scale with Action Fleet.

Here's one from 1997.

advert-2.jpg

#3 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:06 PM

Playmates figures and Ships in the 1990's we're a great time for me and collecting. I have many fond memories of them. I only have a few Playmates figures now on my shelf but I used to have nearly every one produced. Good memories.

#4 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:34 PM

Despite an abundance of shuttle designs which you would think would be suitable for an Action Fleet-type lineup that Galoob had for Star Wars vehicles, Playmates centered on out-of-scale vehicles.

Think of all the shuttles we could have had! The Spacedock shuttle, all the TNG shuttles, the TOS shuttle, various shuttlepods from TNG, a runabout... I mean, that's like 10 vehicles right there that could have been produced. And items like the Romulan Scout Ship could have been scaled down, etc.

The Maquis ship was the only one that was sort of in the neighborhood of being to scale, in the same way that Tantive IV was in the neighborhood of being to scale with Action Fleet.

Here's one from 1997.

advert-2.jpg

Taking us back! I loved all the ads in the Trek magazines and used to cut them out and keep them.

I wanted to like the Strike Force but just couldn’t. They also had the Innerspace series which I begrudgingly collected.

#5 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 04:13 PM

When I was in middle school I had my parents take me to the mall and I took that "Good, Bad, Aliens" ad to one of those places that prints t-shirts. I had them make a t-shirt with that ad on it. I loved it! And, yes as you can imagine I got teased a little in school for that, haha!

#6 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 01:41 PM

One of the things I wished Galoob had made was a Spacedock playset large enough to display all the Federation Micro Machines they offered.

#7 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 03:28 PM

One of the things I wished Galoob had made was a Spacedock playset large enough to display all the Federation Micro Machines they offered.

I wanted a large spacedock as well, but I figured they couldn't make it happen in a realistic and economical way so that it would be less than like $40.

With Galoob the thing that I was the most upset about was the lack of First Contact ships. It's only now in this decade that we're getting all these obscure and not obscure vessels with Eaglemoss and the other mfrs.

#8 Damon1984

Damon1984

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:30 AM

That's a great thread-idea :)

Here is another one:

pc6m6jll.png

#9 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 12:29 PM

That's a great thread-idea :)
Here is another one:

pc6m6jll.png

Love these!

#10 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 10:20 AM

I wanted a large spacedock as well, but I figured they couldn't make it happen in a realistic and economical way so that it would be less than like $40.

They made a Death Star work but there was more demand for Star Wars even back then.

#11 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 04:53 PM

Here's a UK-market Bandai branded advert. Interestingly enough, I don't think the TOS movies figures were actually branded as Bandai on the cards, as opposed to the 1992-release figures which were, but small stickers on the backs of the cards may have had some mention of Bandai. I haven't seen a movies figure from the UK market up close.

bandai.jpg

#12 Jpatrik

Jpatrik

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:Sci-Fi, Star Trek, Fitness, Writing, World Domination

Posted 31 August 2019 - 07:33 AM

Amazing dude - thanks for sharing!

Interestingly, the flyer states that the 1701 features "tractor beam" sound when in actual fact the fourth sound was "warp speed".

Really loving these promo posters dude :-)

#13 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:58 AM

I hadn't seen this one before, but at least they kind of advertised the Design an Alien contest outside of the figures.

alien.jpg

#14 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 11:33 AM

Here's a TV ad for the Generations figures and playsets. Note that the Engineering set is not advertised but the bridge is -- it was produced late -- and that the ad uses footage from the film. So this is past the point where Playmates knew that the uniforms were wrong, but decided to roll with them anyway.

The TV ad kind of spoils that the saucer crashes, so the ad was filmed after post-production of the film had wrapped up, pretty late in the process, because it's an effects shot unique to the film. This places the creation of the ad very late -- this was not cut together during pre-production at all.

There is also footage from Emissary, BoBW, and the episode where the Odyssey blows up.

One thing I hadn't noticed before is that Lursa has some kind of periscope thing. Does this suggest a Klingon Bird of Prey bridge playset of some sort, or did they mock this up just for the ad? It's not impossible that it could have been a toy concept mockup that was shelved, but it's hard to tell. I mean, they had to get the periscope from somewhere, and had seen it used in the film.

#15 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 09:26 AM

Here's an ad for phasers from 1994.

phasers.jpg

#16 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 02:38 PM

A rare one for the 9-inch figures, which were not advertised in print all that much.

Check out the unobstructed Borg cube art from the cube's box.

captains.jpg

#17 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 03:02 PM

TOS lineup from the TRU set. Production heads on these, as opposed to the prototypes shown earlier in 1993 (in the prototypes thread here).

tos-lineup.jpg

#18 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 02:01 PM

Innerspace, 1995

innerspace-1995.jpg

#19 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 02:02 PM

Target, 1999.

target-1999.jpg

#20 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 02:06 PM

Paramount, 1993. Note the concept sketch of the Bridge Playset.

Also, note the wild prices. Transporter: $59.95. Bridge playset: $79.95. 

In 2020 dollars, that Transporter would be $106.

paramount-1993.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users