• Please log in to reply
578 replies to this topic

#1 BlueArrow

BlueArrow

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:18 PM

Hey guys! Any word on the Enterprise-B shown at ToyFair? I had heard that it was planned for this Christmas but I didn't see it listed on TrekMovie's DST projections for the rest of 2009 and early 2010.

#2 eti

eti

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek (TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY)<br />Battlestar Galactica (1978 &amp; 2003)<br />Stargate SG1 &amp; Atlantis<br />Star Wars<br />V (1984)<br />Aliens<br />Civil Aviation

Posted 06 August 2009 - 01:22 AM

My best guess would be May/June 2010 and not any earlier despite what TrekMovie.com says

#3 Captain Alex

Captain Alex

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Collecting almost anything Trek, especially props.

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:45 AM

Chuck at DST has said repeatedly that DST won't release a date because it is just too early for them to make a valid estimate. In the past, DST has been off on their release dates by months (not just 1 or 2 but 5 to 9 or more). I'm glad DST is finally waiting instead of making promises they can't keep. Unfortunately eti, I think you're right, but maybe DST will surprise us!

#4 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:58 AM

I agree, I'd rather not see release dates until they're relatively sure they can hit them (within a month or two at most). DST may finally be wising up. A little.

#5 Captain Alex

Captain Alex

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:04 AM

DST really has been improving in quite a few ways, item quality (AGT E-D) and overall intelligence (what to release & announcing release dates). It seems only Star Trek fans can make DST better! cool.gif

#6 CanOpener1256

CanOpener1256

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:anything Star Trek, especially ship models from Art Asylum and others.

Posted 06 August 2009 - 03:44 PM

Their last update mentioned that the B and the Klingon ships where still being in the CAD (Computer Aided Design) stage. If that's the case, it will be this time next year before it reaches us.

I would assume the molds, the sound boards, and materials are not even made yet. Plus the 5 trips back and forth telling some who speaks Chinese for the ninth time that the freaking nacelle is upside down and the neck windows are still missing have to happen. You know, the usual stuff.

#7 Captain Alex

Captain Alex

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:01 PM

QUOTE (CanOpener1256 @ Aug 6 2009, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Plus the 5 trips back and forth telling some who speaks Chinese for the ninth time that the freaking nacelle is upside down and the neck windows are still missing have to happen. You know, the usual stuff.

roflmao.gif
DST: Put this decal there.
Factory worker 1: So no window there.
DST: No. Put the decal under the windows.
Factoryw1: Okay.

Factoryw2: So, what we do?
Factoryw1: I don't know he said no to window so, just put decal there.
I SWEAR this is what happened when they were talking about the E-D!

#8 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:46 PM

Most likely, as a friend of mine on another board recently posted this:

I talked to Diamond during SDCC about the windows on the Ent-D missing, was told that it was a production mistake and they're looking into a way to correct it, perhaps sending out label sheets to buyers.

#9 Alex

Alex

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 02:50 AM

QUOTE (Jedigreedo @ Aug 6 2009, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Most likely, as a friend of mine on another board recently posted this:

I hope that this is true. At first the missing Windows didn't really bother me too much--the ship was such a radical departure from the Playmates Toy of '92, that it could be overlooked, but the more I look at the AA/DST E-D, the more I feel like the missing Windows are begging to be added on any reissues and dry-transfer decals to consumers (DST doesn't seem like the type to use "sticker-style decals" to me,) with the current runs would be ideal. In truth, I'd like to see the E-A and the E-E get updated and reissued as well to go with the E-D and the new E-B. Once we get the E-B, all that'll be left is the E-C, and I think DST might try to wait on that one for the time being.

As far as the E-B goes, it's nice to know that DST does NOT have a release date--it means that we don't have to tack 5-9 months onto whatever they say for accuracy. If we went by DST's release date for the E-D, it should've been here last September, so I'm glad that they're learning about handling this; granted I'm surprised nobody did a "They say -insert date here-, we say -insert different date here-" thread for all of DST's previous release date inaccuracies.

If the E-B isn't delayed, it'll be a new record for DST. I'm sure that they still have to design a ship that won't be able to fit the batteries in it, (E-E) do a physical mock-up from an AMT/Ertl kit, (E-D) leave off windows (NX-01/E-D,) and take a mold without light bleed issues (E-A) and make it translucent (TWOK Refit,) before it's fully fixed and released to us. In other words, the usual DST delays, but hey--I'd rather have DST's delays and accuracy than Playmates' legal copy-ridden dual-battery compartment (without saucer sep) light-bleed heavy mess that was the JJ-Prise. Seriously, seeing Andy's pictures of that thing have made it the first ship that I didn't rush out to buy--I'd like one, but can't find it, and my E-D makes up for not having it in my collection yet.

In any case, it's good to see DST isn't jumping the gun for once. Of course, this could mean no ships in 2010 if DST delays the way they usually do, and four ships in '09 if both 1701 variants make it out on time. I'm pretty sure that there were four ships in '07 w/variants included and none in '08, so it wouldn't surprise me if this happens again. However, I'll continue to hope for the E-B and Excelsior next year.

#10 QuePaso?

QuePaso?

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:20 PM

<blowing the dust off this topic>

Just got cancellation notices from BBTS for this and the Excelsior.

Hi - Diamond has just informed us that this item has been cancelled for the time being, and as a result they will not be able to fill our orders. We apologize for the inconvenience. We have cancelled all preorders and removed the item from our site.

I've had these on preorder now for how many years?

Since they are still supposedly coming out this year (?), this smells like another "thanks for the preorder, now pay more" switcheroo.

#11 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:54 PM

Probably just clerical crap with the stock lists or item numbers or whatnot. Surely they're refunding you your pre-order sum, right?

If it's a price-hike you are referring to, then yeah, I wouldn't be surprised. The Enterprise-E repaint has been hiked by 10 bucks.

NINJA EDIT (yes, they can still be ninja if I announce them!)

Facebook delivers - someone in the same position as yourself (if not you yourself) elicited this conversation from DST...
QUOTE (DST's FB page)
Facebooker:
Is it true that the Enterprise B and Excelsior have been cancelled indefinitely?

DSTZach:
Patently untrue. Who told you that? Development continues, and we had a test shot at Toy Fair.

Facebooker 2:
Ah I got an email from one of the online reatailers as well stating that the E was cancelled and the excelsior. This is like waiting for GRR Martin's A Dance of Drangons to come out all over again. Though I am sure it will be worth it. I think my geek is showing.

DSTZach:
We did cancel pre-orders for the E and re-solicit, but as far as I know we never solicited the Excelsior. Retailers may have offered it prematurely.

#12 QuePaso?

QuePaso?

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:48 AM

Nah, that wasn't me on FB, but someone else who must've gotten the same note from BBTS.

Thankfully BBTS never collected any monies for the preorders. They are just going to resolicit preorders once they get confirmation from DST that they are actually making these. Of course, at a higher price point.

I understand why they are doing it, but it is still annoying nonetheless. mad.gif

Just make the darn things!

#13 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:53 AM

Doesn't anyone else feel that by DST cancelling orders they are pushing away potential customers - why put it up for pre-order if your just going to cancel it only to re-release it for pre-order sometime down the line but then base whether or not you produce it on the pre-orders you canceled to begin with loosing that initial customer base who may not be back for a second time, not bothering to check to see if they had put it back up thinking that DST had just canceled it indefinitely - POOR management somewhere from DST.

Just fracking put it up for pre-order 2 months before you know it's leaving your warehouse for people's homes.

#14 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:55 PM

DST didn't cancel these particular orders. The Excelsiors were never solicited. This is BBTS's booboo.

I'm with you on the E, though. I suppose they have to weigh up the benefits of cancelling, and potentially losing a few orders, versus getting the ship up on the "Coming Soon" or "New Product" billings on websites.

#15 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:00 PM

Just in case some of the followers of this thread are not fans of the Facebook Watch thread...

#16 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:30 PM

QUOTE (Destructor!!! @ Apr 20 2012, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just in case some of the followers of this thread are not fans of the Facebook Watch thread...

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#17 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE (Destructor!!! @ Apr 20 2012, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
*Drools* As someone who doesn't use Facebook, I appreciate that photo Destructor!!! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Destructor!!! @ Apr 18 2012, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DST didn't cancel these particular orders. The Excelsiors were never solicited. This is BBTS's booboo.

This is absolutely correct; DST never took preorders for the Excelsiors to begin with. BBTS saw the ship when DST originally announced it, put it up for preorder right away, and then "cloaked" the listing when DST told them it wouldn't be ready for quite some time. This seems to be a pretty common practice for them, (putting products up as soon as they're announced, rather than when the manufacturer begins to solicit preorders,) but sometimes in results in situations like this one where they have to cancel a bunch of preorders for an item that's been delayed for a lengthy amount of time.

QUOTE (Destructor!!! @ Apr 18 2012, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm with you on the E, though. I suppose they have to weigh up the benefits of cancelling, and potentially losing a few orders, versus getting the ship up on the "Coming Soon" or "New Product" billings on websites.
Neither NFCC or BBTS cancelled any of my Enterprise

#18 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:19 AM

I think you mean the 30th!

Great points about the price of oil driving up the production costs as well as the shipping cost - that hadn't occurred to me.

My Enterprise-E preorders with Forbidden Planet International stand (my nephew wants one now, too), and the price hike has not translated. They tend to be a little behind the curve, though, so I expect it may yet.

They price things in sterling, though, and a hike of $10 is pretty meagre in Sterling, so they may have decided to absorb that rather than mess people around. Their last "delay" mail was pretty apologetic in tone, in contrast to the previous, business-like, missives.

They never offered the Excelsiors - more likely a lack of attention than any maturity over BBTS's rabid fanboyishness (not a bad thing in this case!).

#19 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE (Destructor!!! @ Apr 30 2012, 07:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you mean the 30th!
Nope, I actually mean the 20th Anniversary of Generations, which would be the 20th Anniversary of the Enterprise

#20 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:24 AM

I don't think they have to tie these ships into releasing them during an anniversary... These are Star Trek ships - some of the most iconic Sci-Fi ships in the world. If DST do them justice and fix their QC problems that have kinda ruined past releases (I'm not looking for perfection) then DST's ship line could be really well received

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users