• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:05 AM

I found this on Ebay....is this a legit prototype or is this a custom figure??

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4d10cf784f

I knew of the Romulan that was planned but never made, I didn't know of a B4...The head looks different too, but the pictures aren't all THAT great i can't really tell if it is indeed a new sculpt of just a paint job someone did. The mouth looks different though.

#2 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:19 AM

I'm going to go with fake due to lack of information, completely different fonts used for the name and accessory text, and it appears to be a lightly modified and well painted Enterprise body.  Some details have been removed, but the breast pockets are still present and B4's jumpsuit lacked pockets such as those in the movie.  In fact, that was one big thing that producers liked to point out about Enterprise; the uniforms have zippers.

Art Asylum wouldn't have been that cheap.  And if it were simply a concept mockup, they likely wouldn't have bothered to remove some details from the uniform and then put forth effort to paint the zippers.

#3 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:44 AM

My first instinct was the same thing, that is was an Enterprise body too...but the more i looked at it, I wasn't sure if it was the same or not. Because for one...those Enterprise Bodies were that wierd rubbery stuff and that would be kinda hard to paint, and modify. Now what about the head? I mean it does look like a slightly different sculpt.

#4 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:24 AM

Yeah its a fake, you can see that the body is actually a Broken Bow Enterprise uniform body from the Art Asylum Enterprise range.

#5 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:09 PM

The first contact Data came with an extra head, thats what it looks like to me. Those of us around the forums way back when the Nemesis figures were released probably would have heard about a B4 prototype, i never did. It looks like a custom being pawned off as a prototype to me.

#6 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:28 PM

of course your getting 5 figures for the $200, but still no way ea are worth $40!

#7 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:56 PM

of course your getting 5 figures for the $200, but still no way ea are worth $40!

Most of the stores that carried Enterprise and Nemesis figures had a hard time getting 5 bucks in the bargain bin for them. I think i bought a Picard for next to nothing. It has been about 10 years though, but still not worth 40 a piece. In MIP condition i would say 15 bucks to 20, depending on which figure it is.

#8 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:39 PM

It's a fake/custom. No such animal was ever created or shown. If it was i am sure one of us would have known about it.
The use of the enterprise uniform clenches it or me. I'm pretty sure I've called that same seller out before selling "prototype" figures and his response was "I had no idea, I will take it own". But never did.

#9 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:12 AM

Isn't that the name of the character, B4 Prototype?
I am sure it's a custom, I know there was one made on these very boards, or PT

#10 Bryan

Bryan

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:35 AM

Well somebody fell for it.

$331!!!

#11 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:54 PM

Isn't that the name of the character, B4 Prototype?
I am sure it's a custom, I know there was one made on these very boards, or PT

Yes, technically B4 was a prototype i believe, but this figure was being portrayed as a very rare Prototype, not a custom figure. Hopefully whoever bought it will be happy with it.

#12 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:26 PM

I shouldn't have bought it?

For those that are wondering, that was a joke.

#13 DSTZach

DSTZach

I can stop I just don't want to.

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:11 AM

Prototypes are also not generally put in finished packaging. If it's in packaging, with a finished nametag insert, then it has been manufactured, which generally means it has been publicized, solicited or pre-sold to a retailer. Ocasionally, we mock up packaging for a retailer to consider as an exclusive, but I don't think we've EVER mocked up a figure to put inside. We'd more likely show them control art or a loose painted prototype, which again, would have probably been on display at some point.

Also, the packaging has a different style of nametag, for some reason. You would think that would be the easiest part to fake.

Nice custom, though!

#14 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:44 PM

Zach I don't suppose you have any photographs or designs of the Nemesis figures that were never produced you could show us here do you?

#15 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:02 PM

Yeah I found a shot of the Romulan Commander from a number of years ago that is on the NFC site, but would LOVE to see some of the other ones like the Reman Soldier and early mockups of like Work and Riker, if there ever were ones made. 

Now here is the thing though. Those were done when it was AA, not DST so I dunno if Zach would have access to that kind of stuff or not.

#16 DSTZach

DSTZach

I can stop I just don't want to.

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:16 PM

I at one point had access to all of AA's archives, but it would take some searching. I was with ToyFare back then, so we covered this line, I think they even got a cover, and I don't even remember the unproduced figures!

#17 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:11 PM

I'm a little late to this discussion ....just had to add :

The face confuses me a bit though .... it doesnt really look like one of the later head sculpts of DSTs Data.... It looks like the AA Nemesis head with a resculpted mouth area....weird.... You guys are definitely correct about the body being a repaint of the AA Enterprise uniform....

#18 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:23 AM

Goddamnit! I WAS going to post that video the other day - and I forgot! Still, made me howl! :)

#19 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:49 AM

Goddamnit! I WAS going to post that video the other day - and I forgot! Still, made me howl! :)

I had to do it..... ;-)

#20 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:28 PM

Ive got one of my own if anyone wants to buy it sans packaging :)

gallery_179_11_704990.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users