Stargate: The Series

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 The_Donster

The_Donster

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 23 September 2006 - 12:39 AM

Ran across the season dvd's for like $19.99 the other day and was wondering what folks felt about the series huh.gif I'll admit that I've been intrigued with the show, especially with the figures coming out, but I have been put off with some of the changes to the show lately. However, given the costs of the dvd's, I wanted to know what others thought of the show and whether it's worth adding to the collection?

#2 Captain Kidd

Captain Kidd

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 12:54 PM

I'm a big fan of the show and got all the season on DVD. With the exception of season 9 of SG-1 and season 2 of Atlantis. Which will be released in Oct.

My primary reason for getting the DVD's was because the local TV stations stopped airing Stargate in like season 4. We do not get the Sci-Fi Channel in Canada so I missed alot of it. A few years later when the DVD's came out I got them and watched the hole series. And I fell in love with the show all over again. Now local TV channel "Space" is now aring Stargate SG-1 Season 10 but will start 2 months after it starts on the Sci-Fi Channel. This was the same for Season 9 of Stargate SG-1. which did air on that channel last year.

As for Atlantis, I have yet to see season 2. The Space Channel aired Season 1 all summer so I have to wait for it to be released on DVD.

I say get them. If you are a fan of the show, they will be worth it.

#3 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 03:02 PM

You and I have spoken of this before and you know I love it. I personaly (and am in no way trying to start a debate here) think that Stargate is one of the best Sci-fi shows ever. I highly recomend anyone that has thought about it but never gotten around to giving it a try to go ahead and do so.

#4 Hirogen

Hirogen

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 05:07 PM

I would highly recommend the Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis. Something that everyone should have kept in mind after Richard Dean Anderson left was yes the show will be different. I think people were expecting to see the same old SG-1 dynamic and were disapointed when they tuned in. I went into Season 9 expecting the show to be different and after I saw the entire season (nine) I was impressed with the direction. Do I miss RDA? Heck yeah! I love the humor he brought to the show, but I also really like Ben Browder's character, and Claudia Black who is adding some humor along with Amanda Tapping (glad the writers are making her be a little more jokey and not so serious).

So check it out, I think you will enjoy it.

#5 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 05:15 PM

I like SG-1. I say go for it. While neither SG1 or SGA is at the very top fo my list of favorites, I think both series are good and hightly enjoyable. It's a fun watch, so no worries.

And yes, I do like the new SG1 episodes as well. I like the direction of the show has taken and I like the new dynamic of the characters as well. In some ways, I like the new SG1 better than the RDA SG1.

#6 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 07:12 PM

Sg1 is a great show. I am waiting for season 9 to come out on dvd so i can continue my watching it, since i havent seen any since i got done watching season 8 a few months ago. Havent watched any Atlantis yet, but i plan to see it as well on dvd.

#7 Hirogen

Hirogen

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 11:22 AM

So has everyone heard there is a THIRD series in development? Rumor is Michael Shanks will star in it. (That's all the info I have). Anyone care to speculate on it? If the rumor is true then I don't see how TPTB can create Stargate Command...a series that they have had bouncing around for a while.

http://www.gateworld...tei_serie.shtml

I'm excited to hear about this but still sad my SG-1 is going away. Luckily, Amanda Tapping will appear quite often in the fourth season of Atlantis.

#8 ECH

ECH

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 11:29 AM

Stargate SG-1 and and Atlantis are up there as some of my favourite Scif-fi shows (along with Trek and BSG).

I was sad to hear that SG-1 is comming to an end, but its inventiable I suppose. We've still got Atlantis though so SG-1 will live on. Thats something I like about those shows - they aren't afraid to have characters crossover. I wish they did that more with TNG/DS9, especially during the Dominion War.

#9 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 11:34 AM

They are also planning two direct to DVD movies for SG1. I look forward to anything as long as the keep the Stargate Universe alive.

#10 ECH

ECH

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 01:10 PM

^Absolutely!

#11 Hirogen

Hirogen

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 05:14 PM

I wonder what's going to happen to Browder, Black and Judge? Are those characters going to be written out or killed off? I would hate for that to happen. I know in some people think Browder and Black killed the show, but I am enjoying Season 9 and 10.

#12 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 05:52 PM

Mitchell is one of my favorite characters now and Vala is a great character too. Of course Tealc will always be an awesome character that will be able to be explored in amnay diferent ways. I think that they are going to keep them all around for the movies and guest shots in other series. I am very interested to hear what type of setting the possible third series will be in.

#13 Captain Kidd

Captain Kidd

• Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 07:10 AM

QUOTE(JMW326 @ Dec 17 2006, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They are also planning two direct to DVD movies for SG1. I look forward to anything as long as the keep the Stargate Universe alive.

I'm thinking that one of the direct to DVD movie with be with the SG-1 cast and will be tying up loose ends from the series final [sobs] and the second could be a prequel of some sort launching the new SG series they are talking about.

#14 ECH

ECH

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 09:49 AM

I've read somewhere that one film will tie up the Ori storyline and the other will involve time travel.

#15 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:36 AM

That is what I read too. I also read that Richard Dean Anderson has not been asked to be in either of them yet but the rest of the cast has. It doesn't really bother me becuase I realy like the new cast with Mitchell and Vala but alot of fans are not to happy about no ONeil.

#16 ECH

ECH

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 07:07 AM

I didn't know that. It would be great if he was in them somewhere, but its not the end of the world if he's not there. The films should still be pretty good.

#17 Captain Kidd

Captain Kidd

• Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 12:14 PM

Agreed, RDA has not been a major character since he left at the end if season 8. He had a few guest appearences in season 9 and 10 so we can probably expect the same for the movies. But if this is going to involve time travel I'm guessing we may see the something involving the ancients. SG1 may go back in time to a point before the Ancients ascended. Maybe a time before the Ancients and the Ori split.

#18 Hirogen

Hirogen

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 03:19 PM

Looks like the first movie will start filming in the next few months, April 15 to be exact. And the second one will film June 1. I have no idea how long it will take to complete, but I hope they release those in the fall of 07.

http://www.gateworld...ming_apri.shtml

#19 ECH

ECH

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 08:12 AM

It also appears that the films will be on-going. So we could be looking at an SG1 film franchise here, so they can keep the story going. The writers have already said that they want to try and continue the story in other ways. If all goes well with the first two films we could see at least one film every year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users