bgiles73's Content

There have been 32 items by bgiles73 (Search limited from 26-April 23)

Sort by                Order  

#98079 Star Trek Playmates Toys Youtube Video

Posted by bgiles73 on 27 October 2023 - 12:29 AM in Playmates

Im going to be kind of going off the topic of this thread but it kinda relates to your point of not having any cool biography or technical information on the Playmates Packaging. I sure miss those blueprints. Paramount certainly isnt blameless in this either. Where are the Star Trek Technical Books, The Encyclopedias, Compendiums, etc? They had a Cutaway painting of the JJ Abrams Enterprise in an issue of Popular Mechanics. Why wasnt this on a poster we could have on our wall? Star Wars had all those DK books with cut-away pictures of Starships and World Maps and books covering characters and Tech from all the movies. I want to buy such things for Star Trek but its not to be found.

#98076 Star Trek Playmates Toys Youtube Video

Posted by bgiles73 on 25 October 2023 - 06:59 PM in Playmates

That would not surprise me at all that they made no effort to touch base with Paramount to insure accuracy of products. The way they are phoning the line in now and showing absolutely no sign of attempting to communicate with buyers who could ultimately make this toy line a success shows they have not learned a thing from past failures. I notice public opinion of Playmates is spiraling rapidly downward and it is certainly deserved.

#98059 Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

Posted by bgiles73 on 08 October 2023 - 09:34 PM in Playmates

Thats all of Jake and Nogs Self Sealing Stem Bolts!

#98056 Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

Posted by bgiles73 on 07 October 2023 - 08:07 PM in Playmates

Takes a bow. Then runs off with a couple of Orion Animal Girls.

I got my Enterprise D at my doorstep today and TOS Communicator. I actually loved both of them. I have the DST ships of both of TOS and the D too. I really love the toy aspect of the Playmates ones more though. I just wish they would have kept the warp whoosh from the old 90s ships. They just feel incomplete without that sound effect. Im really hoping for more ships, figures, role play and some playsets! I hope they will do something from the current shows.

#98052 Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

Posted by bgiles73 on 05 October 2023 - 10:40 PM in Playmates

I bet the Star-Fleet Corps of Engineers forgot the saucers bottom phaser array on Veridian III!

#98034 Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

Posted by bgiles73 on 03 October 2023 - 06:39 PM in Playmates

I would definitely buy SNW, Picard Season 3(especially) and I really want Lower Decks! Got one kinda a spoiler for those who havent seen the SNW Season 2 Finale.but Spock encounters this on the bridge of Pikes girlfriends ship. I dont mind retreads on old previously released 90s figures but those should maybe be boxed sets of completed crews or as an exclusive or something. That way they could at least get some contemporary stuff out in stores.

#98002 Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

Posted by bgiles73 on 15 August 2023 - 12:10 PM in Playmates

Alteran195 go to fanhome.com and sign up for their newsletter. I think its safe to say they have the ships you are looking for (or will soon!)

#98001 Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

Posted by bgiles73 on 15 August 2023 - 08:59 AM in Playmates

For $15K I had better be able to live comfortably inside the thing because Im sure my girlfriend wouldnt be having that. Im plenty happy with the Playmates Enterprise D. I really wish Jazwares would resurrect Star Trek MicroMachines. What they are doing with Star Wars Micro Galaxy Squadron is pretty incredible. Im sure it would translate well with Star Trek!

#97995 Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

Posted by bgiles73 on 11 August 2023 - 01:22 PM in Playmates

Maybe not aimed at full blown model collectors but it still looks to be a fun play feature. I joked around about how it might be cool to have a Star Trek/TMNT mash up Enterprise with Pizza launcher like the van on Facebook. Now I really want one! Many collectors complaining about this need to realize that there are other companies already making the high end products they want. Lets let the kids and kids at heart have their products too!

#97974 Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

Posted by bgiles73 on 02 August 2023 - 12:48 PM in Playmates

Six Inch as well as Four inch. I have no idea why when I reply it omits quotation marks.

#97973 Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

Posted by bgiles73 on 02 August 2023 - 12:29 PM in Playmates

According to this Hiya will have 6 Star Trek figures as well as 4. They apparently have a license for all of the Star Trek live action shows and they are doing light and sound ships. Playmates just has no concept of Seize the Day!

https://blog.trekcor...elvin-timeline/

#97962 Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

Posted by bgiles73 on 30 July 2023 - 12:05 AM in Playmates

Does anyone here go to the forums at thefwoosh.com ? The server there had a catastrophic failure right in time for SDCC and has been down ever since. That forum is one of the best
and has really become what the forum here used to be. I am certainly going through withdraws and I hope they can get it back up and running. There was so much I wanted to discuss especially in the absence of Playmates Star Trek at SDCC. I know Star Trek Las Vegas is coming up but I find it pretty hopeless to count on there being any presence from Playmates in their panels. Oh well, I did however notice that www.playmatestoys.com is now showing a slide for both their Enterprise D ship with lights and sounds and their role play TOS Communicator coming in Fall 2023. Hopefully those Wave 2 figures shown at London Toy Fair will be coming too!

#97950 Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

Posted by bgiles73 on 24 July 2023 - 06:56 PM in Playmates

Playmates also shared that same message on their Instagram. With Playmates I guess I will believe it when I see it. Its hard to believe they passed up an event like SDCC to show off anything they might have in the works. If the still havent shown anything by the time of International Toy Fair New York in the Fall, I guess we can finally put a fork in it because that Turkey is surely done. That said, I am excited for the Hiya figures. Sure I would prefer they went with some of the other shows but I am happy to get what was shown too. As far as all the characters being similarly sized at 4 inches it doesnt bother me a whole lot. If Keenser is proportioned correctly I am good. A few inches in height from a six foot character and a five 1/2 foot character does not necessitate the expense of creating a totally different mold for me. Now if its the difference in height between Luke Skywalker and Chewbacca or Darth Vader then definitely variate those sculpts!

#97926 Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

Posted by bgiles73 on 26 June 2023 - 10:43 PM in Playmates

Well hopefully San Diego Comic-Con which is in a little less than a month will give Playmates an opportunity to present something there. I am pretty sure they will be there to at least show off some of their relaunch of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem line. Hopefully theyll at least show off Wave 2 of the figures they showed at London Toy Fair months ago and the Enterprise D and Communicator that they announced for Fall. There is also the New York International Toy Fair coming in October. This will be the first time since the pandemic so surely Playmates will want to take advantage of this! I have no insider information but if Playmates does the logical thing, surely this will be the course they take!

#97913 Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

Posted by bgiles73 on 08 June 2023 - 06:29 PM in Playmates

I agree with you. I miss the days when Kenner had cardbacks showing the whole line of action figures and boxed toys had the little catalogs. I used to look at pictures of GI Joe toys and spend hours dreaming about what I wanted to add to my growing collection. I also really miss Department Store Catalogs and Wishbooks. I now find myself missing those Collector Magazines of the 90s - Toyfare, Tomart, etc. Internet websites are too insufficient to generate the same kind of experience.

#97909 Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

Posted by bgiles73 on 02 June 2023 - 02:42 PM in Playmates

It seems companies are too busy putting legal jargon in multiple languages on their packaging nowadays to leave any room for cross promotions. Playmates is in no way visionary when it comes to using their Q Code in any kind of visionary way to grab kids attention either. Gone are the days of reading the backs of cereal boxes and finding entertainment. The same can be said for card backs on products like action figures. Coming to think of it I dont even think Happy Meal boxes are all that attention grabbing either! QR codes and interactivity are the kinds of gimmicks that Playmates will have to research and embrace to hold attention spans. Or they will be quickly forgotten and left behind.

#97906 Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

Posted by bgiles73 on 29 May 2023 - 11:06 AM in Playmates

They havent really stated what their plans are to the general public in two years. There are a few trade shows that they have addressed plans but these havent been open to the general public. Hopefully they will have something at San Diego Comic-Con in July, Star Trek Las Vegas Convention, New York Comic Con or New York Toy Fair in October. All of these events are really coming back strong after a long hiatus brought on by COVID restrictions. So I guess we cant totally blame Playmates for keeping us in the dark.

#97900 Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

Posted by bgiles73 on 20 May 2023 - 02:06 PM in Playmates

I definitely agree about cross-promotion on the card backs. As for TWOK figures and TOS Enterprise and Phaser lingering at Walmart I think its asking a lot to think three figures of old men are in any way going to inspire children to buy into an action figure line. I dont care how popular these might be to us older fans. Kids arent clamoring for Old Ben Kenobi and Moff Tarkin from Star Wars either! These younger Prodigy characters are more relatable to children. Hopefully Murf can be to this line as Grogu is to The Mandalorian.

#97897 Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

Posted by bgiles73 on 17 May 2023 - 10:29 PM in Playmates

Playmates themselves have confirmed the TOS communicator and Enterprise D on their Instagram feed. They really need to do better because not everyone follows social media. Theres also six figures coming that have only been shown at London Toy Fair. Hopefully Playmates will open up about future plans at San Diego Comic-Con and Star Trek Las Vegas Con this Summer. New York Comic-Con will be happening not long after and New York Toy Fair will be happening in October this year finally after a long absence. I think the positive takeaway from Playmates announcement on Instagram is that apparently online sales of Star Trek has been successful enough to warrant the continuation of their Star Trek line. I hope they will offer some kind of SDCC exclusive- Not something that wont be available to everyone that wants it but some kind of packaging variation. Nothing like that 1701 debacle from the 90s!

#97886 Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

Posted by bgiles73 on 11 May 2023 - 11:04 AM in Playmates

A few of us have been poking and prodding to no avail on social media and directly through customer service emails. Apparently their design and development team has chosen to remain silent. We are going to need a much bigger stick.

#97884 Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

Posted by bgiles73 on 09 May 2023 - 10:41 PM in Playmates

Ive heard rumors that the Enterprise D is getting another go at Playmates also. If this doesnt get in the way of other ships happening I am ok with that.

#97881 Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

Posted by bgiles73 on 05 May 2023 - 04:59 PM in Playmates

If we see the ship again in a Star Trek: Legacy series we might see it. I would have to say a new Enterprise D is a given. Im not sure the Discovery will get a ship because of the cancellation of the series after next season. Personally I would buy that ship if its made. I hope we get a modern line of new MicroMachines by Jazwares. Hopefully if they do they will give us stands with our ships like they did in the 90s with Galoob. Do everything just like Eaglemoss was doing so we have a good sizable collection.

#97879 Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

Posted by bgiles73 on 05 May 2023 - 12:30 PM in Playmates

For sure! I liked the look of that ship. Theres a whole lot of cool stuff from all of Star Treks history that could translate to some really awesome toys. I really dont understand how it hasnt been able to capture a multigenerational fan base the way Star Wars has. I hope the addition of Prodigy will help cultivate young viewers but Paramount will need to ensure that licensing continues to keep new products geared towards this next generation and generations going forward. One toy wave per year isnt cutting it.

#97877 Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

Posted by bgiles73 on 04 May 2023 - 09:36 PM in Playmates

Has anyone here gotten the Prodigy figures? I got a set last weekend shipped from Target. I really like them. I cant wait to also get Janeway and Rok-Tahk plus the Protostar and phaser. The deco and packaging on these is incredible. I plan to order a second set to keep mint on card. I really hope Playmates finds their stride and gets that Second Wave out to us so they can hopefully get on to more stuff like Lower Decks and Season 3 of Picard. I am also really hoping for some love for Enterprise. I really want to have that crew to display as we have never really had that whole crew in duty uniforms. Hoshi and Phlox were only available in spacesuits and Trip in Uniform was an exclusive. Also it would be nice to have complete waves from the JJ Abrams movies too. I have really high hopes. Please no let down!

#97874 Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

Posted by bgiles73 on 21 April 2023 - 01:14 AM in Playmates

Sadly Playmates has pretty much maintained radio silence with us lowly customers. They showed a Wave 2 in London consisting of Worf, Laforge,Q, 7of9 (All from TNG era 24th Century)Pike and Spock( As they appear in Discovery Season 2 not SNW)
Target and Entertainment Earth are reportedly shipping Prodigy figures. Amazon is still showing shipments in May. No word on anywhere else. So looks like Playmates distribution is leaving Big Bad Toy store hanging again like they did with their first wave.